PDA

View Full Version : Fox 6

spooln30
02-26-2014, 06:20 AM
Watching the Fox 6 morning News Today and they were reporting on the large amount of calls the city has been getting for potholes. No shit really? The funny thing was during the report they were saying that the city had received over 200 calls in the past week and then that's when the female anchor said " Give them a break, it's not their problem". Boy did I get a good laugh but it's kinda sad due to it being true. Anyway call these assholes up and report these wheel benders. The streets have taken a toll on my suspension this winter. Why do we have to pay that "City Tax" when getting our stickers again? Thought it was for better street repair. Just fill them in at least damn. Here's their number if anyone needs it. 414-286-CITY

twicks69
02-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Greenfield and Cleveland between Hwy 100 and Calhoun have turned into warzones. Holy shit! I think I caught air off some of the heaved sections. It makes Hwy F/74 between I94 and Watertown Plank Road look like dimples in the road.

95 TA - The Beast
02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I am amazed at how flexible concrete can be in these conditions... Areas that were perfectly smooth paved concrete are like driving on full sized speed bumps because all of the seams have heaved so badly...

As it stands I think the idiot governor should keep the excess in the budget and spend it on the roads... Oh, that's right, it is a re-election year so he wants to kiss ass to the morons that would be swayed by such a pittance of a kickback...

TheRX7Project
02-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Mitchell between 60th and Miller Park Way is like driving through a parking lot with speed bumps... terrible.

USMARINE1108
02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I am amazed at how flexible concrete can be in these conditions... Areas that were perfectly smooth paved concrete are like driving on full sized speed bumps because all of the seams have heaved so badly...

As it stands I think the idiot governor should keep the excess in the budget and spend it on the roads... Oh, that's right, it is a re-election year so he wants to kiss ass to the morons that would be swayed by such a pittance of a kickback...

It's not the concrete that people are complaining about, it's the asphalt. It cracks, drains water into the sand underneath which freezes, thaws and drains (washing away the sand) leaving holes under the road which give way to the weight of vehicles. AKA: Pothole. The concrete expansion/contraction is something taken into account when it's put in place and is known that it will happen. If you don't like it, whine about it when concrete is laid instead of asphalt.

The surplus is STATE money, not CITY money. It's not the Governor's problem, it's the idiot Mayor's problem. Barrett has asked the state for money (which comes from every tax payer in the state) which he will not get for good reason. Steven's Point doesn't get more money from the state to fix roads. Why should Mke get more money from the people of Steven's Point to fix something? That's why we have........................... local government (you know, to think about this stuff). Mayor Barrett, king of the Mke FSA.

awsomeears
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Tom Barrett should man up and drop his Choo Choo train Idea and allocate that $ to the roads..........

Neal Steffek
02-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Greenfield and Cleveland between Hwy 100 and Calhoun have turned into warzones. Holy shit! I think I caught air off some of the heaved sections. It makes Hwy F/74 between I94 and Watertown Plank Road look like dimples in the road.

I agree about Cleveland ave going West for sure. I take it every once in a while and I am sure I get some of the wheels of my jeep to leave the ground.

USMARINE1108
02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Tom Barrett should man up and drop his Choo Choo train Idea and allocate that $ to the roads..........

Well said.

spooln30
02-27-2014, 12:26 AM
I like how you try to blame our street conditions on Walker. It has nothing to do with him it's our dumb ass mayor. Walker has done great things for our state. I bet you voted for Obama too right. Complete idiots. Yeah let's spend millions on a trolley system that 4 people are gonna ride. Or pay criminal cops salaries after they commit crimes then claim emotional stress disorders. Yep it's all Walkers fault.

USMARINE1108
02-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Maybe Barrett will have those same FIBs that came up on busses to vote in the election come back up to fill the potholes.

05caddyext
02-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Actually Walker said he will be giving municipalities more money to fix roads this year, just not until the fall. While I agree this should be a local issue, nothing about this winter has been normal, we can all agree on that right? Every municipality in the state has been hit extra hard with snow removal costs and budget shortages for fixing roads. A lot of roads in Milwaukee are state roads, it's not just the cities responsibility to fix. I have 0 issue having the state spending more money on road repairs this year. The million dollar question is how much do you budget next year? Every municipality will probably over order on salt and snow removal equipment because money will be made available, and it will be our luck that we will have a light winter as a result. These types of budgeting situations are lose-lose for everyone. I am the manager at an Ace hardware. We have literally sold 8x the amount of salt we usually do, I don't care who you are, you can't predict that. We are also dealing with the propane issue like everyone else. We don't have a contract because we don't fill tanks, we only exchange them. Another store in our area who fills them is able to fill a 20# tank for $15.99 to the customer, my 20# exchange tanks are currently at #24.99 and we are paying $24 even for them. This winter was extra crappy for a number of reasons and will probably lead to a crappy spring with flooding because the frost is so deep in the ground, when it rains it will have nowhere to go. The pothole situation is crazy, and will continue to be bad for a few months. Asphalt patch simply doesn't work when it's this cold out, and it's expensive right now because most plants aren't even close to being open yet.

USMARINE1108
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Actually Walker said he will be giving municipalities more money to fix roads this year, just not until the fall. While I agree this should be a local issue, nothing about this winter has been normal, we can all agree on that right? Every municipality in the state has been hit extra hard with snow removal costs and budget shortages for fixing roads. A lot of roads in Milwaukee are state roads, it's not just the cities responsibility to fix. I have 0 issue having the state spending more money on road repairs this year. The million dollar question is how much do you budget next year? Every municipality will probably over order on salt and snow removal equipment because money will be made available, and it will be our luck that we will have a light winter as a result. These types of budgeting situations are lose-lose for everyone. I am the manager at an Ace hardware. We have literally sold 8x the amount of salt we usually do, I don't care who you are, you can't predict that. We are also dealing with the propane issue like everyone else. We don't have a contract because we don't fill tanks, we only exchange them. Another store in our area who fills them is able to fill a 20# tank for $15.99 to the customer, my 20# exchange tanks are currently at #24.99 and we are paying $24 even for them. This winter was extra crappy for a number of reasons and will probably lead to a crappy spring with flooding because the frost is so deep in the ground, when it rains it will have nowhere to go. The pothole situation is crazy, and will continue to be bad for a few months. Asphalt patch simply doesn't work when it's this cold out, and it's expensive right now because most plants aren't even close to being open yet.

Good points, but I have to point out that not every city in the state is asking for more money even though they have a lower proportion of people/miles of state roads in their towns. The state giving more money is part of the state's budget and goes to every city/town, not a handout to an individual city.

DNT H8
02-27-2014, 03:18 PM
it's the asphalt. It cracks, drains water into the sand underneath which freezes, thaws and drains (washing away the sand) leaving holes. The concrete expansion/contraction is something taken into account when it's put in place and is known that it will happen. If you don't like it, whine about it when concrete is laid instead of asphalt.
Lotta truth here...
Most states that have a brain use reenforced concrete UNDER a top layer of asphalt. Once that top layer erods its easily discarded for a fresh layer of asphalt. And the base is always there... cost effective, smart, and structurally sound. I have no idea why WI thought is was smart to use concrete as a top layer for roads (in this enviroment) and then to add insult to injury use a sand/stone base under asphalt.

77thor
02-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Maybe Barrett will have those same FIBs that came up on busses to vote in the election come back up to fill the potholes.

Say what???

USMARINE1108
02-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Say what???

http://www.thoughtsfromaconservativemom.com/2012/06/unions-democrats-bus-in-non-residents-to-vote-illegally-in-wisconsin-recall-election/

There is quite a bit of info on it.

77thor
02-27-2014, 06:02 PM
http://www.thoughtsfromaconservativemom.com/2012/06/unions-democrats-bus-in-non-residents-to-vote-illegally-in-wisconsin-recall-election/

There is quite a bit of info on it.

Oh... that's just conservative rag B.S.
You can't believe everything that you read.

Contrary to what you may have heard; they can put stuff on the internet that is NOT TRUE.

Korndogg
02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
You mean this site isn't legit? Come on, it's on the internet!

http://www.bobscashflow.com/

LIL EVO
02-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Lotta truth here...
Most states that have a brain use reenforced concrete UNDER a top layer of asphalt. Once that top layer erods its easily discarded for a fresh layer of asphalt. And the base is always there... cost effective, smart, and structurally sound. I have no idea why WI thought is was smart to use concrete as a top layer for roads (in this enviroment) and then to add insult to injury use a sand/stone base under asphalt.

I'm pretty sure they've been doing this on the new interchanges. I was wondering why they laid down nice concrete just to cover it up with asphalt.

jbiscuit
02-28-2014, 09:26 PM
lil evo is right 94 down near Kenosha got that treatment. Thick concrete base with an asphalt too layer. Asphalt by itself in WI is 100% useless. It will look decent for a short time, then it cracks and bulges and dips. Worthless. Concrete by itself at least lasts.

spooln30
03-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Driving down Lisbon Ave today and knowing almost every pot hole or sunk man hole cover, I noticed that they actually covered the man holes with asphalt. Funny thing is they didn't even fill the pot holes that are on the same few blocks and they are deep ones. Although the sunk man holes were really bad all the way down Lisbon from 76th down past the police station I don't understand why they wouldn't fill the damn pot holes. Irritating! I called the city six days ago about some big holes down Whitnall near Pine and they're still there. It's not just one or two but like a half a block of pot holes, all in a row. Glad i don't have my summer wheels one because i am for sure they would be bent to hell.

USMARINE1108
03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Oh... that's just conservative rag B.S.
You can't believe everything that you read.

Contrary to what you may have heard; they can put stuff on the internet that is NOT TRUE.

No way...............

03CVLX
03-01-2014, 01:39 PM
My Dad retired from Milwaukee DPW a couple years ago. The bigger part of the problem that not even the media has mentioned is that the city doesn't start getting hot mix asphalt in from the contractor until march or april every year. I think it was 5-10 years ago now that the City leaders and Mayor Tom tore down the city's own asphalt plant to make way for the Harley Museum. All they have been able to do since then is throw some cold patch in the holes which is just a very temporary fix for the bad potholes.... It usually doesn't hold up or is a very uneven and bumpy repair

indyzmike
03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Build the trolley, it will be the only pothole free ride in the city.

spooln30
03-01-2014, 07:10 PM
^ Even that probably won't last long. Lol.