PDA

View Full Version : Having a car shipped.

-stew-
02-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Fingers crossed, I'm gonna be needing a car transported from Georgia up here to Wisconsin. There is no real rush, but the sooner the better. I don't need enclosed transport. The car runs and drives under it's own power. I tried getting some quotes online, and my emailbox overflowed and my phone blew up with high pressure sales calls. Three numbers I got were, $600, $550, and $700.

Who has done this and can offer some advice? The sales people talk a lot of the other guys changing rates and bait and switch type operations once they get a deposit. Thanks in advance!

awsomeears
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Jump on " The HAMB " forum and look at the classifieds, there are a few guys that do it, not only that other members by the dozen attest to there work.

DNT H8
02-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Im often in this boat when PCSing... and to be honest I always end up renting a full car dolly from U-Haul and towing the car myself, I find the cost often is crazy for outside companys and Im not trusting the ppl the Army uses lol. I say rent the dolly, borrow a truck, and make a road trip...

Moparjim
02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
My advice is definitely make sure you use an actual shipper that is actually going to move the car themselves. A lot of them are really more like "brokers" and will quote you a price then try to wait around and find someone willing to take it or add it to a multi car load already going similar route... Those places are the ones that typically it ends up a) taking them forever to actually ship the car, and/or b) they cannot find anyone to do it for the price they quoted and already have your non refundable deposit before hitting you with the "now its going to cost this much" increases...

-stew-
02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I got a quote from a guy off the HAMB ($550-575.) I'm gonna talk with a co-work who is having a car shipped tomorrow. The shipping quotes off ebay are $575-800, gonna call a couple of them tomorrow. And I'm gonna talk to a friends retired father about having him go down there and get it. None of the prices I've seen seem to be outrageous. Now I just gotta wait!

michelle
02-24-2014, 06:38 PM
What's the vehicle?

-stew-
02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Mark 8.

95 TA - The Beast
02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
I concur... Unless you are spending big money ($1k or more) I wouldn't trust the "service" you would get from these people...

Go get the car yourself, or pay someone you can trust to go get it.

I have done the whole "fly down and drive it back" on at least a few occasions... In all cases were a matter of driving decent vehicles back here to Wisconsin. For picking up something that needs work or that you wouldn't "trust", go and get it yourself. Even if you pay someone else to drive it back it isn't the same thing as showing up and making sure it is loaded up properly and is what you expect it to be. If it isn't that important to you, then by all means go cheap and be prepared to deal with the hassles involved.

Lash
02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I had good luck with Transcar. Shipped a car from here to Ft. Hood with zero issues. They had good communication with both me and the buyer as well.

MoreTorque
03-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I've used RATMoves.com plenty of times. No issues. Easy to call and talk to someone.

-stew-
03-24-2014, 07:12 PM
I ended up going with a guy local to the seller, who the seller had used for local stuff before. All in all it took longer than I wished would have and was kind of a headache; as they say, you get what you pay for. But I didn't pay top dollar and I wasn't under any kind of time restrictions. Oh well, water under the bridge now; car showed up yesterday.

CATNHAT
03-24-2014, 11:08 PM
I need the same thing except for a boat. From Jacksonville Arkansas to Pewaukee. Heard a lot about U-ship? Testing the waters now. Any leads would be appreciated.

Good Luck!

-stew-
03-25-2014, 04:58 AM
I put this haul on u-ship for $750 and was contacted by two people that said they would do it for that, but I never heard from them after their initial contact. The guy that ended up hauling the car saw it on u-ship, contacted the seller because they had worked together before and got my contact info. We set the thing up outside of u-ship.

Boat might be a little trickier. Throw it up on u-ship and see what happens.

The_Greg
04-10-2014, 10:33 AM
My advice is definitely make sure you use an actual shipper that is actually going to move the car themselves. A lot of them are really more like "brokers" and will quote you a price then try to wait around and find someone willing to take it or add it to a multi car load already going similar route... Those places are the ones that typically it ends up a) taking them forever to actually ship the car, and/or b) they cannot find anyone to do it for the price they quoted and already have your non refundable deposit before hitting you with the "now its going to cost this much" increases...

I know I'm late to this party as OP already got vehicle, but I used a broker: Mercury Auto Transport. I used them because they were cheapest for an enclosed trailer from LA to WI, and know of two other WI people who also had a good experience with them. Mine was on time, the car was well documented, and the driver personally updated me with the status. I think I saved about $200 versus any non-broker quote.

pOrk
04-10-2014, 05:18 PM
brokers are great, I used one to ship the beetle when I sold it. $350 to St Louis from my driveway