PDA

View Full Version : Nice Campgrounds in SE WI

BoosTT
02-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Trying to plan some trips this summer. I have a 19' travel trailer and we usually end in the Montello, WI area. What are some other nice campgrounds? I'm willing to travel about 5 hours from Waukesha county and love camping on the ATV trails. My wife refuses to camp at Doc's bunkhouse.
River Bend Resort is close and decent for RV'ers (Think it would be too noisy for a tent though).

http://rbresort.com/

Old Guy
02-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Think about coming up to North East Wis. Shores of Lake Michigan to name a few. Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Two Rivers, Kewaunee, Algoma on up to Door Co. Many camp grounds with a great view and very nice weather and the big lake to keep you cool.

USMARINE1108
02-13-2014, 11:38 AM
I've been looking into the same thing! I don't want to go quite that far, I've been looking at Lake Beulah for some weekend trips with the kids. I would imagine the Dells has some good places too, but there has to be something cheaper and less crowded around here.

BoosTT
02-13-2014, 12:17 PM
I've been looking into the same thing! I don't want to go quite that far, I've been looking at Lake Beulah for some weekend trips with the kids. I would imagine the Dells has some good places too, but there has to be something cheaper and less crowded around here.

I recommend avoiding camping in the dells area. Not too many nice campgrounds (most are parking lots).

Kohler-Andrae in Sheboygan is nice and on the sand dunes of Lake MI.

Reverend Cooper
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Plymouth rock.and its right across from road america

Waver
02-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Plymouth rock.and its right across from road america

I happen to know the guy who runs it.

Reverend Cooper
02-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Ugh....scarey

Waver
02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt mess with Rich....he is a great guy.

jbiscuit
02-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Plymouth Rock, Governor Dodge SP, Kohler Andrae...plenty of good ones. And yes avoid the Dells especially may - sept

noeggs4u
02-14-2014, 05:45 AM
Devils lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wrinkled Wrider
02-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Calumet County park on Lake Winnebago (east side, on Cty. EE near Sherwood) is nice. Showers, tent sites, lakeside sites, fishing, boat launch & hiking trails.
Pike Lake state park near Slinger is ok, but campground is pretty far from the lake. The most popular state parks (Peninsula, Devil's Lake, Point Beach, Kettle Moraine North, etc.) will probably require reservations.

spooln30
02-15-2014, 03:36 AM
Not sure about campgrounds but if you want the best atv trails in the state then look for ground in the Crivitz area. Like Marinette, Oconto and Florence counties. I know for sure there's campgrounds throughout these counties and plenty of other things to check out. The waterfalls in Marinette and surrounding areas are pretty cool to check out and a few of the waterfalls are on atv trails so you can check them out while hitting the trails. Imo the trails in Florence country are great, there are some crazy hills to fly up and down plus there is a couple trails that are pretty tricky with rocks or should I say boulders you have to climb over. It's a blast and I go almost every weekend during the atv season. Great times.

spooln30
02-15-2014, 03:42 AM
If you want a real adventure then the place to go is Drummond Island in the UP. Went there last year and we all had a blast. It's kinda a adventure getting there as you have to take a ferry just to get onto the island. There's a few campgrounds on the island and the atv trails are amazing. Check this out you won't be disappointed. Only problem is its about a 8-8.5 hour drive from Milwaukee but well worth it.

wrath
02-15-2014, 07:10 AM
5 hours gets you well into the Upper Peninsula. If you're willing to do rustic then once you go to the Upper Peninsula you will probably never go camping in Wisconsin again.

Reverend Cooper
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
miscauno Island is where its really at