PDA

View Full Version : Dealer license info?

Memphis
02-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Ive been wanting to get a dealer license but dont want to actually open a used car lot. Basically I want to be able to go to the auction and pick up a car now and again, maybe to flip maybe to drive. Is there a way to do that without having a 'lot with a showroom to sell cars?

Moparjim
02-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Not that I know of... I looked into it many times and you are required to have a showroom/lot to prevent people like us from getting it lol.

-stew-
02-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Indiana used to be a real easy state to get a dealers licence from, but now you need a physical office and phone number in the state of Indiana. There are companies that will "lease" you an "office" with a working phone. Its $3-400 a year I think. And they seem scammy. I looked into it a while back.

VroomPshhTsi
02-09-2014, 09:12 PM
Just use your home for the physical office, your home phone for the phone number, and your driveway for the lot.
If anyone asks how much a car on your "lot" is, say $100,000 (sarcasm font needed).

Moparjim
02-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Cannot be a residence, and it cannot just be a lot last time I checked. Had to have something along the lines of "indoor showroom" space I thought... It is real difficult without a legit commercial property basically.

One idea might be to find a performance or other auto related shop that has no interest in getting a dealer's license and like someone said toss them a few bucks just to let you use the address.

Memphis
02-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Id be more than happy to do that if it was someone I could trust...but yeah, looks like a pita to do it on your own. Zoned for a car lot, showroom, square footage to park cars insurance etc etc....

Waver
02-11-2014, 08:58 AM
For what you are looking to do, you might want to look into a Wholesalers license.....

Memphis
02-11-2014, 10:06 PM
someone else mentioned that today, Ill have to look in that direction.

Memphis
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah, doesnt look like a much more viable option. About the only diference is no showroom needed.