PDA

View Full Version : Because everyone seems to be getting pissy lately, a riddle.

USMARINE1108
02-08-2014, 01:21 PM
"On the incredibly dark black night of June 21, 2010, you are totally alone in a row boat at Latitude 0 degrees North and Longitude 180 degrees West (Equator, international date line). You have no artificial means of telling time (ie. No watch, no phone, no radio, no navigational or nautical instruments). The sea is dead calm. There is no wind or current. The sky is completely overcast. You cannot see the moon or any stars. There are no animals, birds, or fish within 50 miles of your location. The nearest ship or land mass is over 500 miles away. Question: How can you tell when it is EXACTLY MIDNIGHT ??"

Reverend Cooper
02-08-2014, 06:06 PM
I will defer to dennis....he has all the answers.lolol

British_Ben
02-08-2014, 09:02 PM
I'll give this a shot.

The date line distinguishes date by +/-24 hours, so while it's not technically 0:00 on a clock all the time, it is the border between dates all the time, so it's always midnight.

GHOSST
02-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Would it be midnight all over the world at that exact moment? I dunno.. My real answer is you'd be totally fucked.

95 TA - The Beast
02-09-2014, 03:12 PM
My best guess at this moment would be the bio-luminescent algae lighting up at exactly midnight. I know they are tied to gravitational pull and the time of the evening they light up crosses over at midnight on the solstice, being after midnight before and before midnight after. That would be supported by the calm seas (needed for them to light up) as well as the absence of fish and birds and animals (they won't always light up in the presence of intruders, ie, they like to be "passive" not agitated to light up).

Even tho there are islands within the 500 mile radius mentioned. And outside of a tomahawk missle test in the pacific ocean on June 21st, 2010, there is no reference to any timed military testing on that date, let alone timed at midnight. If there was and it is so difficult to find it pretty much invalidates the riddle.

In reality, if you were at that location and there was no animals, birds or fish within 50 miles and there was no land mass within 500 miles that would actually mean the world was at an end since it is a lot of open ocean (with the high probability of some sealife within those 50 miles) with land masses within that range at sea level. Since the world did not end at that time on that date it can be postulated that the entirety of the riddle is false. If you were in the air that would mean you could potentially see the sun on the horizon over the north pole (since they have 24 hours of sunlight on the summer solstice), but that would mean you are well above the cloud layer and into outer space, so the whole row boat thing doesn't make sense.

Again, the closest thing to answer it would be the light-up algae... The argument it is midnight somewhere only lasts for half the evening since it obviously becomes the 22nd halfway through the evening and it is the last place on the planet to have midnight.

Ricky Bobby
02-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Wtf.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GHOSST
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Lol, straight logic right there.

spooln30
02-12-2014, 02:51 AM
Yep British is right its always midnight.

jbiscuit
02-12-2014, 06:01 AM
You all are just jealous of Dennis' superior intelligence

GHOSST
02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Hey, my dumb ass wasn't far off, lol. Not close either, but in the ball park.. kinda.. hahaha