PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater

05caddyext
01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Does anyone here have a amp for their home theater setup? Ive got a set of 4ohm MTX AAL2230's and they require at least 200wpc to really kick hard. I'd like some opinions on amps if anyone is running one. Has to be 4ohm stable. Carver A400x is perfect, hard to come by. One available on Ebay, I've never bought anything from Ebay. Seller has 100% positive feedback, anything I should be concerned with or should I just go for it?

BoosTT
01-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I have the same speakers. You don't need an amp. I run them off an Marantz integrated amp rated for 140 watts at 4 ohms (70 watts at 8 ohms). I can only turn the volume up about 85%-90% or they will blow the dual 12"'s. I've had this setup for probably 14 years.

I would not buy an high end amp for these speakers. They don't sound good enough to justify it. The speakers are designed to sound OK at loud volumes.

05caddyext
01-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Only reason I ask is that a friend of mine has the same setup with the carver amp and they sound amazing. I am only running 100wpc. I am used to amping car speakers, been into car stereo for a very long time. I know they aren't world class speakers, for bang for your buck wise they are pretty nice. Plus that Carver amp used to retail over $1500, it's dirt cheap now. Only concern is that the speakers are probably at least 12 years old. They made these speakers in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm configurations, I know I have the 4, have tested with multimeter a few times to make sure everything is working properly.

BoosTT
01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
You can use an equalizer to make them sound much better. The problem is the huge 6" midrange speaker is over powering. I run a 15dB equalizer and it helps a ton.

Like I said, I don't think wattage is a huge concern. You are probably putting out 100WPC at 8 ohms. That should translate to 200WPC at 4 ohms- more than enough. Plenty to blow these speakers, actually.