PDA

View Full Version : Would you haul your car to another shop or wait?

Nickerz
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM
So I have my Syclone getting worked on by what was supposed to be a "reputable" place to do interior work on it. I decided to go suede on the interior and get the carpet redone and various other things while I got the drivetrain sorted out later for the LS\80E swap. I dropped it off in July. Here's what's happened since then

Remote locks installed (supposedly)
Interior ripped out
Dash is covered
Headliner is done (looks fantastic honestly)

This was supposed to be 2 months tops (with a ton of other things being done too). Now admittedly there were some delays on my part for a while. But I figured I had a big enough pile of work that things would just be worked on in parallel. That was I guess not the case. Not to mention I stopped in before hand to "schedule" a time where there would be time to work on it. I pretty much feel like this was just made up to seem like they didn't just accept every job, which is the feeling I get now. Pack the place full of cars, do them in the order of profit and noise level from the owner.

My main issue has been that I can't get a hold of the shop owner and all the people that work there seem to be completely powerless to do anything. I would just stop in like once or twice a month and it'd be a lot of lip service but no real progress. I would say that 70% of the times I've come in, owner has been gone. So I can only assume he's gone 70% of the time. And when I do talk to this person or the other people in the shop it's like I'm talking into a hole. Like "hey what's going on with x and y?" And you talk to them about it next month and the answer is "oh... idk?"

Some other issues that popped up

Somehow overspray got onto my factory rims, which I stayed cool about, but WTF? How do you let paint from another project just drift onto a car sitting in your location? My concern is that obviously some of this paint made it's way onto the outside of my truck over the clearcoat. I was not pleased to show up and see black paint on my factory rims. (even if the factory rims are in only so so condition)
They were supposed to install an ABS delete kit. From what I've read on the forums this is an extremely easy task. They have had a ton of trouble trying to figure out how to do this and they don't seem willing to own the task. They keep asking me to call this company to straighten things out. They mention they can't finish this task because they aren't given a certain type of fittings. Why not just get them and finish the job?

I will not mention who this is unless after I sort this out I feel like they haven't made this right. I don't understand how a shop with a good name can be so awful at communication and want a vehicle to sit in their shop for so long. But the feeling I get is if you don't have an exotic car or a big corporate project, you're no body.

Please do not try and guess the shop unless this goes sour. I don't want this popping up on google for the rest of time for them unless they continue to just drop the ball here.

What really drove me over the edge here is that it is apparently impossible to get this shop to stay in regular communication. I just can't tell you how frustrating it is and how ridiculous it is to see your truck covered in dust while you see cars coming in and leaving the shop all the time.

At this point I'm about ready to ask them to get it driveable again (abs), put a seat in it and drive it to another shop that is supposedly less reputable. I feel that the only fair way to handle this is to pay for materials and time for the ABS, locks, headliner and dash and get the thing out of there. I'd expect a full detail on the truck and a discount on their time and labor for fucking me around. And fuck a whole bunch of the rate for tearing it apart if you can't finish it.

But I just can't understand how this shop got a good reputation unless they only treat exotic car owners good and everyone else like dog shit.

Moparjim
01-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Well once upon a time I found myself in this situation and tried to and still try to "remain cool" about it despite the fact that months and months were going by, price was increasing, and at some point Ihad paid for the entire job ahead of completion. Next thing i knew a 6 month project had turned into over 3 years, the shop was going out of business, and I was picking up a car in pieces with about half the work paid for completed. So my advice would be to yes try to remain cool, but sounds like it is time to sit down with the owner and get some firm dates down in writing before it ends up dragging on forever.

Nickerz
01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Well once upon a time I found myself in this situation and tried to and still try to "remain cool" about it despite the fact that months and months were going by, price was increasing, and at some point Ihad paid for the entire job ahead of completion. Next thing i knew a 6 month project had turned into over 3 years, the shop was going out of business, and I was picking up a car in pieces with about half the work paid for completed. So my advice would be to yes try to remain cool, but sounds like it is time to sit down with the owner and get some firm dates down in writing before it ends up dragging on forever.

It doesn't sound like they're willing to do that. When I tried bringing that up it was "well we can't give you a guaranteed date blah blah." The best they gave me is "about two months" from now. But I appreciate this reply. I don't think they're going out of business, but they definitely don't give a shit about smaller projects. I think I'm mostly in my head convinced I need to pull the plug. So I'm going to look for another shop right now.

My thoughts are how do you handle payment, what's fair?

What do you pay a shop that drops the ball on all this? You pay them market rate for dicking you around?

Moparjim
01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
No clue...sounds like you face many of the similar problems I faced - the shop started the project and has your car in pieces so now if you do indeed try to take it elsewhere you will most likely be out a ton of money not to mention transporting it, paying another shop to start over, etc. In my case it was a local guy known by many on here and known to do great work so I just tried to ride it out despite all the warning signs. I still to this day believe and try to give the benefit of the doubt that I was not screwed intentionally, but that doesn't make the many thousands I was screwed out of hurt my finances any less...Not to mention the years the car spent just sitting around in pieces at a shop. Speaking frankly about it, the car I am talking about is now sitting in my garage for the last few years, still unfinished largely not only because of the budgetary setback from the whole deal, but also the mental setback lol. Every time I look at it now I just see a ton of wasted time, money, energy, etc. and a ton more still to do - it is very hard to get motivated to finish it at this point so I just keep walking past it in the garage...

95 TA - The Beast
01-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Nickerz, clear your inbox please...

Nickerz
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Nickerz, clear your inbox please...

Done good sir.

Nickerz
01-03-2014, 03:55 PM
No clue...sounds like you face many of the similar problems I faced - the shop started the project and has your car in pieces so now if you do indeed try to take it elsewhere you will most likely be out a ton of money not to mention transporting it, paying another shop to start over, etc. In my case it was a local guy known by many on here and known to do great work so I just tried to ride it out despite all the warning signs. I still to this day believe and try to give the benefit of the doubt that I was not screwed intentionally, but that doesn't make the many thousands I was screwed out of hurt my finances any less...Not to mention the years the car spent just sitting around in pieces at a shop. Speaking frankly about it, the car I am talking about is now sitting in my garage for the last few years, still unfinished largely not only because of the budgetary setback from the whole deal, but also the mental setback lol. Every time I look at it now I just see a ton of wasted time, money, energy, etc. and a ton more still to do - it is very hard to get motivated to finish it at this point so I just keep walking past it in the garage...

I had another issue with IronHandRacing in Madison. Where it took 6 months to pull a motor, and I know exactly what you're talking about. I also had a "friend" take my car from another shop and drive it without permission. The car never felt the same after that. So I understand that point of defeat you speak of very well. Where something you care about is mistreated by people you trust, and then it just becomes overwhelming trying to fix all the damage that's been done. I've had some really bad luck with shops. And more and more I've just come to realize that you can only trust the established big boys. I'm not talking about "has good reviews, local" place. "Or a couple members work with them and they're going to be big."

It's really starting to get to the point where I should open a shop here. I know how to run a business much more competently that's for sure. One of the things I mentioned is that I service 2-4,000 customers a month and you can't service 20?

Wish I knew more people that wanted to wrench on cars for cash that were detail oriented, but that seems to be the issue. The people that know how to do it, open their own shops. That people that get taught how to do it work somewhere and then open their own shops. Of those people very few have any formal business training or desire to run a business, it's more or less a way to have a hobby that pays them for doing it.

BoosTT
01-03-2014, 07:12 PM
From what I have seen: if you are not on top of it from the get-go, things can drag on and it's near impossible to get it back on track. If you let it slide 3+ months already, it's a lost cause. Maybe their intern will finish your car in their spare time....

wrath
01-03-2014, 09:06 PM
People that run "mom and pop" shops need to be managed like schoolchildren. Literally you must have a Gantt chart to keep them on task. Usually they're good at working on automobiles but little else.

The money you spent is long gone. They are waiting for another person's money to liberate to use to finish your car.

The part that has always amazed me is how many terrible shops there are in Wisconsin. How are they staying afloat?

Nickerz
01-04-2014, 12:25 AM
People that run "mom and pop" shops need to be managed like schoolchildren. Literally you must have a Gantt chart to keep them on task. Usually they're good at working on automobiles but little else.

The money you spent is long gone. They are waiting for another person's money to liberate to use to finish your car.

The part that has always amazed me is how many terrible shops there are in Wisconsin. How are they staying afloat?

The part that chaps my ass is this is a well known shop that does plenty of exotics and corporate customers. I'd understand if this was some new business trying to get off the ground, but it's not.

So I think it's not a money issue, but certainly agree on your gantt chart reference, lol. Project management fistbump broseph!

nismodave
01-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Take your shit and roast them on the boards and Facebook!

jbiscuit
01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
^this. Why would you want to keep this a secret and possibly allow other board members to be taken advantage of

Nix
01-04-2014, 09:02 AM
It kinda seems like you are about out of options. At this point it would be a double eged sword if you spilled the beans and gave out the shop name.

It could get back to them and it could have several outcomes.

1) You light a fire under their ass and they finish up the job to get you outta their hair.

2) They feel as if you're bashing them and they become even more like dicks and continue what their doing.

3) They tell you to come and get your shit.

4) They apologize, finish up and send you on your way.

I'm not a lawyer but if it reaches a certain level ( Im not saying it will and I'm 99% sure it wouldn't ) but could it be construed as slander? That is a legitimate question.

Sent from my PrimeCo Phone (Circa 1997)

pOrk
01-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I'd pull it and cut losses, if you haven't paid them yet then you get a quote from the place you decide to take it to to FINISH it, and subtract that number from the total the first shop quoted ( assuming its less ) and call it a day. Chances are if you pay them less they will take you to court and this way you have your ducks in a row for an easy win in court.

Nickerz
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I'd pull it and cut losses, if you haven't paid them yet then you get a quote from the place you decide to take it to to FINISH it, and subtract that number from the total the first shop quoted ( assuming its less ) and call it a day. Chances are if you pay them less they will take you to court and this way you have your ducks in a row for an easy win in court.

This is extremely helpful. Thank you very much. I am actually most concerned about a retaliatory bill at this point.

95mustang302
01-04-2014, 10:24 PM
This is extremely helpful. Thank you very much. I am actually most concerned about a retaliatory bill at this point.

As long as you get your stuff back the only thing theu can do as far as a second bill is take you to small clains which from the little info it seems you would win. Just be sure to get your truck out first or they can file a mechanics lien.

Boostaddct
01-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Yea if they take that long and start booking more and more business they are most likely just over their head and procrastinating on yours....You should definitely out them so you can save others from making the same mistake with this place....you aren't bashing them in this thread....just giving members here feedback on your experience...if they get wind of this thread then they should make it right and you can update this thread and say they made it right....

Waver
01-06-2014, 10:04 AM
I can understand why he dosnt want to out the shop as of yet while they still have his car hostage. Any how, I owuld pay them for the work that they have done. Reminds me of an experience that another member had encountered with another shop and interior installs..........

Maybe SloJoe can enlighten us on his experience and what is still messed up several years later.

blackmage
01-06-2014, 10:25 AM
the only input i have is just get your rig out of there before any bashing happens. I could only imagine the crap someone would try to pull if they found this thread with their name all over it and they still had your vehicle in their garage :-/

2006wrxtr
01-06-2014, 05:41 PM
This happened when I was getting the Boss block 347 built for Sonic Blue 90LX along with a new fuel system, K-member and some other odds and ends done.
Not quite as long a delay as you others but it was scheduled to be wrapped up in August and wasn't until around Thanks Giving.. They had installed the Oil Pan
and a rod bolt was hitting a baffle in the pan (just a little tick) they charged me $250 (1/2) of labor to pull the pan, to clearance it. To boot they wouldn't give me an invoice until I showed up at the shop with the cash to pick up the car.
After I broke in the engine I took the car to get dyno tuned, the Posi Locks started breaking. They had push rods that were a 1/2" longer than needed. When I called and told them what was happening they said bring it in we will check it out. I told them it wasn't drivable and they offered no assistance in getting it over to the shop.
I have made the decision that if I ever do build another car, everything is going to have to be in writing. I understand delays but some things get ridiculous..

Nickerz
01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Work magically started back up and I got a detailed email with progress pictures. I'm assuming someone contacted the shop in question and lit a fire under their ass. We'll see how it goes from here.

srt4eh
01-09-2014, 12:31 AM
That's good to hear

Boostaddct
01-09-2014, 03:37 AM
Sounds like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx maybe...

SSDude
01-09-2014, 04:58 AM
While its good to hear they finally sobered up I find it disappointing that a Member here may encounter the same problems if the shop isn't outed. Bad service shouldn't be rewarded with silence.

Nickerz
01-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Sounds like

Can you please edit your post? I was pretty clear about this that I didn't want any speculation on which shop it is.

jbiscuit
01-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Bad service shouldn't be rewarded with silence.

This. Not cool to let other BCM members possibly be taken advantage of. No harm in just letting people know to proceed with caution when using ______ shop.

xxtremeteam
01-09-2014, 10:00 AM
double post

xxtremeteam
01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Sounds like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx maybe...

Nickerz I dont see the issue you didnt confirm this shop or deny this as the shop with the issue, it should have zero affect on you or your truck

WickedSix
01-09-2014, 11:31 AM
I thought they already had a bad reputation with customers whose net worth is under a couple mil?

JRink
01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Hey Nickerz. I feel your pain. I've gone through this bullshit with 3 different shops. 1 in MN, 1 in WI, and 1 in IL. It sucks donkey balls because they do have your car held hostage basically and you DO want to work with them and be reasonable, but it just plain sucks when a shop has poor communication skills and you see cars coming and going while your car sits, and sits, and sits. I've tried everything from paying ahead of time, to being a nice guy, to being a complete jerk and yelling at shop owners, to just going there with a trailer and taking the car. -sigh- Really do hope you get it worked out. Keep us updated.

JR