PDA

View Full Version : No more Holden Brand....

Prince Valiant
12-11-2013, 09:46 PM
GM to stop building cars in Austrailia :(

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304744304579251063457863776?mod=e2 fb

twicks69
12-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Fucking morons. Holden and HSV is the biggest seller in AUS; if they were smart they would bring the products and designs to the USA. Then they would have a kickass lineup.

pOrk
12-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Morons? They haven't made money in Australia in 6 years. Besides, nobody buys local anymore when you can get more for less from Asia. Just like here, people buy themselves out of jobs.

WhatsADSM
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Morons? They haven't made money in Australia in 6 years. Besides, nobody buys local anymore when you can get more for less from Asia. Just like here, people buy themselves out of jobs.

Agreed.

Sucks, but I can see why they left. It's not clear that Holden, as a brand, is dead so much as the manufacturing of the vehicles in AUS.

Prince Valiant
12-12-2013, 01:41 PM
I've always loved Austrailia...and part of what I loved about it was the unique car-market it has. Lots of RWD vehicles still produced, quirky, and unique.

Throw all of AU's other pluses (cute girls, awesome beaches, killer fishing, unique wildlife, dingos) and it'd be the country I'd most want to move to if not the US. Hopefully they're able to retain their unique car culture.

Anyone ever watch "Might Car Mods" on youtube? Great little show with unique cars that we never see, even on european market shows.

lordairgtar
12-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Australian cars are pretty cool. Ford as well is stopping building in Oz, and Toyota is thinking about leaving as well. It's because of Australia's strong dollar and the high minimum wage they pay, plus other factors like buying cars from other Asian importers like Nissan and Kia and Hyundai. The PM of Australia said he would try and do things for Toyota to stay, but he certainly did not do that for Holden or Ford. So it is safe to say he really won't do anything for Toyota. As for quality, Holden and Fords are built quite well. Because the car culture in Oz is unique, it's a sad day indeed. I do not know if Holden or Ford as a brand is staying in Oz with product from the US or Europe.

lordairgtar
12-21-2013, 12:09 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/holden-to-cease-making-cars-in-australia-in-2017-while-toyota-considers-if-it-can-go-it-alone/story-fni0fiyv-1226780690797
It seems wierd that all three manufacturers are pulling out of Australia.

GTSLOW
12-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Fucking morons. Holden and HSV is the biggest seller in AUS; if they were smart they would bring the products and designs to the USA. Then they would have a kickass lineup.

They may have sold them but I guess all the BS dealings with AU was the issue?

lordairgtar
12-25-2013, 01:48 AM
I heard from an Aussie friend that the Holden brand will still be in Oz. It'll go from rear drive V8s to front drive four bangers made in China.