PDA

View Full Version : Fox news reporting Paul Walker dead of a car accident

lit666
11-30-2013, 09:21 PM
was he driving to fast and furious?

lit666
11-30-2013, 09:35 PM
NAAAWWWWZZZZZ

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1424524_10152085773895460_1630338850_n.jpg

Irish
11-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Damn!

sidewayzbimmer
11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Wow that's crazy! Blast away if you want but this is SAD!

srt4eh
11-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Very sad....RIP

Yooformula
11-30-2013, 11:27 PM
holy shit thats crazy. he wasnt even the driver either, such a shame.

WhatsADSM
11-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Very sad to hear. :(

-stew-
12-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Fox lies! Fox lies! Fox lies!

spooln30
12-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Burning alive would suck. Porches are not safe at all, they tend to explode when you smash the front end. Reminds me of Ryan Dunn minus the drinking, well maybe.

LIL EVO
12-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Probably died on impact..

Prince Valiant
12-01-2013, 02:53 AM
see, manifold danger IS dangerous!

But in all honesty, there is nothing too unsual here. crash into a fairly strong solid object at 100+ mph and you'll most likely die. while cars are much much much much more safe than they used to be, they aren't so far along that they can protect us from every impact...especially those into which we slide sideways while out of control.

Honestly, it's sad...a modicum of sense should have prevented this. However, we get some who, while having recieved considerable more train than us, and while possessing considerably more skill than most on this board, still make errors in judgement that lead to mistake that at such speed will result in death. Simpy put, the driver SHOULD have had the knowledge that their skill might get them through 9 out of 10 times, that's not enough of a safety margin to try to complete the task. Had the driver been just slightly smarter, they wouldn't have tried the maneuver that resulted in the fatal crash.

Part of what makes this weird is that cars are so safe now that fatalities are very rare. While people drive more miles than ever the overall fatal crashes are rarer than they used to be; over the last 10 years cars have become much much much safer so that "normal" accidents are rarely fatal. Not that this accident was "normal"

nismodave
12-01-2013, 07:29 AM
What a shame. What a waste.....

USMARINE1108
12-01-2013, 08:35 AM
see, manifold danger IS dangerous!

But in all honesty, there is nothing too unsual here. crash into a fairly strong solid object at 100+ mph and you'll most likely die. while cars are much much much much more safe than they used to be, they aren't so far along that they can protect us from every impact...especially those into which we slide sideways while out of control.

Honestly, it's sad...a modicum of sense should have prevented this. However, we get some who, while having recieved considerable more train than us, and while possessing considerably more skill than most on this board, still make errors in judgement that lead to mistake that at such speed will result in death. Simpy put, the driver SHOULD have had the knowledge that their skill might get them through 9 out of 10 times, that's not enough of a safety margin to try to complete the task. Had the driver been just slightly smarter, they wouldn't have tried the maneuver that resulted in the fatal crash.

Part of what makes this weird is that cars are so safe now that fatalities are very rare. While people drive more miles than ever the overall fatal crashes are rarer than they used to be; over the last 10 years cars have become much much much safer so that "normal" accidents are rarely fatal. Not that this accident was "normal"
Much truth in this. I know for a fact that when a 94 Nissan going around 100 that hits a 2013 Corolla going 68 head on, the people in the Nissan will die. The Corolla will be pushed back 197 ft from the point of impact. The people in the Corolla will be alive, but not in good shape. Go Toyota! Yeah crumple zones! Lets hear it for airbags!

Lash
12-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Uhhhh.....Wut? ^

There are soooo many more factors to it than that.

USMARINE1108
12-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Uhhhh.....Wut? ^

There are soooo many more factors to it than that.

Uhhhh..... no kidding. However, the basic physics show that newer cars are safer. Two cars weigh the same (apx), one being 19 years older (no airbags, crumple zones etc) and traveling apx 30mph faster hits the newer car head on. The newer car took a MUCH harder impact and everyone lived. Think about the back seat and how the newer car took the brunt of the impact vs how the older car did. Pretend there were 2 children on booster seats in the back of both cars. In the older Nissan, the children would have had no chance. In the Corolla, they would have lived. Hence (in the scenario I layed out) my comment that there is much truth in what he says.

DRK
12-01-2013, 10:53 AM
R.I.P. P.Walker... The Carrera GT claims two more

jbiscuit
12-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Carrera GT's should come with a waiver. By purchasing this car your run a very high risk of ending up dead. Porsches in general are a celebrity's worst vehicle choice

nismodave
12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Carrera GT's should come with a waiver. By purchasing this car your run a very high risk of ending up dead. Porsches in general are a celebrity's worst vehicle choice

^^^THIS

From what Im reading Carrera GTs are very dangerous/tricky when driven hard.

JOHN 86GT
12-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Looks like it was broke in two from crash . http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest-news/paul-walker-dead-shocking-pictures-2871422

88Nightmare
12-01-2013, 06:37 PM
R.I.P. P.Walker... The Carrera GT claims two more

Who else has the Carerra GT claimed? I was thinking Ryan Dunn too, however I think he was driving a 911 GT3

jbiscuit
12-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Regardless Porsche is gonna get hit with the death penalty soon for killing so many in Hollywood. I bet the salemen at the dealerships quiver when they see Justin Bieber come in with his wad of cash wanting a GT3 lol.

spooln30
12-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I can't believe how easily these things rip apart when crashed. I've even seen Porche GT race cars break apart during a crash and that's with a full race cage. With that much damage speed had to be involved but the gov should investigate Porches for poor crash standards. This is what happens when auto manufacturers try to lighten their sport cars, the structural integrity is greatly sacrificed.

WhatsADSM
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Mid engine, rear engine... the driving dynamics are different.

Not the best analogy but it gets the point across:
Grab a hammer. A front engine car, say a corvette, is like taking the hammer putting the heavy head first and throwing it across the room. The heavy end wants to stay in the front, naturally stable.
Now take a rear engine car, say a 911. That's like putting the wooden handle first, heavy end in the back. Then with the handle facing forward try to throw the hammer across the room. The heavy end always wants to swing around to the front... naturally not an easy car to drive fast.

Why put the engine mid rear (like almost all exotics) or completely rear engine (Porsche 911)?... well you get 2wd driving dynamics with the ability to put down the power unbelievably well.

Now with all that said. I'm sure the Porsche is actually very safe relatively speaking. German cars are notoriously good on safety. The reality is looks like they hit the pole sliding sideways at an extremely high rate of speed. As Prince said cars are MUCH safer these days then in the recent past however that doesn't mean you can slide out of control into a pole at just any speed and expect to walk away from it.

Also highly doubt this will affect Porsche sales in the least.

GTSLOW
12-02-2013, 10:16 AM
^ well put.

USMARINE1108
12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Mid engine, rear engine... the driving dynamics are different.

Not the best analogy but it gets the point across:
Grab a hammer. A front engine car, say a corvette, is like taking the hammer putting the heavy head first and throwing it across the room. The heavy end wants to stay in the front, naturally stable.
Now take a rear engine car, say a 911. That's like putting the wooden handle first, heavy end in the back. Then with the handle facing forward try to throw the hammer across the room. The heavy end always wants to swing around to the front... naturally not an easy car to drive fast.

Why put the engine mid rear (like almost all exotics) or completely rear engine (Porsche 911)?... well you get 2wd driving dynamics with the ability to put down the power unbelievably well.

Now with all that said. I'm sure the Porsche is actually very safe relatively speaking. German cars are notoriously good on safety. The reality is looks like they hit the pole sliding sideways at an extremely high rate of speed. As Prince said cars are MUCH safer these days then in the recent past however that doesn't mean you can slide out of control into a pole at just any speed and expect to walk away from it.

Also highly doubt this will affect Porsche sales in the least.

Great explanation. Just to add a bit, most of the "exotic" cars (and the C6) are somewhere around 50/50 weigh distribution (when on the wheels). Get 1, 2, 3 or even 4 wheels off of the ground all bets are off. Physics takes over, just as you described. Great analogy. Watch some of these cars take corners at over 100mph and try that in your ford Taurus. Not going to happen, the weight is in the front and you'll lose the ass end. With "exotics", it's in the suspension. If the wheels aren't on the ground, the suspension can't do it's job. However, I don't think that is the case in this crash. I think we'll find, as more info comes out, that speed was the major factor in the crash.

Irish
12-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Dean, Dunn, Walker... Who else?

jbiscuit
12-02-2013, 09:17 PM
They were traveling at a very high rate of speed for sure. A 30mph crash wouldn't cause a slide or the car to shred it's parts like this. Parts are scattered 50ft away from the actual car

LIL EVO
12-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Not the best video, but it shows the crash.
http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/12/02/paul-walker-crash-security-video-impact-porsche-collision

Gregor
12-02-2013, 09:39 PM
They are speculating that it hit a water pipe before it hit the tree.

I really didn't like the F&F franchise,it just sends the wrong message.

And it sucks to see someone die like that. I can only hope they died on impact and not burned alive.

I also don't understand why people tend to make jokes about a accident of this grade. And can the holy-than-tho shit because we all at one time did something stupid in a car that could have ended like this.

WhatsADSM
12-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Great explanation. Just to add a bit, most of the "exotic" cars (and the C6) are somewhere around 50/50 weigh distribution (when on the wheels). Get 1, 2, 3 or even 4 wheels off of the ground all bets are off. Physics takes over, just as you described. Great analogy. Watch some of these cars take corners at over 100mph and try that in your ford Taurus. Not going to happen, the weight is in the front and you'll lose the ass end. With "exotics", it's in the suspension. If the wheels aren't on the ground, the suspension can't do it's job. However, I don't think that is the case in this crash. I think we'll find, as more info comes out, that speed was the major factor in the crash.

Funny enough 50/50 distribution being "ideal" isn't exactly correct or true it just plays into the dynamics of a car. For a front engine car yes 50/50 is what most manufacturer shoot for. However a mid or rear engine car are far from 50/50 and there really isn't anything wrong with it. With a rear weight bias traction under acceleration is better (assuming rwd) as well as under braking. However again the dynamics (certainly when cornering beyond the limits) are different and I would argue worse. Just as a reference:
Porsche 997 (911) C2s - Rear engine: 38/62
Lotus Elise (I drive one of these ;)) - Mid engine: 38/62
Ferrari 458 - Mid engine: 42/58
Lamborghini Aventador - Mid engine awd: 43/57

WhatsADSM
12-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Not the best video, but it shows the crash.
http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/12/02/paul-walker-crash-security-video-impact-porsche-collision

Wow that thing goes up QUICK!

spooln30
12-02-2013, 11:46 PM
According to investigators there was a burst of fluid believed to be PS fluid leaving a trail before the Porche hit the tree. This leads them to believe that there was a power steering failure leading to the loss of steering and the crash. There wasn't any swerving skid marks just straight lines. Also the Porche was said not to be modified and was most likely a manufacturer defect.

srt4eh
12-03-2013, 01:27 AM
I really didn't like the F&F franchise,it just sends the wrong message.

That's like saying you don't like the video game Grand Theft Auto because it sends the wrong message. It's a movie...it's fiction....it should be treated as such.

jbiscuit
12-03-2013, 08:03 AM
According to investigators there was a burst of fluid believed to be PS fluid leaving a trail before the Porche hit the tree. This leads them to believe that there was a power steering failure leading to the loss of steering and the crash. There wasn't any swerving skid marks just straight lines. Also the Porche was said not to be modified and was most likely a manufacturer defect.

Or could just be age. The car was a 2004 I believe...and if the power steering pump when out he would still have steering just now power assist

blackmage
12-03-2013, 08:22 AM
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo304/blackmage96/1488179_657262707658804_877979580_n_zps33270e04.jp g

Gregor
12-03-2013, 11:44 PM
That's like saying you don't like the video game Grand Theft Auto because it sends the wrong message. It's a movie...it's fiction....it should be treated as such.

Well yeah GTA sucks also. So you got me there..... I really don't play games much anymore I spend it with my kid, and working on the house.

spooln30
12-04-2013, 01:26 AM
It was a 2005 Carrera and supposedly it wasn't driven much. From what I've been reading these cars can be somewhat hard to drive to average drivers and one could lose control pretty easy if not putting 100% into driving it. There was two people killed back in 2006 on a track where they tried to avoid a Ferrari that was was coming onto the track. The Cabrera driver easily lost control hitting a wall @ 130mph killing both people inside. The family sued the track and Porche and won $4.5 million. Jay Leno also owns one and he too spun out of control almost crashing at Talladega. These things are death traps. There has always been something about cars built out of exotic materials that weirded me out. Cuz they shatter apart when hitting a harder surface.

-stew-
12-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Everything I've heard about these cars, leads to that unless you are an experienced and trained driver, these are very dangerous and hard to control cars. Isn't that the EXACT OPPOSITE of what a ultra high end sports car should be?

animal
12-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Maybe gregor meant the ricer message :goof

At least we can hope that now they will all take that crap off their cars in remembrance of their hero :rolf

DRK
12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Isn't that the EXACT OPPOSITE of what a ultra high end sports car should be?

The limit of traction is so high that once you break that threshold your fucked, thats why race/suprcars usually crash so hard

Old Guy
12-04-2013, 12:00 PM
The limit of traction is so high that once you break that threshold your fucked, thats why race/suprcars usually crash so hard
And their going very fast.

Old Guy
12-04-2013, 12:01 PM

Old Guy
12-04-2013, 12:07 PM

WhatsADSM
12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Everything I've heard about these cars, leads to that unless you are an experienced and trained driver, these are very dangerous and hard to control cars. Isn't that the EXACT OPPOSITE of what a ultra high end sports car should be?
No not exactly.
Easy to drive and the fastest way are typically mutually exclusive.

The carrera gt is a very high powered mid engine super car with extremely high limits. Of course its hard to drive... especially if you are driving it fast and at the limit.

Prince Valiant
12-04-2013, 02:10 PM
To put it another way, drive a dodge shadow at it's limits, it'll be pretty hard, but pretty slow. Follow that Shadow in a Porsche GT and you'll find it very easy to drive.

Drive a Porsche GT hard and at the limits, it'd be pretty much impossible to drive anything as fast as the GT through the same course.

Gregor
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Well driving a car to it limits is what you do in competition, drag racing, autocross, road racing, circle track, and the list goes on and on. You drive the car like it doesn't have any problems, when drag race do you don't say to yourself, "well the car isn't up to the racing I want to do mechanically so I am only going to give it 80%". No you fix the problem and beat the shit out of it or race till you believe that your at the top of your skill or the capability of the car.

Now toss in a leaky PS pump, popped coolant hose, broken axle or some other mech problem and your skill level for that car might have been good enough but now the car is uncontrollable. And your dead.

How many people hit the wall drag racing because a hose popped off. And then they were dependent on the skill set of the chassis guy who welded in their cage?

The driver was out playing in that car, loss traction (driver or mechanical problem) hit a pole and took out his passenger this case it was a actor. Who ironically was all about about street racing.