PDA

View Full Version : Gun Vault/Room

*SNOOP*
11-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Looking to build a gun vault/room in my basement!! Looking to see if anyone on this forum can lay some brick and install a steel door???????

spooln30
11-13-2013, 11:48 PM
I've always wanted to build one as well. My plan was for cinder blocks then a 1/4 steel plate and bricks on the outside. Multi purpose room for guns/ammo, food/water and safe room. I think bricks by themselves would be too easy to get through.

*SNOOP*
11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Any takers??

Old Guy
11-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Just be sure that its high enough so it does not FLOOD.

Moparjim
11-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Just throwing in my experience with this... When I bought my current house, my basement already had two small seperate blocked off rooms around 4 foot by 8 foot or something with a small door sized entrance in the block walls from the rest of the basement. I thought immediately what an awesome gun storage room that would be, I didn't go steel door but put in a solid core deadbolting door on one and kept everything in there.

Years later, I changed my tune. My basement is dry, no leakage or anything but yeah it is still crappy down there lol. That room constantly was full of dirt, spiders, some moisture, you name it getting all my gun cases kinda gross and requiring semi regular cleaning. At some point I ended up buying a large safe and just moving all the stuff into the safe up in the climate controlled, clean, dry, consistant temperature house. I got a super cool giant sized antique safe its a double door like 6 ft tall for $300 or something ridiculous that I built a wood rack and liner for, and they sell pistol hangers and other safe organization accessories for inside safes. The stuff is more accessable up in the house now as well.

If I did build a secure "room" again, I would build it up in the house - maybe convert a walk in closet or something like that...

Wagonbacker9
11-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Just throwing in my experience with this... When I bought my current house, my basement already had two small seperate blocked off rooms around 4 foot by 8 foot or something with a small door sized entrance in the block walls from the rest of the basement. I thought immediately what an awesome gun storage room that would be, I didn't go steel door but put in a solid core deadbolting door on one and kept everything in there.

Years later, I changed my tune. My basement is dry, no leakage or anything but yeah it is still crappy down there lol. That room constantly was full of dirt, spiders, some moisture, you name it getting all my gun cases kinda gross and requiring semi regular cleaning. At some point I ended up buying a large safe and just moving all the stuff into the safe up in the climate controlled, clean, dry, consistant temperature house. I got a super cool giant sized antique safe its a double door like 6 ft tall for $300 or something ridiculous that I built a wood rack and liner for, and they sell pistol hangers and other safe organization accessories for inside safes. The stuff is more accessable up in the house now as well.

If I did build a secure "room" again, I would build it up in the house - maybe convert a walk in closet or something like that...

Or at least build in an active ventilation system, probably with a dehumidifier as well.

Old Guy
11-14-2013, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't think or having a basement with out a dehumidifier going during the humid months of the year. I would think that air conditioning would keep the basement dry and cool in the summer.

*SNOOP*
11-14-2013, 04:36 PM
I am planning to completely finishing this room (carpet, drop ceiling and ventilation) so im not really worried about dirt and dust....

wrath
11-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Steel and lots of it. Steel door with a commercial steel frame.

I helped a neighbor get into his once. I popped a block and unlocked the door through the hole. Took about twenty minutes with a chisel. I then put the block back in (managed not to break it). Later he filled the blocks with concrete. He had a fairly nice setup using a dehumidifier and an electric heater. I think his was originally a wine cellar.

spooln30
11-15-2013, 02:42 AM
That's exactly why I didn't build the room in my basement. I've always wanted a secret room with those book case doors. Pull a book and open sesame. LOL. My current home just doesn't have enough sq footage to hide a room. Sucks.

CATNHAT
11-15-2013, 07:08 AM
JS construction in Franklin. He just did some pretty nice jobs for me in Oak Creek, Pewaukee, Brookfield and Waukesha. He can also supply and install the HMD.

Joe 414-828-1965