PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car with a child support lien?

Moparjim
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Anyone ever done or know how to do this?

Buyer, who I am sure is completely trustworthy ;) claims that he has done it before and wants to provide a bill of sale, a copy of the proof of ownership (nowadays lienholder holds the title in WI), and a statement that he will use the sale proceeds to clear the lien and provide the title.

If it was a bank lien I would just meet the guy at his bank or whatever, but I have never dealt with a child support lien.

Anyone?

SSDude
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
If he can show you current statements that indicate the amout owed will be satisfied you might be comfortable doing the deal. Obviously a proper written bill of sale would cover your interest but if the deal goes south could could be waiting a long time to get your money back if ever.

Moparjim
11-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah I was figuring the same thing - I think legally a bill of sale etc would be enough to cover legal proof of sale/ownership.... but that doesnt do me much good if any if he doesnt clear the title lien in a timely matter and I cant register the thing and I have to legally go after him to get it, or even worse if he blows the money and doesnt clear the lien at all.

michelle
11-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Sounds too risky to me and not worth the trouble. What kind of vehicle?

-stew-
11-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Maybe you pay off the child support agency(?) directly and they give you the title?

BoosTT
11-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Unless this is some rare car, I would just find something different.

Moparjim
11-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Its a 91 gvr4 super clean with a ton of money in it for a great price. What I currently have worked out is yeah he apparently owes it in racine so we are going there together tomorrow afternoon to pay it in person. He seems to think they hold the title in madison but I should be able to get some sort of paperwork and be sure its released at least.

Teufelhunden
12-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Did you get it? We need to catch up.

Moparjim
12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
No I did not end up getting it the guy was the biggest flake ever I have experienced and I have owned 100 cars lol.

LIL EVO
12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Color? Whats his name?

Moparjim
12-01-2013, 09:43 PM
White, it was the one on MKE auto market and Appleton Craigslist recently... Sellers name was "RJ". Ken - E85Monster guy from Wisdsm boards ended up buying it. The story is pretty long, but the gist of it is I had the cash ready to go but since the lien was on it we were suppose to meet and go to the child support place together and the seller arranged to meet with me several times, I took off work several times and he kept not showing up. Meanwhile, he had a lot of stories and excuses and at some point I noticed Ken posted he had purchased the car somewhere in between several of the times the seller and I were supposed to meet. I had Ken's phone number from when he was selling his 2G recently, so I called him worried the guy was stroking him around too maybe but nope he bought it, had the car and title in his possession... Meanwhile for several days AFTER he sold it to Ken, the seller kept telling me stories that he had gotten a title, etc. and that I could still come out and buy it and still setting up meeting dates. It was real wierd.

Then as an after to the story, Ken told me he bought the car for significantly LESS than the cash I had ready to pay the seller lol so I offered to buy it from Ken for a pretty decent profit for him. He passed on the offer which is fine, but now coincidentally he has in between now and then posted on wisdsm several times needing a few "car doesn't run right" kind of parts, and now today he has the car posted up "for trade"...

Moparjim
12-01-2013, 09:44 PM
P.S. it still seems like a great car for the price range, I probably will still buy it if the situation wasnt so sketchy...

GTSLOW
12-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Ugh person like that has probably done a ton of Jerry rig fixes on it.

JohnnyT
12-02-2013, 12:42 PM
What number GVR4?

Moparjim
12-02-2013, 03:46 PM
#1782/2000

JohnnyT
12-02-2013, 05:54 PM
#1782/2000

Whew, I was gonna be sick if it was 1706... :)