PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack/gearbox repair replace

CATNHAT
11-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Any recomendations? Wifes 2008 acadia needs work. Clunks pretty bad when cycling right/left. Acadias are known for having bad gear boxes but could be a bushing? Anyone or location in pewaukee or waukesha area.

TIA

Russ Jerome
11-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Im not up on Acadias but steering racks are not very service friendly, I would go reman if it is in fact the rack being issue.
I replaced the one on my WRX, wasn't half as expensive as I thought it would be even thru Napa. Plus given she is driving
it who wants to hope it doesn't bind at the wrong time.

spooln30
11-11-2013, 12:31 AM
There's. TSB for the rack bushings. Here's the TSB.

10-02-32-001: Clunk or Knock Noise When Turning (Replace Steering Gear Bushing) - (Apr 14, 2010)

Subject: Clunk or Knock Noise When Turning (Replace Steering Gear Bushing)

Models: 2008-2010 Buick Enclave 2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse 2007-2010 GMC Acadia 2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Condition Some customers may comment on a clunk or knock noise when turning.

Cause This condition may be caused by movement in a bushing on the rack and pinion.

Correction Replace the steering gear bushings with the updated part, which has a revised mount material. Refer to Steering Gear Replacement in SI. Then, using a hydraulic press, remove the bushing from the steering gear and install the new bushings.

spooln30
11-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Well I just got done searching on Mitchell for other TSB's or recalls and after looking through 104 TSB's and 5 recalls. There is two possible TSBs that could be ur issue, the bushing one and another that stated the clunking coming from a loose rivet down by the support bearing for the steering columns steering shaft. It located near the firewall.
I honestly believe your problem is the rack bushings. Since you have to remove the rack to press in the new bushings and depending on how many miles your crossover has plus the condition your better off replacing the rack assembly. These racks aren't too bad to R&I, book time is only 3.5 hours.
You should see all of the TSBs for your Crossover. There's a lot of them pertaining to structure and engine issues. Timing chains seem to be a problem. Late 2005- the bail out was a bad time for the "Big 3", their quality was greatly sacrificed to cut costs in order to stay afloat.

CATNHAT
11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Well I just got done searching on Mitchell for other TSB's or recalls and after looking through 104 TSB's and 5 recalls. There is two possible TSBs that could be ur issue, the bushing one and another that stated the clunking coming from a loose rivet down by the support bearing for the steering columns steering shaft. It located near the firewall.
I honestly believe your problem is the rack bushings. Since you have to remove the rack to press in the new bushings and depending on how many miles your crossover has plus the condition your better off replacing the rack assembly. These racks aren't too bad to R&I, book time is only 3.5 hours.
You should see all of the TSBs for your Crossover. There's a lot of them pertaining to structure and engine issues. Timing chains seem to be a problem. Late 2005- the bail out was a bad time for the "Big 3", their quality was greatly sacrificed to cut costs in order to stay afloat.

Thanks and yes it is the bushings. We had it on a rack (Thanks Derek for the referal to Dave), and the bushings are shot and so are the stabilizers. Dave was also talking about the timing chains being a problem and a huge pain in the ass to replace.

I have been researching some of the TSB's and could not believe how many I found--holy shit!!

I recently had a burnt out taillight--one would think a $2.00 3157 or 4157 may be the fix--NOPE a $225 complete assembly!! FUK! Luckily I found a used one on ebay for a measely $85--for a burnt out light!!

Looks like a fix and send on down the road...

Russ Jerome
11-11-2013, 06:58 PM
I recently had a burnt out taillight--one would think a $2.00 3157 or 4157 may be the fix--NOPE a $225 complete assembly!! FUK! Luckily I found a used one on ebay for a measely $85--for a burnt out light!!

Wow American quality!! Im with you ditch that thing, cant build a bushing or lighting system component after this long they must not be trying.
America: going down the toilet faster every year :(

spooln30
11-11-2013, 07:44 PM
It is reasons like these why I would never own a American vehicle. They claim to make cars as reliable as their Japanese counterpart buy their far from it. I'm hearing problems with the new Impalas already and we all know Ford never got the whole reliable thing down. Chrysler I won't even get into, my post would be far too long.

95mustang302
11-11-2013, 08:23 PM
NP Buddy, glad he could help!

88Nightmare
11-11-2013, 09:12 PM
It is reasons like these why I would never own a American vehicle. They claim to make cars as reliable as their Japanese counterpart buy their far from it. I'm hearing problems with the new Impalas already and we all know Ford never got the whole reliable thing down. Chrysler I won't even get into, my post would be far too long.

My roommate is a tech at a Honda dealer. You wouldn't believe the problems they have. They have cars with 20k miles with massive oil consumption. The repair? Re ring pistons... Book time of 18 hours I believe he said.... Amongst many other problems too.

No car is immune to problems, Foreign or domestic.

spooln30
11-11-2013, 10:59 PM
I agree they all will have some sort of a quirk but Japanese vehicles have far less. I have been working on cars for a very long time and I see what manufacturers have what problems and American ones have tons. European cars are decent but just the cost to fix minor things is crazy and why I wouldn't want to own one.
Although Honda's are good cars I am a Toyota man but partial to Subarus as I own a Legacy and love it. Even though my gen has headgaskets issues. Luckily mines a 99 and they used different phase blocks and heads so they're fewer 99's that HG will fail. That's a "quirk" for Subarus, this and wheel bearings on the second gens but there's nothing else.

CATNHAT
11-11-2013, 11:16 PM
NP Buddy, glad he could help!

:thumbsup

88Nightmare
11-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I agree they all will have some sort of a quirk but Japanese vehicles have far less. I have been working on cars for a very long time and I see what manufacturers have what problems and American ones have tons. European cars are decent but just the cost to fix minor things is crazy and why I wouldn't want to own one.
Although Honda's are good cars I am a Toyota man but partial to Subarus as I own a Legacy and love it. Even though my gen has headgaskets issues. Luckily mines a 99 and they used different phase blocks and heads so they're fewer 99's that HG will fail. That's a "quirk" for Subarus, this and wheel bearings on the second gens but there's nothing else.

I've enjoyed every GM I've owned so far, from an 85 Suburban, Trailblazer, GMC Canyon with the 5.3 V8, to Silverados of varying years, 94, 95, 02, 05, 06. Currently have an 05 duramax now, love it.

Maybe it's because I'm more comfortable working on GM's. Maybe I'm not phased by their quirks so I view other manufacturers as having more problems, but I'm content to continue to own GM's.

CATNHAT
11-12-2013, 05:11 PM
I dont know--I have had my share of problems with gmcs. some mentioned above which so far arent too terrible but add those to the Yukon I owned awhile back listed below and I am rapidly losing faith.

1. Trailer hitch cover keeps falling off. Fixed with Velcro.
2. Both drivers side door handles broken off?? Never had that happen on any car ever?? (4x)
3. Strange dampness/mold odor enters cabin every time it rains-snows-carwash-high humidity outside??
4. Center cap fell off of right rear wheel when first purchased
5. Brakes are squeaking.
6. Recall for heated windshield washer fluid reservoir.
7. Windshield wipers would not turn off?? Had to replace heated washer module, BCM and fuse block failed, replaced heated washer module--out of warranty $1000!!!
8. Power running boards not working? Re-calibrated by dealership.
9. Remote start only works from about 15 feet??
10. Power lift gate close button on lift gate requires 3-4 attempts to get it to close--just do it manually now.
11. Passenger side front door retainer cap keeps falling off. Now store in glove box so I won’t lose it.
12. Replaced all 4 chrome 20” wheels due to rust penetrating the chrome.
13. Chrome GM logo on sides are discolored and black??
14. Rear Main seal leaking oil.
15. Tailgate exterior switch not operational?
16. Rear defrost connectors broke off 3X. Soldered back on.
17. Front left Bose tweeter not working. Replaced by me.
18. Evap canister for gas tank non-operational. Replaced by me.
19. Dashboard HVAC Fan non operational, no air movement at all.
20. Power steering fluid leak over front valance.
21. Dead battery. Replaced by me $120.
22. Main wiring harness wrapped around driveshaft, $2500 repair in shop 10 days.
23. SOLD

88Nightmare
11-12-2013, 05:44 PM
That's quite the list, yet I've seen people with a lengthy list for a ford, a dodge, <insertanythinghere>. It's unfortunate it went downhill like that for ya. Until I have a gm that let's me down like that, I'll keep buying them.

Bought my truck with 89k miles. So far at 108k, aside from modifications, the only repairs I have done are: right rear caliper. Idler pulley.

I've done maintenance items like pads and rotors and a serpentine belt, and of course, fluid changes. Other than that, it's trucking along great.

brotherbenn83
11-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I work at a Chevy dealer, and we see plenty of the Acadia/Traverse/Outlooks with steering issues. The steering gear is quite common for clunks, squeaks and shudders when turning. The steering pump will also intermittently cause a loss of assist when turning. The steering shafts themselves have not really been problematic. We also have issues with the 3-5-r wave plate breaking inside the transmission, most commonly causing a loss of reverse. The timing chain issue is related primarily to the stupid oil life monitor, if people follow that guideline for when to change the oil, they will often go 7,000+ miles between oil changes. The chains stretch, causing everything from cam-crank correlation codes, to severe misfires if the chains jump. They really aren't that hard to replace, just a bit time consuming...book time is about 10.0 hours(I just did a set yesterday). If you need work done on any aspect of your wife's car, feel free to come see me at Boucher Chevy in Waukesha.

CATNHAT
11-12-2013, 10:29 PM
If you need work done on any aspect of your wife's car, feel free to come see me at Boucher Chevy in Waukesha.
Thanks I appreciate the info and the offer!