PDA

View Full Version : Replacing transfer case bushing

Cutlass Queen
10-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know where I can rent a Kent Moore J-45380 bushing replacer tool for a night? I purchased a 2002 Yukon XL Denali and found out this past weekend that the transfer case bushing needs to be replaced. Book calls for using this tool to remove it otherwise the whole transfer case will need to be taken apart. Suggestions?

Russ Jerome
10-28-2013, 10:52 PM
The special tool is to pull the bushing out without separating T-case halves, the special install tool is a hollow seal driver.
If you have an energetic volunteer its easily done with T-case on bench with output shaft removed. Its the rear output
Im assuming, drive shaft play up/down?

Cutlass Queen
10-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Yep drive shaft play is up/down, and it's causing a loud howling noise at 70mph+. I am trying to prevent having to pull the T-case out just to remove the bushing, although I discovered the yoke is beyond shot. Have to love how previous owners maintain vehicles :chair: I located the tool from a buddy so this should hopefully work out!

88Nightmare
10-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I feel your pain. The transfer case on my 2005 HD has to be pulled and taken apart to fix a pump rub issue... Over time, the pumps rub side to side and rub right through the case. It's a $50 repair, but involves pulling and splitting the case.

WickedSix
10-30-2013, 08:14 AM
It really isn't that bad pulling the t-case out on the d-max. They are suprisingly light.

BAD LS1
10-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Let's not kid out selves here

That job of pulling the case in a half ton gmt800 like that sucks ass no matter how you cut it! I never did one on a 2500 but I'm sure it's similar in nature. On your back, with a lift or using and transmission jack to at least get it close, getting the tail shaft up and over the torsion bar cross member then holding it with your face as you try and clock it and not break the plastic actuator motor on the bottom... If you got two people sure, but it's pretty hard to dead lift 75 lbs and then move it in odd angles and then get the splines to engage and 6 studs all at once.

Maybe if I had another person there to help it would be easier, but the obs trucks it sucks and it's just as bad as the 800's like this truck.

Moral of my story, find a way to do in truck or enlist lots of friends.

-stew-
10-31-2013, 07:18 AM
A 75 pound transfer case!?!?!

Russ Jerome
10-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Stew is right, Ive done iron case NP205 by myself..no jack..on my back...in snow to get to work next day to feed my then young kids.

Modern chain drive aluminum cases are not that bad, its more of a pain fishing out wires and/or vac lines and seized linkage than
the actual act of pulling the t-case. If you have a compressor the face bolt can be done with air gone.

Driveline vibration like bad u-joints are the main cause of output bushing to fail in my experience. The rear output bushing survives
on slosh oil unlike a trans output that is commonly fed by trans cooler return lines. Imbalance even in rear end will pound the bushing
out in short order.

-stew-
11-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Stew is right, Ive done iron case NP205 by myself..no jack..on my back...in snow to get to work next day to feed my then young kids.

Lol! Your braver, stronger, smart, dumber, or more determined than me! I don't know that I got it in me to press a 205 up in the hole! Every time I'm under my truck I look at that big cast iron emmereffer and am glad I'm not under there to fuck with it.

Russ Jerome
11-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Its was 20 plus years ago, wife popping out kids like crazy and trying to pay rent. 38" tires and a built small block played hell with the t-case to SM465 adapter, broke them like Obama beaks promises. No garage living in an apartment, hand tools literaly laying in snow in January (MPLS is actualy colder than here usualy).