PDA

View Full Version : Too bad I can't afford it....

Prince Valiant
10-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Mopar will be adding "hellcat" engines to it's SRT lines (Challenger, Charger, Grand Cherokee, 300)

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/10/supercharged-challenger-engine-shots-and-more

Supercharged 6.2 hemi v8. Low side estimates from as low as 550hp to as high as 640hp (though the article linked has sources touting a reliable 700hp as the goal).

My guess is that a 6 speed manual will be available in the challenger with 8 speed automatics available in the rest (2015 MY all the rwd cars will have 8 speeds regardless of v6 or v8).

Premium for entry will be roughly similar to the shelby mustang or camaro ZL-1. But what I like is that the engine will be available across the SRT v8 spectrum.

Moparjim
10-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree - pretty cool, but too rich for my blood. Also the cars remain very heavy so overall I am betting performance will still be lagging behind the "other" brands. Performance per $$$ will also be pretty low IMO.

Prince Valiant
10-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Also the cars remain very heavy so overall I am betting performance will still be lagging behind the "other" brands. I'm not so sure...the current 392's are running pretty strong at the tracks, particularly with automatics. Much like the not-terribly-rare stock LS1's that were hitting high 12's, there are stock 392's running 12.2's in the quarter...the fastest "stock" (if you want to call it that...it's got tune/tires) I've seen is 11.9's...and this is with the antiquated 5 speed auto. Can't remember what Kilpatrick's gotten for a fastest from his 6 speed 392 car, but it's not as fast as the autos...but not terribly far off.

But we'll have to wait to see what becomes of the barracuda...supposedly a true mid-size rwd on a platform that will be shared by alfa (and possibly dodge in the form of a sedan) similar in size and weight to the mustang.

Moparjim
10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah I have been waiting for the Barracuda, some sort of SRT Dart preferably AWD, or even an SRT Cherokee (small new Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee) all of which seem like they have been talking about for years but not finishing...

Prince Valiant
10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
The SRT dart is being put on hold for now AFAIK. Lots of chatter during development just dried up...even gillies hints that it's on hold, as he wants a powerplant worthy of the SRT moniker.

But I had read earlier that a likely SRT cherokee would share powerplants with it's platform mate, the Dart, implying for a while that it might be a turbo 2.4, which also suggest that if that were the case, it'd have to make a bit more power than it's 3.2 271hp v6, and which 300hp wouldn't be enough of a jump. Perhaps, since the the two ARE platform mates, might we see a turbo 6 in both instead? Packaging would be roughly similar, AWD systems/transmission the same (though I would assume a manual would have to be available for the dart, but I'd think a 9 speed auto would be as well). There have been plans to have both a single and twin turbo 3.0 versions, and in fact Maserati Ghibli's single and twin turbo v6's are derivative of the chrysler pentastar engines (ferrari developed the ghibli's 6 from the pentastar, using unique heads). Pure speculation on my part, but it does fit with Gillies statement that he wants a unique and special powertrain combination for a Dart wearing an SRT badge.

WhatsADSM
10-24-2013, 07:49 PM
This thing will be a badass engine for sure.

However as started before the problem with Dodge is the cars just weigh sooooo much. 700hp is a LOT but when its motivating a 4300 lb car and the competiton is 3400-3500 its hard to compete... even in a straight line.

The upside for enthusiasts like us is that its dodge so most likely it will tank in value over its life so it may actually be within reach after a few years.

VroomPshhTsi
10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
x3
It's Mopar so they will all be overweight and fighting an uphill battle when they do the comparison tests.

Prince Valiant
10-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Eh, I don't know...the dodge charger, 300, are full-size, rwd cars...and their weights are not too outside the norm for fullsize rwd cars. I get the "it's heavy" complaint, because hey...4261lbs IS heavy (weight of pursuit version of charger). Much heavier than a mustang or camaro, but as such, they're actually much bigger than either. Sure, compare the car to similar vehicles like the caprice9c3 and the charger is only ~30lbs heavier while having a cast-iron block to the all AL LS based engine of the Caprice...and sure, the Charger is ~ 150lbs LIGHTER than the ford taurus pursuit while being v8 to v6 and cast-iron to AL block...though the ford is AWD to the RWD charger. To say that it's a mopar problem seems a bit off...ALL cars are heavy these days.

The challenger's shortcoming is that it is esentially a fullsized car...built off the same, albeit shortened platform, it carries the problems with shortening a car...it doesn't take away too much weight. But while 10 inches longer, 4inches wider, 3 inches taller, much more shoulder/leg/head room regardless where you sit and having essentially 25%-50% more trunk space than either competitor (essentially showing, it's still a fullsize by comparison) it makes the 4160lbs of the SRT8 look at least understandable in comparison to the 3470lbs mustang or 3750lbs camaro SS...and yet again, one of the larger hinderances isn't so much that "heavy" is built into it, but that it uses a cast-iron engine.

Regardless, in the next few years (maybe as early as 2015, but likely 2016 or 17) a new chasis will debut that feature many of the same dimensions, but ~200lbs lighter to comperable older LY chassis. Engineered into this chassis will be the ability to easily scale up and down sizes without the weight penalty that affects the challenger now. The chassis is already in production now and underpins the Maserati Ghibli....

But of course, a nice little weight savings will come if Mopar ever decides to start casting the Hemi block in AL. They do it small scale currently and it's engineered to work as an AL block...just need to bite the bullet and pay the cost of doing so.

Edit: Murray, oh, and as far as the value tanking...try finding a cheap SRT8 challenger. Just try. Good thing I've got a lucrative little side business dog sitting :D

WhatsADSM
10-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I will admit the challengers hold their value pretty well (especially the SRT8s).

Still though that weight!
The next Camaro will be built from the GM Alpha platform (see Cadillac ATS) and will likely have a base v8 version sitting around the 3600 lb area. Ford is targeting 3200(ish) for the S550 mustang. I'm sure that's the stripped down 4 pot version, but still a well setup v8 should still come in under 3500#. Shaving ~200 pounds off the 4200# LY just won't cut it. They gotta get something more "mid sized" so that they can truly compete performance-wise.

I will say I think the Challenger has other great attributes the others do not like extra space (which isn't a big deal for most shopping in this segment), but IMHO a better appointed and quality interior, and STYLE! They sound wonderful when driven in anger as well!