PDA

View Full Version : Drive for Babies 2013

bikedad
10-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Here's a video of one of my sessions at Elkhart Lake Road America. My car ran great. I wish I would have upped my level to group 2 though. Got stuck behind some slower vehicles and you're only allowed to pass at 2 points on the track.
I'll know what to do next year.

http://youtu.be/NANK_oldkkU

Old Guy
10-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Looks like a great drive.

bikedad
10-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Looks like a great drive.
It was an absolute blast!

WhatsADSM
10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Drive for babies is always packed no matter the run group. You will always be on someone.

Still fun though... just not one of those track days you go to looking for lots of open track. On the flip side there are always a bunch of cool cars there so it can also be fun to just hang out and see all the cool stuff.

bikedad
10-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Video of another run. I had a little bit of open road towards the end to push it hard. (yes my front tires rub the fenders a little) :shades
I started with another member from norotors. He has a swapped FD with LS2 T56 rear mount turbo. (not sure on size of turbo) beautiful car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFtvIIyUhk

DNT H8
10-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Looks like a blast... I would like to run that track next year.

lordairgtar
10-25-2013, 06:05 PM
What's required to do the run? I'd like to try it nextyear if my vehicle is allowed.

bikedad
10-25-2013, 08:24 PM
What's required to do the run? I'd like to try it nextyear if my vehicle is allowed.
Honestly I'm not real sure. My wife purchased this for me for my birthday.
It's a March of Dimes fund raiser through the SCCA.
I think all you have to do is sign up for it. Just search on March of Dimes Drive for Babies. (There's a Facebook page also) You would want to sign up early because they limit the amount of drivers.
You can pretty much run what you brung as long as it passes tech. There were all kinds of cars out there.
It's a great time. I'm definitely doing it again next year. :)

nebio99
10-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Check out http://www.driveforbabies.com for several videos from previous years and more information
General time frame is about the 3rd Friday of October, the event sold out about mid-August this year so look for registration to open around May.
About 3 weeks pre-event you will be asked to submit a list of your track experience from your DE/Autocross/Track logbook which will then be used to assign groups

From the FAQ: Do I need a sports car to drive?
No. Any street legal car is eligible. The event is open to vehicles eligible for street licensure. Otherwise, if a vehicle is not eligible for street licensure, then it must be eligible for one of the following GCR categories: Showroom Stock, Touring, Improved Touring, Spec Miata; or it must be eligible for one of the following SOLO categories: Stock, Street Prepared, Street Touring, or Street Modified. No vehicles that are prepared beyond these allowances will be permitted to participate. Open wheel cars are not allowed. SUV’s are not allowed

What determines Run Group? Experience
I have 20 track days now including D4B, 10 at Road America and have soloed in previous events there. I ran in group 2.

I am working on the nut behind the wheel first, then will upgrade the ride from the current 158hp.

Northwoods Shelby Club, Badger Bimmers, Milwaukee PCA, Audi Badger all run great events with great instruction. Look for events on Motorsportsreg.com or Clubregistration.net to gain experience.