PDA

View Full Version : eBay Switcheroo Rant

BoosTT
10-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I cannot stand when someone buys an replacement part and sends back their original part saying the replacement was defective! :flipoff2: I needed to replace a voltage regulator on a Seadoo PWC. This is about a $45 part (used or after market- OEM is $150+).

First, I bought a tested used OEM one from ebay- negative side diodes blown. Seller insisted it worked. I emailed pictures of it connected to the DMM. Got the run around and finally got refunded.

Second, I bought a NIB one on ebay –negative side diodes blown again. Requested seller send a replacement.

Third, the replacement came (this one was actually new with an sealed wrapper) WORKED. :banana

Had this been peak PWC season I would have been even more pissed. Or this could have lead someone to think the stator was bad or an different problem.

End of rant.

brotherbenn83
10-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Or you could stop being a cheap ass and buy the new $150 dealer part first instead of buying 3 $50 used parts.

BoosTT
10-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey now... two of those parts were claimed to be new. Appears only one was though.

Lash
10-18-2013, 05:43 PM
NIB for 1/3 of retail price......seems legit.

:)

Nickerz
10-20-2013, 02:43 AM
I do this stuff for a living, and often what happens is a factory buys a part to replicate that doesn't work properly and they understand so little about these parts they incorrectly replicate the part. This part gets sold by the thousands. But the "switcheroo" thing isn't uncommon either. We often get people that I send parts to who send a distributor back without a cap like we're not going to notice, or send back a completely different brand of part.

Return fraud is extremely rampant. I'm trying to figure out a legal framework for how to prevent it, but since eBay made itself returnland by allowing buyers to basically return anything for any reason it's been pretty insane. Kids with honda motor swaps are the worst. At first I thought it was my bias, but I have the numbers to back it up.