PDA

View Full Version : Brother got flight4lifed last night from a motorcycle accident =|

Nickerz
10-14-2013, 02:43 PM
So my brother got in a motorcycle accident and got flight for lifed yesterday in Madison. We were there and although the whole thing is not over he's no longer in serious danger to his life or major bodily function. He however has a long recovery ahead of him and may not fully recover use of his left hand.

Yesterday they operated on his hand and it went very good. They more or less were able to "pop" everything back into place and put some pins in. They were most concerned about the hand and wrist. He was wearing gear and a helmet, so that helped a bunch. There is a chance that he may make a full recovery, but they didn't give us any promises, besides that it went very well and that they were surprised at how well it went. I think doctors are usually on the pessimistic side with this stuff. I'm assuming his gloves mostly kept his hand from turning into a pile of shattered bones and mush. More or less looks like he clear broke the wrist and smashed his fingers out of their sockets. Both his wrist and leg fractures went through the skin.

His femur and leg are getting operated on today, but they seemed much less concerned about this. But they've been pretty clear to us that this is going to be a long term thing that's going to require rehab. He's going to be out of work for possibly 3 months.

While in a drugged up state he begged for a ride in the Cobra being a SVT\Ford fanboy and it was pretty heartbreaking that I couldn't deliver being the car is torn apart and won't be put together in the near future. He never has actually ridden in a real fast car. If there are any big power ford guys in the area that don't mind taking their vehicles out in fall weather that wouldn't mind putting a huge smile on his face, it'd be really appreciated. He's really really lucky to come out of this with just compound fractures. But this is probably going to financially ruin him and I'm hoping I can keep his spirits up throughout this. He is supposed to get out of the hospital next week and start therapy.

No prayers necessary, he's out of the scary part of this ordeal. He's got a huge heart and it's tough to see him on a hospital bed. I know the best I can do at this point is ask for any support from this community. Doctors are already doing an amazing job. The hardest part right now is putting a smile on his face :crying

Any other advice to deal with a situation like this would be great... :(

LIL EVO
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Damn that sucks. What happened? His fault? Someone else?

Sounds like he got lucky!

Nickerz
10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Damn that sucks. What happened? His fault? Someone else?

Sounds like he got lucky!

Pretty murky at this point. Waiting for the dust to settle to really get it figured out. He's been on a cocktail of pain drugs so most of what has been relayed so far is fairly incoherent. I don't really trust anyone's story at this point you know?

Pretty salty the cops were taking statements from him while he's getting thrown into a helicopter.

That being said EXTREMELY lucky. A helmet away from certain death.

LIL EVO
10-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Well if he wasn't handcuffed to the hospital bed then I guess it's not that bad!

Nix
10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Crummy to hear. Here's to a speedy and full recovery.

For the record I'm 99% sure the police were just trying to do their job and get what information from him they could in case it turned out to be worst case scenario for him. They just wanted to get his side of the story while they could is all. (I know you understand that. Plus it's always harder to deal with when it is a friend or family member in a dire situation)

It's refreshing to hear that he was smart and actually wearing a helmet and dressed in the proper riding gear. Maybe let this be a lesson to some who don't because they think something like this will not and could not ever happen to them.

Sent from my Junk LG Optimus Prime

Nickerz
10-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Totally. It's crazy to think hanging that helmet instead of wearing it wed be having a drastically different post :(

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

BoosTT
10-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Glad he is doing all right. Hate hearing about things like this. Hopefully everything works out and he has a speedy recovery.

srt4eh
10-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Wow - glad he's ok. That's one of the main fears I have that keep me off a motorcycle.

spooln30
10-15-2013, 02:49 AM
Glad to hear your brother is ok and hope he makes a full recovery.

Nickerz
10-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the support. Got a lead on a blown s197 hoping to cheer him up. Surgery number 3 coming up.

awsomeears
10-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I worked in a hospital for a few years, one thing that always brings a smile to someone that is laying in a hospital bed is a Milk Shake or ice cream. Something so simple would cheer up my patients when I was there.

I hope his recovery goes well

Nickerz
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM
I worked in a hospital for a few years, one thing that always brings a smile to someone that is laying in a hospital bed is a Milk Shake or ice cream. Something so simple would cheer up my patients when I was there.

I hope his recovery goes well

Exactly the advice I was looking for, thanks!

Haulin' Oates
10-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Sorry to hear your brother was injured, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Reverend Cooper
10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
so sorry

Nickerz
10-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Stood on his leg somehow yesterday I heard. Doctors were pretty surprised. But since his leg and hand injuries are on different sides, he'll have a grandma walker. Bought some flame decals for it!