PDA

View Full Version : Tried to buy a car...

Wagonbacker9
10-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Went to van horn, and offered them $6500 (their asking price) for this (https://www.vanhornmilwaukee.com/VehicleDetails/5131/M582A/Milwaukee_WI_2007_Dodge_Caliber_4d_Wagon_SXT_2.0L) .
Because they have a $1000 loyalty discount for returning customers, they have a disclaimer stating that the internet price includes this discount. That disclaimer is missing from this car on their website, but they wouldn't sell it to me for anything less than $6995. When I told them that I wouldn't negotiate up from their advertised price, they killed the deal.

Is this even legal? Pretty sure they refused to sell it to me because I'm a white man! damn racists.

Wagonbacker9
10-12-2013, 04:51 PM
HAHA... but they DID put the disclaimer on Craigslist. Dumbasses.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ctd/4091688714.html

Prince Valiant
10-12-2013, 06:48 PM
wtf would they try to sell it to you for more than they're advertising?!? wow...

brotherbenn83
10-12-2013, 07:57 PM
This is not uncommon, or illegal. At my dealer they advertise the lowest price possible which usually includes a rebate for being a college student, being a member of a farm bureau, and having a competitor's lease within your household. Criteria that almost no one ever meets all of.

brotherbenn83
10-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Someone should tell Dane Orange Peel the difference between then and than.

Wagonbacker9
10-12-2013, 08:43 PM
This is not uncommon, or illegal. At my dealer they advertise the lowest price possible which usually includes a rebate for being a college student, being a member of a farm bureau, and having a competitor's lease within your household. Criteria that almost no one ever meets all of.

They can advertise whatever price they want, but at a certain point their advertisement constitutes an offer, an offer which I accepted, and they then tried to change. I believe that would constitute bait and switch. Had they properly disclosed, sure. They didn't. What are the legalities of it? Hell if I know or care. It'd cost me more to sue them than to just pay their price, but I refuse to do business with assholes.

WickedSix
10-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Disclaimer: This is a guide only. See salesperson for additional information. All vehicles subject to prior sale. The dealership, nor Dealer Marketing Services Inc. assume any responsibility for the accuracy of the values, sale price, interest rates, terms, monthly payment, equipment, mileage, or for any errors or omissions of the dealership, or Dealer Marketing Services Inc. Please verify all information for accuracy prior to purchase.

^^ that is at bottom of their website.....basically a catch all CYA to keep them out of litigation

Wagonbacker9
10-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Nice.

Regardless I've moved on, and in all likelyhood this will work to my benefit as I've now talked my wife into a vibe. Thank you toyota reliability.

Prince Valiant
10-14-2013, 10:52 AM
We have a Vibe and had a Compass (same thing as the caliber...but 2.4/5 speed/AWD). Probably would have kept the compass b/w the two if my wife was more comfortable driving stick. Both were decent cars that were great considering the cost. Both have been excellent in the reliability dept, only needing to replace front control arms on the jeep, and some electrical switches/resistors on the vibe.

We ended up trading in the Compass in part because the vehicle we wanted was big and 4wd (a chrysler aspen) and the vibe was more fuel efficient and an auto. Got rid of the aspen for a caravan....

pOrk
10-15-2013, 08:17 AM
They pulled a similar stunt at Wilde Honda w me, jeep advertised for 11,500, I to there test drove it and said I'll pay the advertised price ( no disclaimer on the ad I found on clist ). All of a sudden the price was 15,500, they came down to 13,500. Horse shit