PDA

View Full Version : Late Model Throttle Fall Dyno Days

LBandt
09-25-2013, 11:04 AM
It's time again :banana and like the years before we are making this one bigger. Larger prizes, live music Saturday, working on Friday too! Shooting for good weather this year. Food all three days provided by Sloppy Joe's. $200 LMT gift certificates to high horsepower winners in all categories. Dunk tank and lots more fun to be had!! See you all there!

Categories are as follows:
Small block
Small block assisted
Big block
Big block assisted
Import
Diesel - still debating on this one... Don't want to get smoked out lol

SLOWC5
09-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Here's the link to the event on fb https://www.facebook.com/events/408077145958488/

Guys could we get a sticky on this?

Thanks!

Irish
09-26-2013, 08:15 PM
What category would an engine that is physically bigger than a big block with small block cubes fall lol?

T-Bag
09-27-2013, 01:37 PM
"That's a 4.6?!?" category

scaleracer
10-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Hoping to make it out a couple of the days!

Wagonbacker9
10-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Word on the street is the dyno was jacked up?

twicks69
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
It worked just fine for my 5-speed car. Didn't like some people's ignition signal pickups as well as autos with big stalls.

stealthy1ss
10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
My car did really good on the dyno. Definitely is a fun event to go to.

Mr. Brett
10-07-2013, 08:07 PM
That dyno must hate LT1 Camaros. 2 in a row dyno'ed at least 30-40whp off. AFR was all over the place as well.

67-400
10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I was shocked to see that mine only equaled the numbers that my old 350 had. My new 406 makes the 350 feel like a 1989 Z24 with a 2.8 v6

BOSS LX
10-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Remember the dyno is only a tuning tool, the real dyno is the track! Thanks Jeff and the rest of the lmt crew, I had a blast dunking Scotty's old ass!

Irish
10-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Remember the dyno is only a tuning tool, the real dyno is the track!

This!

Wagonbacker9
10-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Remember the dyno is only a tuning tool, the real dyno is the track! Thanks Jeff and the rest of the lmt crew, I had a blast dunking Scotty's old ass!

Absolutely accurate, but when you gain 5whp from long tubes, underdrive, full exhaust, a tune up, and most importantly a tune, your tool is broken.

Flicktitty
10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Absolutely accurate, but when you gain 5whp from long tubes, underdrive, full exhaust, a tune up, and most importantly a tune, your tool is broken.

depends if you used the broken tool the first tmie to gauge your power.

That's why no 2 dyno's are a like.

Wagonbacker9
10-08-2013, 01:53 PM
depends if you used the broken tool the first tmie to gauge your power.

That's why no 2 dyno's are a like.

Apparently in this case no one dyno is alike.

LIL EVO
10-08-2013, 02:47 PM
The dyno is correct. I've seen and tuned multiple cars on the lmt dyno (before and after mods, baselined) including my own and also compared the numbers to two other mustang dynos and all numbers are consistent with each other. The numbers also coincide with online research of the "other cars with similar mods make what power" string

BOSS LX
10-08-2013, 02:54 PM
The dyno is correct. I've seen and tuned multiple cars on the lmt dyno (before and after mods, baselined) including my own and also compared the numbers to two other mustang dynos and all numbers are consistent with each other. The numbers also coincide with online research of the "other cars with similar mods make what power" string

Your car is a stick car though Jason, I know my car does weird things on the dyno that I attribute to my large converter. Like I said before it is a tool, and don't worry about numbers, worry about et and mph.

Moparjim
10-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Your car is a stick car though Jason, I know my car does weird things on the dyno that I attribute to my large converter. Like I said before it is a tool, and don't worry about numbers, worry about et and mph.

I know for a fact and personal experience, old school auto cars with big converters do indeed dyno horrible. Big tires like big squishy slicks dyno poorly too. Built old musclecars like old big block Mopars with a 727 and a big loose converter can consistantly "lose" 150HP on a dyno for sure....

LIL EVO
10-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Ok, I thought the point was being stated in general that something was universally incorrect.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Irish
10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Sounds like someone is butthurt. Shrug.

Mr. Brett
10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Same car, same dyno, mods listed above, immensely faster on the street, 5whp gain. Something was fucked up.

Note: not my car. No one is butt hurt.

Irish
10-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Same car, same dyno, mods listed above, immensely faster on the street, 5whp gain. Something was fucked up.

Note: not my car. No one is butt hurt.

Well, guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

There is a member on this forum who laid down 409rwhp at the tires, through a stock rods, crank piston short block, custom ground cam, ported stock heads, ported intake, pacesetter long tubes, through an m6, 4.10 7.5".

Is it the same ltJuan I am thinking of, that laid down 264rwhp and 291rwtq, that had just put long tubes on. If that is you, you even said that the tune isn't 100%.

Those numbers don't sound that far off for basically a stock lt1, with exhaust..

Mr. Brett
10-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Disagree about what?

Irish
10-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Disagree about what?

That the dyno was fucked up.

Mr. Brett
10-08-2013, 10:38 PM
No, that wasn't me. But that car put down 260 bone stock with a lot of tired parts and dying opti on the same dyno the year before. Mine was the green one that dyno'ed after it. All I know is that for both cars, I saw a lot of monkeying around with settings, the AFR was all over the place, and the kid never did rev mine to where I asked him to. I don't know the guys who were running the dyno when we rolled through, but they didn't seem to have a very good handle on what was going on. I know Jeff knows his shit, not a knock on him. I know it's not like I was paying for a dyno tune session and they were just pushing cars through all day, so I tempered my expectations. We can disagree, that's fine. It was a good time either way.

Moparjim
10-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Well as far as I know the AFR is as simple as sticking the sensor in the tailpipe - there are no settings to mess with or anything to screw up. If the AFR on a few specific cars was all over, and on all the other cars was fine, wouldn't it be possible that maybe those few cars were actually for whatever reason not running correctly thus the low dyno results?

95 TA - The Beast
10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I must chime in here... Since I have not only fixed many LT1 cars tunes that were messed up at LMT (since they DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TUNE A LT1! it is not done like a LSx series, so stop trying to do that), but I have also dealt with some of those same cars that were obviously not dyno'd correctly there and I know FOR FACT that they mess around with the O2s the way they are not supposed to. A buddy had his car done there and based on what he told me it sounded like they tanked the stock-location O2 input to cause the car to run extremely rich, thus killing timing and totally messing up the dyno pull. I know this since when I plugged in my scanner to the car it was still learning it's way back to where it was supposed to be with a proper O2 input, but on only one side! Thus you can tell they messed with the O2 sensor on that side and my buddy confirmed they pulled the O2 sensor and messed around under the car. If that had been done a boosted car it most certainly could have caused damage, and even with my buddy's car currently being NA it was a concern that it could washdown the cylinders.

Sorry, any shop that pulls shenanigans like that to try to get business (as in the car dynos low so they could "fix it" for them, or "tune" it to get more power) or to screw with peoples cars for a pull shouldn't be in business doing dyno pulls at all. And to tune a LT1 PCM like a LSx is just totally stupid. Just say you don't know how to tune LT1 cars and let them go elsewhere. I have diagnosed a turbo LT1 setup that was tuned EXACTLY the way you tune a LSx setup for boost without loading a custom SD 2-bar OS and it was just totally fubar'd.

Sorry, I have dyno'd not only my car, but dozens of other peoples cars, having at experience with at least 100+ dyno pulls at over a dozen different dynos all over the country and Canada, and all that is needed is to strap it down, get a spark signal and put a wideband O2 in the tailpipe. Now the O2 in the tailpipe may or may not give you accurate results (too many variables, such as CATs, split exhausts, etc, etc), but the numbers don't jump all over and sure as hell don't tank compared to the car running on the street. The variance is either richer (because of less load) or leaner (because of other factors), but it is generally the same curve. The only time I see huge variances or inaccurate results is when people play with the dyno settings and/or tank a pull based on how they control the throttle of the car on the dyno.

For a "dyno day" it should be strap the car down, get a good spark signal, put the O2 in the tailpipe, enter the customer info and do a pull. There should be no other screwing around at all, since it is not only messing with the pull, but it also wastes times with others in line. And no, a car that runs fine on the street shouldn't all of a sudden get pig rich on a dyno. If so, there is obviously something wrong.

SLOWC5
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
The dynojet dyno is not changeable. I have no control over changing settings to make more or less power. I verified the dyno last night with a customers cars that was recently tuned. the Dyno on Sunday was reading 35 hp off. I haven't had time to call dynojet to get an explanation as to why it is off. So from what I know now and the car I used last night if the car was dynoed this past Sunday you can add 35HP and 35ft lbs to your numbers.

now onto claiming we do something with O2 sensors is false and I will not get into an argument over hearsay. Just like stated we strap the car down, get rpm and slide the sniffer into the pipe and make a pull. the dyno explains the rest of the so called tune. For dyno pulls we do not remove front O2 sensors and install wide bands that would be another false statement. There was one LT1 that I personally attempted to tune and I could not do that tune, I apologized to the customer and " the beast " dialed that tune in. Glad to see Chris's car got tuned as I could not do it and didn't charge him anything and took care of any problems that arose from it being at LMT.

I'm sorry there was an issue with the dyno on Sunday. Was not intentional nor as simple as this machine is sometimes make it harder to figure out why its making incorrect readings.

Jeff

DNT H8
10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
I verified the dyno last night with a customers cars that was recently tuned. the Dyno on Sunday was reading 35 hp off. I haven't had time to call dynojet to get an explanation as to why it is off. So from what I know now and the car I used last night if the car was dynoed this past Sunday you can add 35HP and 35ft lbs to your numbers
This has to be correct based off my number Sunday and my trap mph. The dyno had me at 377/365 and I trap 115 (stick car), and based off the online calculators and other similiar setups I should be 400+.

Jeff thank you for updating us... PM sent

SLOWC5
10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
No, that wasn't me. But that car put down 260 bone stock with a lot of tired parts and dying opti on the same dyno the year before. Mine was the green one that dyno'ed after it. All I know is that for both cars, I saw a lot of monkeying around with settings, the AFR was all over the place, and the kid never did rev mine to where I asked him to. I don't know the guys who were running the dyno when we rolled through, but they didn't seem to have a very good handle on what was going on. I know Jeff knows his shit, not a knock on him. I know it's not like I was paying for a dyno tune session and they were just pushing cars through all day, so I tempered my expectations. We can disagree, that's fine. It was a good time either way.

There really is zero need to run your car out past 6,000rpms. they ran the car to 6,500rpms. it lost 30 hp from 6 to 6500rpms. The AF was solid then the sensor messed up. If I remember correctly Cory watched the wideband in the car it stayed flat where the dyno's messed up. Add 35/35 to your numbers and you have your curve. Shit I'll redyno anyone from sunday for free.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/kssinbooth/andy2.jpg

LBandt
10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Lmt is the best

Irish
10-09-2013, 02:00 PM
If the dyno was off, I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong.

Taking care of your customers, makes you a stand up guy Jeff.

Mr. Brett
10-09-2013, 04:14 PM
There really is zero need to run your car out past 6,000rpms. they ran the car to 6,500rpms. it lost 30 hp from 6 to 6500rpms. The AF was solid then the sensor messed up. If I remember correctly Cory watched the wideband in the car it stayed flat where the dyno's messed up. Add 35/35 to your numbers and you have your curve. Shit I'll redyno anyone from sunday for free.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/kssinbooth/andy2.jpg

That's fine, with the correction, both cars are exactly where we expected. As for the dropoff at 6k, that might be due to me fattening it up a bit I suppose. I'll have to look at the tune again. Thanks for the clarification.

Wagonbacker9
10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Thats a LOT nicer curve than I expected outa that cam...

SLOWC5
10-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Category Winners are as follows:

Import/FWD - Tim Zimmer - 1999 Eclipse - 944/579
NA Small Block - Randy Molkentine - 2007 ZO6- 501/449
NA Big Block - Geno Heinzen - 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury - 532/660
Assisted Small Block - Andy Gollberg - 1986 Ford Mustang - 1057/803

Winners receive a $200 LMT gift certificate, some LMT gear, and a Rock Auto gift certificate. And pride. Lots of pride.

Closest horsepower winner is Randy Rauch who was only TWO hp off. He wins a Rock Auto gift certificate and some LMT gear.

Thank you to everyone that came out, especially those that braved the weather! Looking forward to planning an even bigger and better shootout for next year already.

*SNOOP*
10-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Lmt bitches!!! That is all.

BOSS LX
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Jeff, I say next year you ditch the burnout pit and prep a few hundred feet! haha

Great party guys!