PDA

View Full Version : Another twist to the parking tickets from awhile back on a vehicle I sold.

05caddyext
08-16-2013, 10:39 PM
So I decided to check Craigslist to see if the van was on there. I checked awhile ago and didn't see anything. Well just a few minutes ago I found it for sale on the South Side of Milwaukee.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3966371022.html

This is definitely the van. I called the number, and it isn't the guy I sold it do. But here is the interesting part. He has a "clean" title, but it isn't in his name. He wouldn't tell me whose name is on the title, just that it isn't his. So now what the $uck do I do? I am 99.9% positive it's the van. Has brand new Cooper tires, that's what I put on in May brand new. Has new alternator, also something I did. Has new battery, also me. Also has transmission issue, which is why I didn't want to fix it. So do I go look at it? I live over an hour away. It's not in West Allis, so I am sure their police department won't care about it. So it has been sold to at least one person after I sold it, who also didn't title it. Do I just hope that the person who buys it from this guy titles it or what? If I lived closer I'd be doing a drive-by right now to see if it's it for sure, it has to be.

Thoughts?

-stew-
08-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Do a drive by, or even better look at the vin on it and confirm it's your old van and then go to that districts police station and talk to someone. If they won't do anything, go to the DMV and see if it is still in your name, if it is get a replacement title and report the van stolen, and go back to the police with the title tell them you know where there is a stolen van. Or take the title to a dealer and have new keys cut and go take the van back. Or take the guys phone number and put up a lot of gay or obscene personal ads on craigslist.

Yooformula
08-17-2013, 09:50 AM
/\ I agree! get a title then report that thing stolen!

05caddyext
08-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Alright here's the next update. So I went to the guys house and looked at it. It is 100% the van. I asked him to see the title, which he produced, and it still has my name on it. I didn't say anything about it belonging to me. I wrote down the VIN, went to the Milwaukee police department. He said I have a couple options. I can have it towed from his house to mine, perfectly legal, it's in my name. Or I can contact the DMV Monday and ask to have my name removed from the title, probably invalidating the title he has. Anyone ever done this? Ever had your name removed from a title? He said someone is coming from Illinois tomorrow morning to look at it, so I am going to call him in the afternoon and ask if he sold it, or if he still has it. Then Monday I am going to the DMV right when they open to speak to them. I don't want to tow it because this guy is sort of an innocent second party correct? He is illegally selling it without having it titled in his name, and he has plates on it from another vehicle he owns. Police said it isn't technically illegal unless he'd get pulled over in it with those plates on it. So yeah, took all I had to not whip out my license and say guess what, this van belongs to me, I am going to the police.

Ricky Bobby
08-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Fuck it tow it home.

michelle
08-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Tow it. Then have guy pay for towing charges and title fees. Release van back to him when he shows you new title.

awsomeears
08-18-2013, 06:34 PM
I think he may just be the second party, I mean I know a lot of guys that bought a car/van and picked it up for cheap. Fixed it to 100% working order and never transfered it into there name because they were going to flip it.

But when it is SOLD, they always make sure its signed in front of there eyes so your not fucking up the previous seller in any way

So yea...

Then again I didn't know about your previous parking ticket issues, that would be the deal breaker for me. Also you already know he WILL be selling it to somebody so then there is another party that may buy it without signing it.

I re-edited this now that I thought about it, I'd take it home and get the cops to document it

05caddyext
08-18-2013, 07:32 PM
He is the 2nd guy to have it without titling it. He is NOT the guy I sold it to. I just dont know which guy got the tickets. I dont want to screw this guy over if it was the first guy. Ill be at the dmv when the doors open tomorrow morning. Hopefully there is a civil way to fix it.

05caddyext
08-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Anyon got hookups on towing? Probably cost quite a bit to get it here its over an hour from my house. He has a picture of it being dropped off from a flatbed tow truck to his house the day after the last parking ticket was issued. Someone should call him and ask who he bought it from and what date.

wrath
08-18-2013, 07:39 PM
In Michigan both guys would be getting two misdemeanors. Illegally plated and improper transfer of vehicle. Plus, depending on how pissed they were they may get you for tax evasion.

They both did something illegal, the second guy is just as dumb. Let him forfeit it. If he's lucky when the popo show up he'll have removed the plate.

05caddyext
08-18-2013, 08:00 PM
The officer I spoke to that day said its not illegal unless hes driving it with that plate on it. Hed have to get pulled over while operating it to get a ticket. And Id probably get the ticket lol since its titled in my name. I askec the cop to go there he said there was nothing that he could do.

BoosTT
08-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Tow it

Nix
08-19-2013, 10:02 AM
As folks have said above. To me there is only one answer from what I gather from others posts. The best option is for you to tow it. If this goof doesn't have a bill of sale from you and he hasn't taken the proper steps to make it completely legit than in my eyes he's asking for trouble. When you do finally confront the guy and explain to him that it's your name on title ask him who he bought it from. Ask him if he has a bill of sale. If he can't follow through with either then ask him where he met the guy when the van exchanged hands.

In the end, I would tow it. For you I believe it could get worse. Don't wait too long. Because if you do, he may find a buyer. When that happens how are you suppose to track it down, again? Rectify the problem now before you are sent right back to where you started.

Good luck

05caddyext
08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Ok so I went to the DMV this morning. Sat there an hour. They said I cannot have my name removed from the title. That only happens when the next person titles it. That releases everything from you to them. If they don't do the right thing, it's a "grey" area and results in my situation. So I called the guy that has the van. He said he has a bill of sale from the other guy. He also says he will not title it in his name as he is not driving it. To which I say that doesn't matter, you have to title it in your name. You don't have to REGISTER it, but you have to TITLE it. He refuses. Hangs up on me. So I go back to the Milwaukee Police department with a picture of the van in his back yard with the wrong plate on it. They again run it and say that it's for an Acura he owns. They again say they cannot do anything about it until he gets pulled over. So then I ask about towing it again. She says if he has a bill of sale from the guy, even though he doesn't have a title in his name, it would be considered theft by me. So I call a tow truck company and ask him how it works. He tells me the same thing, if the guy has a bill of sale for it, which he does, no one will tow it. Back to "grey" area in law. I cannot report it stolen, because I also have a bill of sale to another party, this is how I took care of the parking tickets that will still come back to me. I had to show them my bill of sale, they copied it, and sent the tickets to the guy. Only problem is that at tax time, the titled owner of the vehicle, which is me, has to pay before receiving any refund owed.

The police department tried to call him, he didn't answer, and now the Craigslist post is no longer up, it has been deleted. I know he didn't sell the vehicle yesterday though, a friend of mine called him and asked if it was still there, guy said it was.

I know now that the parking tickets are not from this guy also. He bought the vehicle "from a guy who needed money to pay a bunch of tickets." He had it towed to his house on a flatbed, where it has sat since he bought it. He claims that when he sells a vehicle he always makes the buyer sign a bill of sale, and also writes down the information from their license. So he seems to be just trying to make a buck.

So it seems as though I have no options now. According to the towing company no one will tow it if he has a bill of sale that he can produce when they show up, which he has. And he doesn't care about the title because he believes he doesn't need it in his name to sell it, because he isn't driving it. So I guess I will just let it be. I have wasted too much time and gotten no further than I was when I first got the tickets in the mail.

-stew-
08-19-2013, 12:34 PM
His phone number in a craigslist casual encounter ad looking for male sex partners. Request pictures in the ad.

Nix
08-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Ask him to provide proof of the bill of sale? I mean it won't prove much seeing as how he can just write one up and be a total shitter about it.

How much are we talking about? I mean the dollar amount of the parking infractions?

People suck...

Sent from my Junk LG Optimus Prime

BoosTT
08-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Call him and threaten to have it towed if he doesen't title it in his name.

animal
08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
So I guess the question I have is, how does one safeguard themselves from this happening when they want to sell a car? I was always under the impression if both parties signed the title, it could never be re-used to sell the vehicle again before being re-titled. Is that true? Did you AND him sign it when you did the transfer?

michelle
08-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Best bet is to sign the title and then also fill in all of their name/address information. That way you know you did it and all they need to do is sign it. I think the problem is when the buyer does not fill out the information when you sell the vehicle, so they just wait for the second new owner to do it and skip the titling part.

You could also add in a part to the bill of sale that the buyer will re-title the vehicle within 14 days or something like that. I always keep a copy of the bill of sale and then give a copy to the buyer. And we both sign each other's copies.

05caddyext
08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
The mistake I made was not having the guy I sold it to fill out the title in front of me. As said before I have sold probably 19 vehicles in my life, never had this happen. Never even gave a second thought to it not happening, hell the guy I sold it to is married and has 2 little girls, seemed like a decent guy. I did call the guy that has it now and threatened to have it towed, he said "do whatever you want" "it's on private property behind a fence no towing company will tow it out of there" which is correct. I called a few and they said just that, they said they wouldn't tow from his yard if its fenced, and they speak to the property owner before it's towed, and he has a bill of sale for it. So if I have it towed, according to the woman I spoke to at the police department today, I would be "stealing" it from him. While it is illegal to not title it before sale, he has the paperwork to do so. He has a clear title with my name on it, and a bill of sale showing he paid for it. Which I don't understand how his bill of sale would be valid because it doesn't have my name on it. My name is on the title, but not his bill of sale, so why they would recognize his bill of sale valid, I couldn't tell you. The next time I sell a vehicle I will have the person sign, date, fill in the entire title. Then I will copy it, one for me, one for them. I then will use the real DMV form for my records, have then sign and date that also. I will also take a copy of their license. Finally, I will pull out my pocket knife and cut the person and put some blood on the title and the copies for DNA proof. Either that, or I will demand that we go to the DMV together and watch them title it in their name, that seems to be the only safe avenue you have that guarantees they do anything.

On a side note: While typing this, the original guy I sold the van to called me back and told me to "go %uck" myself. "I don't own the thing anymore, some other guy does so stop calling me." So I ask him if he was the one who got the parking tickets, to which he responds, yes, but I don't own it anymore so they aren't my problem, then he hung up on me. I told him I am going to file a small claims suit against him if he doesn't pay me what is owed on the tickets.

awsomeears
08-19-2013, 04:17 PM
How much are the tickets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05caddyext
08-19-2013, 05:43 PM
The ones I have received past due notices for so far total $470.

Yooformula
08-19-2013, 09:24 PM
ask the guy nicely for a copy of the bill of sale so that you can use that to show the city that you dont own the car. in the least the prev guy would be on the hook for the tickets if it works out.

spooln30
08-21-2013, 01:48 AM
When you sold the van you gave them your plates? I'm confused to why you should get parking tickets as the parking police only enter in the plate # not the vin #. I just got a parking ticket two days ago in Milw and my ticket doesn't have the vin just the plate #. Those PP are too fucking lazy to get out of their jeeps to get every "supposed" wrongly parked cars vin #'s, they have ling sticks with chalk attached at the end to mark tires for 2 hour parking. I get nervous when they drive super close to my car when they're placing the ticket on it. Lazy Fuckers. Another thing is at my old job at a repair shop on the east side we would stick any good plate on cars we were clunking and when they got tickets it would say a Subaru when the car was a Chevy. LOL.

05caddyext
08-21-2013, 06:58 AM
For about the 50th time... I didn't have plates for it. I didn't get plates, I only got a title in my name so I could sell it. It needed too much work, more than I wanted to tackle, so I only titled it so I could sell it. That is the law, so that's what I did. I bought it from a guy I work with, title was clear in his name. In order for me to sell it, I had to title it in my name. I didn't register it to get plates because I never drove it. I had it towed to my house, where it sat in my driveway until the day I sold it. They did do a VIN check that's what the police department told me. That's where this all got messy because the guy that I sold it to, no longer has it, he sold it to another douchebag who didn't title it either.

michelle
08-21-2013, 09:38 AM
So, did you leave plates on it when you sold it?

:goof

Have you stopped over at the house where the van is? Maybe talk to him in person (with a friend along) and give him $20 to let you get a copy of his bill of sale from the guy you originally sold it to. It's not going to hurt him to give you a copy of the bill of sale.

awsomeears
08-21-2013, 10:35 AM
I blame obama

05caddyext
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
So the guy who had it most recently called me today and said he sold the van for scrap yesterday. He sent me a text message with a picture of the voided title with a stamp on it that says Angels towing. Looks semi-legit however the hand written date says 8-20-19, not 8-20-13. And I can't read the phone number for Angels towing. Anyone ever hear of the place? Should I be concerned anymore or is this it? I'm sick of dealing with it.

twicks69
08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
http://angelstowing1.com/

lordairgtar
08-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Jeez, I wonder how much the second guy paid for it and how much it was sold for as scrap.