PDA

View Full Version : Question about parking tickets city of West Allis

05caddyext
08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
So I got 2 notices in the mail today about parking tickets that I apparently have received in the City of West Allis. 5 tickets total. Only problem, I haven't been in the city of West Allis in probably 10 years. How do I find out why I got these? I live in Jefferson! I sold a van back in May, it's my bet that the douchebag I sold it to never registered it in his name, hence tickets. How do I remedy this? Is a bill of sale all I need? I had the guy sign a simple receipt saying I sold it to him back in May, dated and signed by both of us. Says I'll be sent to a creditor if I don't pay. There is no way I can be on the hook for this right? What stops anyone from purchasing a vehicle and never registering it and racking up tickets just like this. Any info/help appreciated.

Lash
08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Go in with the paperwork that shows proof of sale and I'm sure they'll drop the tickets.

Rocket Power
08-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Good luck. I sold a motorcycle and my dad forgot to take off the plate when the guy picked it up fom his house. I had the paperwork showing when I sold it and showed it to Milwaukee and they still made me pay.
Maybe stallis is more reasonable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jbiscuit
08-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Yep gonna have a hard time fighting this. West Allis doesn't care about transaction history etc they just want their money. Unfortunately you might be paying those tickets

michelle
08-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Well if the judge or whoever expects you to pay them, then isn't it yours? I guess time to file a stolen vehicle report!

Kidding. Sort of. Good luck!

JOHN 86GT
08-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I hope you did the proper paperwork and not just signed the title over. I've seen this a few times , friend sold a car and only signed the title over. Buyer never registered the car and left it in the intersection after a hit and run.....

95 TA - The Beast
08-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Depending on how much it all totals you may be better off retaining an attorney...

If you kept your plates, and have a receipt, then you do not have to pay the tickets. Any judge will see that, just that they need to have the other party present to prove it. Unfortunately, they don't want to have to track the guy down to get him to pay, so they may want you to pay and then file a small claims suit against the guy to "bring him to justice" on the tickets. That is where an attorney comes in.

It all comes down to dollars, unfortunately. If he continues to rack up tickets, then you will still get them. I do believe there is precedent to have to vehicle towed by the city of West Allis, but that would mean until it is resolved they will have collections against you. All in all a really suckage situation.

That is why a few people I have known that flipped vehicles did never titled the cars in their name, that way this kind of stuff can't happen.

I do have some nagging recollection that you can notify the state in some manner of the sale of a vehicle to prevent things like this... Might want to look into that.

But, I figure the attorney route might be the quickest way to deal with it overall.

05caddyext
08-04-2013, 12:57 AM
I never even got plates for it. I bought it from a guy I worked with. I towed it to my house to fix a bunch of stuff on it, and decided it needed more work than I wanted to put into it. So I only got a title, no plates. That should help me too right? And I have just a hand written receipt that we both signed on the date I sold it to the guy. Signed and dated by both of us. Guess I will find out Monday. Going to call first, and then assume I will have to drive there and show them a receipt. There is no way I am paying these tickets. I don't understand how this doesn't happen all the time. So far it's $170 in tickets, but that's only the ones that are past due... Is there a way to see if there are more pending?

Rocket Power
08-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Don't think not having plates is going to help. For all they know you were driving an unregistered vehicle.

As far as finding out if there are more tickets, call them. They can tell you any you have in west allis, but only from them.

To find out for any other municipality you'd have each one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lit666
08-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I would go to the DMV, get a replacement title, then report it stolen.

05caddyext
08-04-2013, 02:59 PM
I couldn't do that. I am to honest of a person. He paid me $500 for it, which I have a receipt for signed by him.

Yooformula
08-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I would go to the DMV, get a replacement title

Then call him and tell him you wont release the title until he pays for the fines or refund the purchase amount minus any fees/tickets and take the car back.
He has had the car this long and hasnt registered it and no issues getting tickets under your name....IMO, your honesty will cost you alot more in the long run with guy.

05caddyext
08-04-2013, 03:10 PM
We both signed the title he has... Wouldn't that hurt my position? Or does it void the one he has in his posession

95 TA - The Beast
08-04-2013, 03:10 PM
If you never got plates in your name, then why did you title it in your name?

I mean, if you bought the thing, fixed it and flipped it, without registering it with the state, who do they know to go after you for the tickets???

Something doesn't sound right with all of this... which is going to make it an even stickier issue with West Allis...

05caddyext
08-04-2013, 03:17 PM
I thought I had to title it to sell it. I didn't know I could sell it to someone else without the title being in my name. Wasn't my intent to flip it, I was going to keep it after I fixed it up. About a week after I got it here, I bought a pickup truck from me neighbor and decided to keep that instead. I was going to gut the van and just use it to haul stuff, but the pickup truck made more sense for that so I kept that. I didn't know that I didn't have to have a title in my name to sell a vehicle so I went to the DMV and just got a title with no plates because I wasn't driving it.

05caddyext
08-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I have never bought and sold a vehicle without having it titled in my name, I was unaware you could do that. How does the person you are selling it to know it belongs to you if some other guys name is on the title? I would never purchase a vehicle without a valid title with the name of the person I was buying it from printed on it.

05caddyext
08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
The DMV website says you have to have a title in your name to sell a vehicle so that's exactly what I did. I got it titled in my name, but didn't get plates, because I was selling it, not driving it. I bought it from a guy I worked with, with every intent on fixing it up and using it to haul stuff with it. I put $600 brand new tires, alternator, and battery in it. Then I discovered something was wrong with the transmission and I didn't want to deal with fixing that, could have been a can of worms. So I honored my deal with the guy I work with and bought it anyway. I towed it to my house and was going to let it sit there until I decided what to do with it. This was in May. A week after I got the van here I bought a pickup truck from my neighbor. It was for sale all winter long, and I had offered him half what he was asking, which he turned down back in March. So about a week after I get the van, the neighbor walks over and says is your offer still on the table? So I thought about it over night and decided to buy the pickup truck and sell the van instead. I was waiting for a title from the guy I bought the van from because it was originally titled in his and his ex wives name. So it took a while to get the title from him. As soon as I got the title, I went to the DMV and got it titled in my name so I could sell it. I didn't get plates because I was never going to drive it. I was selling it, and it said I needed a title in my name to do so. So what exactly did I do wrong here? I have had about 19 cars in my life and never ever had a person not register it and rack up a bunch of tickets. I mean isn't this a risk any time a person sells a vehicle? I'm not sure what sounds fishy, that's exactly how it happened.

Yooformula
08-04-2013, 04:38 PM
We both signed the title he has... Wouldn't that hurt my position? Or does it void the one he has in his posession

I am not sure, I would go to a local dmv and explain the situation to them and see what they recommend but I would still request a new copy of that title then dispute the sale until he makes it right by you.

05caddyext
08-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Went to police department this morning. Gave them my bill of sale and the guys address. Lady at window told me to not pay the tickets, that they would send them to the guy. She said if I receive any more that all I need to do is mail them the notices and a copy of the bill of sale and they would be taken care of. She also said that they don't send them to collections, however they can take the money from any tax return you are supposed to receive. When I left, I called the guy and left him a message saying that I was encouraged to go to the dmv and get a new title issued and report the vehicle stolen if he doesn't pay them in a reasonable amount of time. Hasn't called me back, and I am sure he won't. So while they will send the notices to the guy, they are ultimately still my responsibility come tax time if he doesn't pay.

Waver
08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
That is why a few people I have known that flipped vehicles did never titled the cars in their name, that way this kind of stuff can't happen.

I mean, if you bought the thing, fixed it and flipped it, without registering it with the state, who do they know to go after you for the tickets???

Buying and selling a vehicle with out first registering it in your name, also known as title jumping, is illegal in the state of Wisconsin.

I thought I had to title it to sell it. I didn't know I could sell it to someone else without the title being in my name. Wasn't my intent to flip it, I was going to keep it after I fixed it up. About a week after I got it here, I bought a pickup truck from me neighbor and decided to keep that instead. I was going to gut the van and just use it to haul stuff, but the pickup truck made more sense for that so I kept that. I didn't know that I didn't have to have a title in my name to sell a vehicle so I went to the DMV and just got a title with no plates because I wasn't driving it.
You do have to register a vehicle before you sell a vehicle.

Went to police department this morning. Gave them my bill of sale and the guys address. Lady at window told me to not pay the tickets, that they would send them to the guy. She said if I receive any more that all I need to do is mail them the notices and a copy of the bill of sale and they would be taken care of. She also said that they don't send them to collections, however they can take the money from any tax return you are supposed to receive. When I left, I called the guy and left him a message saying that I was encouraged to go to the dmv and get a new title issued and report the vehicle stolen if he doesn't pay them in a reasonable amount of time. Hasn't called me back, and I am sure he won't. So while they will send the notices to the guy, they are ultimately still my responsibility come tax time if he doesn't pay.

That is all you can do at this point.

Wagonbacker9
08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I actually received a mailer from Waukesha that I owed for tickets from months BEFORE I bought a car (different plate and everything). Showed them proof of the purchase date and they left me alone...

88Nightmare
08-06-2013, 12:04 PM
This happened to me in the city of milwaukee. showed them bill of sale. they didn't care, I still had to pay. I had accidentally left my plate on the vehicle though. There is a form you can file with the dmv that is available online for canceling plates. After I filed that, I never had more issues with tickets.

05caddyext
08-06-2013, 07:36 PM
As stated earlier, I never got plates for it. They issued the tickets off the VIN.

95 TA - The Beast
08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Waver, like I said, I just know a few people that buy and sell all the time and don't title in their name... Didn't say I ever did it, never flipped a car in my life. I only buy what I drive.

But, I can see exactly why people that flip cars do just that... If you are doing it to get by and end up having to title every car in your name, and then have to deal with people getting parking tickets and everything else without titling it in THEIR name, it defeats the whole purpose of making money flipping cars... Just saying.

I thought on the title it had multiple boxes where owners can sign and transfer ownership, thus allowing for even car dealerships to buy vehicles, never register in their name and sell the same car on the same title. I highly doubt every car is registered to every dealership before they are sold. I know lots of dealerships have streamlined DMV-ins that allow for all online registration and everything... And sure, it transfers when the vehicle sells, but I doubt the cars are registered to the dealership the moment they get the vehicle in. It happens on the back-end a lot of the time I thought. Especially for small-time used car dealers.

Wagonbacker9
08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Any vehicle you take posession of you're supposed to have titled, that way they can collect their tax.

95 TA - The Beast
08-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh, I have no doubt that taxes is why they want it titled... And that is exactly why a lot of flippers that are just getting by don't do it, since that cut and all the associated hassles, along with the fees end up not making low-buck flipping worth it... Not defending the practice or anything like that, just pointing out the obvious...