PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Suspension on a Grand Marquis

Al
08-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Hello Everyone!

I recently figured out that my 1998 Grand Marquis' suspension was getting soft and the rear end was sagging. I also put a hitch and a motorcycle carrier on. With a bike on the carrier, the back end gets very low. I initially thought about new springs and shocks all the way around. I'm considering an air ride suspension as a possibility.

There are three main advantages with an air ride suspension:
-Load Leveling
-Slamming
-Train Horn

I've searched around the web and found a few setups, but I'm not sure about a few things. Primarily, does the shock go down the center of the bag when replacing a coil spring/shock?

I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with them. I'm sure Pork knows about them, but anyone else?

-stew-
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
You should be able to piece together a factory air ride set up for that car very easy. Rear air ride was an option on that car, and Crown Vic's; also was the only set-up available on Town Cars. Bagging that car seams like a wasted effort. The OEM set up uses an air spring where the coil spring goes, and a shock in the normal location.

STANMAN
08-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Usually everyone goes the other way (when the air bags die they go to shocks/springs) due to cost. You won't get all the "coolness" with a stock replacement kit either.

Al
08-01-2013, 04:21 PM
This car was not originally equipped with the rear air shocks.

On that system, the compressor was not very strong and also tended to get weak with age. Besides, you can't drop the car down at the push of a button with those.

Bagging that car seams like a wasted effort. The OEM set up uses an air spring where the coil spring goes, and a shock in the normal location.

Do you know how the aftermarket setups work? Does the shock go down the center of the bag? That is, the bag is actually shaped like a donut.

On another note, I'm wondering if this car has the old setup where the rear shocks have the air line running into them. Some old domestic cars would allow you to jack up the rear end by pumping air into an air valve somewhere in the trunk. I'll have to go under there and look.

spooln30
08-02-2013, 04:38 AM
You have a couple options, just buy a pair of Monroe air shocks and an air line kit so you can just add air when needed. They can be bought at Oreillys for $80 pair and $8 for the line kit. Or you can get load level shocks that have the spring and shock together and they are adjustable. These were $130 at O'Reillys. I've installed a lot of the Monroe Max air shocks with line kits and they work great and are cheap.

WI_Dave
08-02-2013, 06:37 AM
I think the good air bag kits don't use shocks, the bladder does everything. I could be wrong tho

Al
08-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I think the good air bag kits don't use shocks, the bladder does everything. I could be wrong tho

Air makes for a very good spring with very little dampening effect. I'd expect massive wheel hop from a lack of shock absorption.
I'll call a manufacturer later today.

I'm most likely going to go with the air shocks Spoolin mentioned. I'd totally rock an full air ride, but the limiting factor is not cost or complexity, it's down time while I install it and I want to get my car in good condition for a run to Deal's Gap next weekend.

If possible, I'll go with a setup that is stiffer than stock. These Marquis' come equipped with "cloud softness" from the factory. It sorta makes me want a Marauder.

kornholio788
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Most kits will have the shock in the middle inside the bag itself. Look at air lift. Best kits out there imo.

Air on a daily is very doable. But I wouldn't say it is an awesome option. Install will take a weekend. Good quality parts and install should yield a reliable option. But things go wrong. And with air suspension when things go wrong it is ussually an issue that puts the car out of commission till fixed.

I rocked a bagged car daily for 3 years. Ended up taking it off at one point due to alot of reasons. Ended up putting it back on when I bought a daily. Been rocking it for like 5 or so years. Too much fun. Wouldn't daily it again though. Just my .02

BadAzzGTA89
08-04-2013, 09:45 AM
You can also get helper bags!

BadAzzGTA89
08-04-2013, 09:45 AM
http://www.got-chrome.com/p-462-59544-air-lift-bags-helper-springs-ford-f150-2004-2011.aspx?catargetid=1440165951&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COzGgPSD5LgCFY1FMgod_lgAAA

Al
08-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I installed a pair of Gabriel Hi-Jackers last night.
It was interesting to watch the back end of the car lift up two inches when I put a little air in the cylinders.

BoosTT
08-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Why the heck wouldn't you just get a trailer of the bike? Isn't that the easiest and best solution?

Al
08-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Why the heck wouldn't you just get a trailer of the bike? Isn't that the easiest and best solution?

Once I get to my destination, I can throw the motorcycle carrier in the car. It's not so easy to do that with a trailer.

Al
08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Drove the car around with the bike on the carrier.

It's nerve racking. I should have bought a trailer. The front left lower ball joint needs replacing. I'll do that shortly and then make the call.

BoosTT
08-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Those cars are good for towing, but that is A TON of tounge weight for a car.... like class IV tounge weight. Check your payload.

Al
08-16-2013, 03:25 AM
I removed a few things from the bike to make it lighter, such as the tank and seat.
The Marquis felt but heavy and steered like a Porsche on slicks in the rain.
IMO, too heavy.
I ended up with a good idea for an inventions.
I'm thinking trailer.
Maybe I could balance the car out by putting weight behind the front bumper.