PDA

View Full Version : Rules, Sponsors, etc.

PKmode
07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
:mad:
So I don't post much here but have been a long time lurker. I usually tend to just look at events etc. but thought I'd post some pics and offer a service.

I was quickly pointed out that this is not welcome unless you are a sponsor. I tried looking for a thread stating the rules of the site to make sure I was not breaking any. I couldn't find anything in that regards.

I next looked at the BCM Sponsors thread and do not see any photography services, mainly shops providing mechanical services or tuning. So if I even wanted to be a sponsor, I can't find anything regarding a process or fees associated.

Next I look at events and see Jim, the one telling me off for not being a sponsor, is posting for Samantha advertising the StanceWI show. Are they a sponsor? Where is the sponsor list? If they aren't, Jim was just advertising for them and that is a show I know they make thousands of dollars in profit from. Seems like a double standard.

Where are the official rules? Where is the info to become a sponsor if I wanted to?

TBH, I'll probably just leave an never return as I don't enjoy the negativity received, lack of clear rules and regulations regarding to posting and the apparent set of double standards. Make sure you delete my thread from the photog forum.

-PKmode

Josepy
07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
This is on the main page under the photography section name.
You have made 6 posts since 2009. I am sure you will be missed dearly.

BCM Photography Corner
(3 Viewing)
Share your photos, ideas, tips, and tricks - Sponsored by For the Moments Photography

PKmode
07-30-2013, 01:41 PM
This is on the main page under the photography section name.
You have made 6 posts since 2009. I am sure you will be missed dearly.

BCM Photography Corner
(3 Viewing)
Share your photos, ideas, tips, and tricks - Sponsored by For the Moments Photography

You're right. No one will know or care. Are you a moderator here Joespy? Can you provide me with what I asked for? How about a link to the rules and sponsor info like I asked?

Yep, the ONE sponsor on the photograph section which I had to search for after the fact, (certainly not worth paying for if you can't easily find it).

Korndogg
07-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Right under the Sponsor forums it says contact Cryptic (Andy) for being a sponsor on BCM.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?7251-COMMERCIAL-Postings-Rules

PKmode
07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you, Korndog

michelle
07-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Next I look at events and see Jim, the one telling me off for not being a sponsor, is posting for Samantha advertising the StanceWI show. Are they a sponsor? Where is the sponsor list? If they aren't, Jim was just advertising for them and that is a show I know they make thousands of dollars in profit from. Seems like a double standard.

I would think an event is in a different category than offering a service for cash. I thought that show sponsors a charity of some kind?

Nix
07-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Regardless of the happy horse shit that people will say on this site, I looked at your example pics in the thread you started & damn did those turn out super sexy. Fwiw; I saved your email addy and may contact you in the near future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josepy
07-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Regardless of the happy horse shit that people will say on this site, I looked at your example pics in the thread you started & damn did those turn out super sexy. Fwiw; I saved your email addy and may contact you in the near future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I agree the pics did look great.

PKmode
07-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Michelle, I'm not sure and they may. I only pointed it out as an example. I don't believe 100% of their proceeds go to charity but I could be wrong. The point was I didn't see them as a sponsor and yet saw an actual advertisement posted by the very same member giving me grief about the formalities.

Thanks for the kind words, Nix. My post was not intended to make any waves in here and have taken the steps to inquire with Cryptic (Andy) just to see what would be involved. I really just wanted to take some more photos of cool cars around the city and didn't want any confusion that it was going to be a free service. As mentioned, I don't have a website, business cards or even a formal, copyrighted name. I'm just an enthusiast trying to continue my hobby I'm passionate about.

Thanks for viewing and I again apologize for breaking any forum rules.

Moparjim
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
For the record, I am an active member first of all, second of all I posted info on a car show that I receive no monetary gain or interest in, and that many members attended last year and will attend this year...

PKmode
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
So if my friends on here posted it, it would be all good, huh? No, still a double standard if they are profiting and not a sponsor. Again, I only pointed this out as you were so quick to point out the forum rules, which were not so easy to find. When I clicked the link at the bottom of the BCM Photography page titled, "Forum Rules" it only says:

"Although the administrators and moderators of Brew City Muscle will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Brew City Muscle, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Brew City Muscle reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason."

The link Korndog provided was under general chat and clearly missed. Thanks again, Korndog.

As mentioned, I've already tried to contact the mods, I've apologized for the mistake and asked the thread be deleted. I do suggest that the rules be posted more formally. Maybe a sticky at the top of all forum topics. Jst easier to find and not only under general chat.

As for sponsoring, if it's inexpensive, I'll seriously consider it as I know a lot of local guys who visit this board (even if they are not muscle guys or participating members). I certainly respect the guy who has sponsored the forum and realize if I was not a contributor, it would be unfair to him. Not my intention.

I will on the other hand share some more images when I'm doing a muscle car next or if the owner is a member here. I'm all over the Euro forums and quite active in the forums there but would like to be more active with the home town and this forum seems to have the most car guys around.

Anyways, I tried to make my peace. Happy motoring, MKE!!!

Moparjim
07-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Nothing to do with friends, I barely know the Stance WI people. As I said many of us attended last year and will go this year. Post was a car person posting to inform car people on the car forum when and where the car show was and the info about attending lol...

P.S. it is a non profit, and the show supports charity and is a fund and donation raiser for our troops overseas.

At least your up to 12 posts now!

Prince Valiant
07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
For someone who said he'd probably never post again, you're posting quite a bit....

Korndogg
07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
For the record, you did contact two mods in this thread alone, lol.

:D

0TransAm0
07-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Hmm guess I don't see what the big deal is.. The "sponsor" for the photography section doesn't post anything or hasn't in awhile at least.. Or offered much for services... So if this guy wants to and can back it up with sweet pics like he posted so be it.. But that's just my opinion..

nismodave
07-30-2013, 09:09 PM
PVrEwCa8nSA

michelle
07-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Michelle, I'm not sure and they may. I only pointed it out as an example. I don't believe 100% of their proceeds go to charity but I could be wrong. The point was I didn't see them as a sponsor and yet saw an actual advertisement posted by the very same member giving me grief about the formalities.

Okie dokie.

PKmode
07-31-2013, 10:08 AM
LOL. Tough crowd. Glad you guys got a kick out of it.

Michelle, I was told quite a different story about their profits but will not be posting that all over the internet as it could be hearsay. Not my place, just what I was told and based on that, I was frustrated to have the same person posting about something I was under the impression they make a good deal of money from. Maybe illogical but I was frustrated.

For the record, Cryptic still never got back to me about sponsor info. Maybe he's away from a computer. Additionally, why haven't you other mods in this thread deleted the original thread? I apparently can't edit/delete my posts on this forum. Must be another rule I can't find. I'm sure someone can link me to it make me look stupid for not knowing every post on these forums. Very welcoming group and mods in particular.

I'll end my posting here at lucky #13.

Korndogg
07-31-2013, 10:11 AM
mods in particular.

Pretty sure I helped you out.

95 TA - The Beast
07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Some of this is laughable... Here is the fact of the situation: EVERY single forum, unless a support forum done by a company for it's products, is for profit. End of subject. Advertising, sponsers, etc all pay for it. The people that run it take cash to run it. No-one works for free, and if they do, it is usually due to a love of it. Forums are not for-free, thus money is involved and all the owners take money from it.

Now, besides that, even non-profits take pay. Yes, sad reality is that all non-profit organizations pay themselves off the top for "administration". Contributions done are deducted off of taxes, which means we ALL pay for those non-profits. Whether you back what is being done or not, it happens that way. For the owners of non-profit to say they don't supplement their income (or admit it is the ONLY source of income for some non-profits) is a lie. Sorry, you cannot live off charity unless you have other income and most anyone but philanthropists that are already rich can afford to "give to charity" for their primary endeavors. The rub is, you really don't know how much of what is being donated to charity is actually going for what you think it is going for. Certain big charities are known for less than a dime on every dollar going to what the charity stands for. There are plenty of big charities that are constantly under scrutiny for being cash-machines using more of the incoming money to make more money than they actually give to what is being supported (I do believe a big breast cancer charity to be guilty of that in the past, heavily).

The point is, everyone makes a buck on everything. To be naive and think that since it is a non-profit event for a given cause that it is puristic. That is rarely the case. I am sure good comes of most of charity events, but honestly you just have to make yourself feel better that you are doing something to help others and be happy with that.

At least with someone posting a service and being honest up front they are at least doing just that, being honest.

I do believe the StanceWI crew has like a dozen+ photographers involved. Do you actually think they don't make a buck selling all those photos being taken??? Sure, maybe not under the StanceWI moniker, but somewhere they are all getting paid for their time, which is only done by shooting pics of all the cars people being brought to their events. Again, not as altruistic as stated, is it? Kicker is, you know they all take the tax write-off for their time/effort, yet "own" the pics they take to profit off of. That is the 'grey area' that is so hard for the IRS to audit.

Personally, screw allowing others to make a buck photographing my cars and prostituting those pics out to any/everyone they can... Noticed that a long time ago, far too many using everyone else as a resource to line their own pockets... I have no problem with putting any of my cars in a car show. I have a problem with one being run by a so-called "non-profit" and doing shows as it's primary "fund-raiser".

Wasn't long ago that "Dan" on here pulled that non-profit shite... He and his wife were the greediest people I ever met. Throw parties and expect everyone attending to pay for your party??? WTF??? They did the whole "non-profit" and wrote off as much shite as they could against it. It was CLEARLY done for profit. Just ask the others involved that got screwed by them in it.

Korndogg
07-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Wasn't long ago that "Dan" on here pulled that non-profit shite... He and his wife were the greediest people I ever met. Throw parties and expect everyone attending to pay for your party??? WTF??? They did the whole "non-profit" and wrote off as much shite as they could against it. It was CLEARLY done for profit. Just ask the others involved that got screwed by them in it.

lol who? I don't remember this.

Yooformula
07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Phil, Andy has been out of state doing a charity ride so that might be why he hasnt responded yet to you. We have a sponsor so to be fair to them, we dont allow competitive advertising. Posting pics of your hobby is one thing but posting prices, links to business or soliciting work would go against our rules.

FTR, This site does collect sponsorship dues but to be honest, most havent renewed subscriptions and the money collected is NOT for profit. The amount of work Andy puts into to keep this place going and the fees he has shelled out eclipse whatever he takes in. This site was started for the LOVE of our hobby and has stayed up and running because of that. We began charging for sponsorship because the cost was getting too much for one person to pay out of pocket.

Dennis, if you have issues with Dan, keep it with Dan not here dredged up years later.