PDA

View Full Version : Good place to check a frame, do a compression test and pull codes on the north side?

Nickerz
07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Buying a new daily and want to make sure it's straight. But obviously don't think it's fair to have the guy haul it too far away. Doesn't have any reported accidents, mileage is consistent, condition seems to be OKAY but there was a recent SES light which the owner blamed on it needing an oil change. So far as I know that is a separate light completely. Mileage is low for year, but not sure the owner was responsible with the vehicle during ownership.

GM OBD II btw

So far looking at John Amato & Hall in the area so far.

Lash
07-25-2013, 03:50 PM
If there isn't any reported accidents, why in earth would it have to have the frame checked?

Nickerz
07-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Probably because on the off chance the vehicle has frame damage I don't want to own it? An accident isn't the only way to damage a frame. Corrosion and overloading are other ways to have a severely damaged frame. I'd rather pay a couple hundred to get all this looked at than have to deal with the repercussions of having to fix this stuff. I'm pretty picky on my vehicle purchases and there are still always gremlins that slip by. If I wasn't this careful with the way I bought cars I can't imagine the heaps of shit I'd have bought over the years.

I bought two frankenvehicles when I was younger not knowing how to properly buy a used vehicle, and never again.

Nix
07-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Was one of them your RS that you beat the living snot out of? I remember you were doing burn outs, doughnuts in that thing left and right, just roasting the shit out of the tires. Winding the shit out of those gears in that poor auto like it were a manual. Good times

Nickerz
07-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Was one of them your RS that you beat the living snot out of? I remember you were doing burn outs, doughnuts in that thing left and right, just roasting the shit out of the tires. Winding the shit out of those gears in that poor auto like it were a manual. Good times

Well that was my first car. I actually lucked out on that relatively speaking. I never had one mechanical issue with that car that wasn't my fault. There was a transmission line issue after I ran over a tire in the road speeding and it developed rod knock after I went about 15K miles without an oil change later in it's life. Other relative issues was the clear coat came off of the car (waxed it in the sun) and crashed the outer spoiler into my mailbox backing out of my driveway and a friend of mine breaking the hatch mechanism. If you remove a 16 year old from the equation I'd say it was my most reliable vehicle, tied with my Ranger. I beat both of them as hard, but the Ranger I knew how to maintain a vehicle properly with. I bought my ranger with 30K off a lease (want to say it was an 04, 4.0 sohc with power bulg hood, 5 speed w/ 4.10s I think). I went through 3 sets of tires and that was the only thing it ever needed. It never didn't start, I had zero issues with the 4wd, it never needed brakes, plugs, wires or anything. Only issue was it drank gas. At 96K someone rear ended me and totalled it.

My heart wants a DSM for my new daily, but I know it's a fucking terrible terrible idea. So I will probably end up with an 02-06 Denali with about 100K on it. I'll drive it until until it is no longer safe to drive. I won't mind rebuilding or swapping in a 4L80E if necessary. Always been a fan of those trucks and now they're getting very very affordable. They're floating through dealer actions for about 7K in above average condition with 70-100K on them. $4500-5K in average condition. Small drop on TBSS rims, black out front grill, tint & a cam and I'll be in DD heaven. Looking forward to not having a shitbox as my daily for the first time in a while. Kind of miss having a decent daily driver.

Nix
07-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Yea I remember your ranger too. I mostly remember your RS. If anyone knows about not having a reliable daily it's me. Back when I had my red car I knew it was smart to put it away for the winter but I never saved enough money for it. I would get a daily in place of the other car and it would break down a month or two later etc... It sucked but it was my fault and I had nobody to blame but me. I pounded the shit out of my red car too and the only real issue it had was the 4L40E took a shit one day on 43. Besides that it was one of my most reliable cars ever. Just brakes,gas,oil & tires. Even the opti was original up until the day I owned that car which in itself was a miracle. I got that car with 51k on it in 1999 and when I lost it it had 120k on it. I found another one recently and snatched it up. It has all the same options etc including the flame red interior.

My daily now is a 06 300c. It's a killer daily, I put on a set of super 44s, Rez delete and a predator tuner. In the warmer weather it can get right around 23mpg which seems pretty good to me considering that thing is built like a tank. i plan on running it into the ground just like you plan on doing. I've gotten countless goofy ass faces when I'm cruising down the road with the exhaust and I have two car seats in the back for my kids. I got it with 23k on it and its right on the cusp of 80k. Only issues have been a tstat gasket for some reason or another the passenger side of the radiator started to rot out which was bizarre to me. Like you were saying, if you do general and preventive maintenance you can take a ride as far as you need it to go. For the record, I've always had a soft spot for the eclipse gsx's. I always kept my eye open for a nice clean unmolested one which is basically like trying to find a unicorn. I know they are out there. But I could never bring myself to pull the trigger just because they are so damn expensive to repair and they breakdown for no reason and often no matter how well it is cared for. I've driven plenty of them and they were fun. AWD turbo 5 speed is just a fun combo. The cyclones and typhoons were fun too. I don't think they came with a manual tranny though.