PDA

View Full Version : Smooth is Fast!

stealthy1ss
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Laid the smackdown this past Monday and Tuesday at Road America. Watch this video of cars struggling to keep up in the corners!

PonchoNan can you hang?

06bTWlKLbAE&feature

Waver
06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Looks like some great laps. What times were you running and what was your speed on the straits? you even pulled on the sonic blue roush!

stealthy1ss
06-14-2013, 08:11 PM
There is no timing unless you time it out yourself. On the straits I get up to 116 and I can go 104 through The Kink! Not bad for a 170whp car.

Reverend Cooper
06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
yup he sure did i stood no chance

Waver
06-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Very nice! I need to make it to one of these.

stealthy1ss
06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
yup he sure did i stood no chance

:rolf

Very nice! I need to make it to one of these.

You will make it do a HPDE as soon as you car gets supercharged!

Reverend Cooper
06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Its the worst butthole pucker I have ever had I think

spooln30
06-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I hate vids from the back, you should've done a side or front mount so we could see your driving lines better. From what I could tell your lines looked pretty good and we're really putting rubber on the tarmac. I like when guys push their cars at these events. I gotta wait till next year unfortunately. :(
Btw Coop, I think you need a couple more lights on the front of your stang. Maybe like a push bar with some KC lights, yellow ones for sure. LOL Also did your brakes get really hot? Probably not cuz you weren't going very fast. Hehe.
I'll have to see if i still have the vid of my track days and almost hitting a deer on the back straight in my Supra. Wasn't terribly close but that's a fast parts of the track and it sent chills down my spine.

Waver
06-15-2013, 08:34 AM
:rolf

You will make it do a HPDE as soon as you car gets supercharged!

I don't think it will be that long, lol. It will happen as soon as I can get a few days extra off of work. Hell my future father-in-law runs the campground next to the track and has been asking when I am going to run there.

Reverend Cooper
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
my brakes got hot as fuck since once the cloud hit i was well over 110 and i could not see shit.

Josepy
06-15-2013, 07:18 PM
my brakes got hot as fuck since once the cloud hit i was well over 110 and i could not see shit.

Hot. You must of been riding them since the pits to get them hot by five. LOL

BAD LS1
06-15-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't think it will be that long, lol. It will happen as soon as I can get a few days extra off of work. Hell my future father-in-law runs the campground next to the track and has been asking when I am going to run there.

Who is it and what campground?

WhatsADSM
06-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Driving looked great - I can most certainly say you do a better job than I at RA! I also do wish you had a forward facing cam, just not as informative from the rear.

Although I will say it was fun to watch the yellow 911 stuggle to keep with you in the twisties... and that red 5th gen was getting its ass handed to it in the corners! But then reality hit that RA is (primarily) a HP track and the big horse stuff just comes flying past :(

So the setup right now is basically stock powertrain, brake pads, KW v2s, and which tires again? Your abarth with like 300whp would be kicking ass and taking names!

Josepy
06-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Driving looked great - I can most certainly say you do a better job than I at RA! I also do wish you had a forward facing cam, just not as informative from the rear.

Although I will say it was fun to watch the yellow 911 stuggle to keep with you in the twisties... and that red 5th gen was getting its ass handed to it in the corners! But then reality hit that RA is (primarily) a HP track and the big horse stuff just comes flying past :(

So the setup right now is basically stock powertrain, brake pads, KW v2s, and which tires again? Your abarth with like 300whp would be kicking ass and taking names!

The red 5th gen a brand new ZL1. Driver was really nice but first time on the track and he had no clue what he was doing but got a lot better as the day went on. I went around to all the corners of the track and Tyler was driving the wheels off the Ben Abarth

WhatsADSM
06-16-2013, 10:28 AM
The red 5th gen a brand new ZL1. Driver was really nice but first time on the track and he had no clue what he was doing and not listening well to instructions. I went around to all the corners of the track and Tyler was driving the wheels off the Ben Abarth

One would think it would be hint when your ZL1 is getting smoked in the corners by a 500! Def time to start listening to the instruction...

As a side note if it was his first time on track why was he in an intermediate group?

stealthy1ss
06-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Stock powertrain, Ferodo DS2500 pads, KW V1 coils, and 205/45/16 Toyo R1R's. Car will do 104 in the kink but that is all it has unless I want to kiss the wall or flirt with danger in the grass. Also coming into Canada I am at 115-116mph. If this car had 300whp I would be in A group passing Vette's and Porsche's.

PureSound15
06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
As a side note if it was his first time on track why was he in an intermediate group?

He was a VIP - you're able to run in any class.

Josepy
06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
One would think it would be hint when your ZL1 is getting smoked in the corners by a 500! Def time to start listening to the instruction...

What Ryan said. He. Wasn't wreck less or anything just slow. Plus the car was an auto and shifted sloppy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

nismodave
06-16-2013, 08:57 PM
The VIP in the ZL1 was a true noob. It was his first FULL track event.

But not a terrible noob, he listened to his instructors and did not make any really dumb mistakes. But just a slow learner. Todd said he was realizing what he was doing wrong by the end of the second day, which is a start.

Im sure he will be much faster by next year.

WhatsADSM
06-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Hmmm... Money can't buy you love but it apparently can buy you into an intermediate group.

None-the-less great driving Tyler! Very quick considering its a stock Abarth with brake pads, mild suspension, and (very good) street tires.

Wish I had the nuts you do at the kink. I'm a baby I just pussy foot through it :(

nismodave
06-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Hmmm... Money can't buy you love but it apparently can buy you into an intermediate group.

Yes it does....
http://gttrackdays.com/events.html

He did talk to the Event Owners before the event, and he did have an instructor with him 90% of the time.

Josepy
06-17-2013, 08:46 AM

None-the-less great driving Tyler! Very quick considering its a stock Abarth with brake pads, mild suspension, and (very good) street tires.

Wish I had the nuts you do at the kink. I'm a baby I just pussy foot through it :(

You sound mad he ran in C group. LOL Where were you and Lotus? Would have been fun to watch that thing fly around the track.

WhatsADSM
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
You sound mad he ran in C group. LOL Where were you and Lotus? Would have been fun to watch that thing fly around the track.

Just one of those things. Classic muscle car driver at RA.

Just made worse by the fact that he was a noob on top of it... as long as he was letting legitimately faster cars by (even though they may not have as much acceleration up the straights) then its all good. The ones that frustrate you the most are when you are just going as slow as can be tailing some muscle car up the whole back section of the track then they get to 14 and think there is no need to let you by since they can run away from you between 14 and 1 then 3 and 5. Only to have you catch up by the carousel.

Lotus was just getting back together and is still on a clutch break in period. Had an unfortunate road hazard incident this past weekend but hopefully all will be put back together and ready to go for the Optima street car challenge thing this weekend at RA. Looks like a good time!

Irish
06-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Just made worse by the fact that he was a noob on top of it... as long as he was letting legitimately faster cars by (even though they may not have as much acceleration up the straights) then its all good. The ones that frustrate you the most are when you are just going as slow as can be tailing some muscle car up the whole back section of the track then they get to 14 and think there is no need to let you by since they can run away from you between 14 and 1 then 3 and 5. Only to have you catch up by the carousel.

Lotus was just getting back together and is still on a clutch break in period. Had an unfortunate road hazard incident this past weekend but hopefully all will be put back together and ready to go for the Optima street car challenge thing this weekend at RA. Looks like a good time!

So you're mad because he had a faster car than you?

He was suppose to let you by? Why?

You kinda sound like a track snob.

Josepy
06-18-2013, 08:27 AM

You are talking like you were there. Which you were not. I am confused by your posts.

Flicktitty
06-18-2013, 08:27 AM

I think what Murray is saying is if the Camaro is ONLY faster from T14 to T1 and T3 to T5 There is ALOT of ground that the slower car will go around him, But in track day's like this you have to point people by, There is also i believe only allowed to pass through the straights. So if the Camaro gave the slower straight line car a little breathing room to get by him then there is a good chance that after a couple of laps the camaro wont see the slower straightline car.

Irish
06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I think what Murray is saying is if the Camaro is ONLY faster from T14 to T1 and T3 to T5 There is ALOT of ground that the slower car will go around him, But in track day's like this you have to point people by, There is also i believe only allowed to pass through the straights. So if the Camaro gave the slower straight line car a little breathing room to get by him then there is a good chance that after a couple of laps the camaro wont see the slower straightline car.

I get that.. Still sounds like a guy that is but hurt because someone has a faster straight line car..

If you have the "faster" car you should be able to get around him, right?

Flicktitty
06-18-2013, 01:26 PM
on paper yes, he should be able to get around him, but this isn't a door to door road racing event. You have to get waved by (the driver has to point the rear car by) If you had a ZL1 Camaro would you be real happy about having to point by a FIAT 500?

Irish
06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
This isn't a door to door road racing event.

Lame.

If you had a Boss LS would you be real happy about having to point by a FIAT 500?

Wouldn't happen on this plane of existence.

stealthy1ss
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Irish come up for a track day and I will take you out on the track in my car. You will see that even though you have a faster (more horsepower) car that it doesn't make a difference in the world if someone in a slower car can drive. I have a video from this past spring of me running down a modified G8 GXP in my Abarth for 3 laps in a row before he let me pass him.

Irish
06-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Irish come up for a track day and I will take you out on the track in my car. You will see that even though you have a faster (more horsepower) car that it doesn't make a difference in the world if someone in a slower car can drive. I have a video from this past spring of me running down a modified G8 GXP in my Abarth for 3 laps in a row before he let me pass him.

I will take you up on that offer!

WhatsADSM
06-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Honestly I'm not even sure that the ZL1 is faster than mine in a straight line. I kind of suspect its not but none-the-less that's not the point.

Why: The slower car is supposed to let the faster car pass because its not a race... you can't "win" a track day and everyone is out there to have fun. You can only pass on a point by for the sake of safety.

Just a general comment about a common thing that is seen at RA on track days. You get stuck behind some one who is slow through all the turns and then once they get to the straight passing zone they won't let anyone by because they have eleventy billion horsepower. A lot of time the people with big egos or track noobs with high horsepower stuff are the biggest offenders.

It really can take the fun out of it, and when you are paying hundreds of dollars for an hour or 2 of track time getting in the previously mentioned situation is not fun and costs you a lot of money!

I know because I have been there too. We have all started somewhere, and lord knows I'm certainly not the fastest driver out there. The key is just pay attention and just let the faster cars by. I am typically VERY proactive about letting people by.

You are talking like you were there. Which you were not. I am confused by your posts.

Yup I was just talking in generalizations about things that occur at RA. If you look again I did say:

as long as he was letting legitimately faster cars by (even though they may not have as much acceleration up the straights) then its all good.
This is a thread in the "Auto X Racing" section after all, I should be free to speak my mind.

on paper yes, he should be able to get around him, but this isn't a door to door road racing event. You have to get waved by (the driver has to point the rear car by) If you had a ZL1 Camaro would you be real happy about having to point by a FIAT 500?
Yup

And this is case in point. This is is the type of stuff I have heard before (and even experienced in my car and as a passenger in slower cars).

Think about that for a second... Tyler was stuck for 3 laps at just over 3 minutes a lap. Almost 10 minutes, in a ~20 minute session!

stealthy1ss
06-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I will take you up on that offer!

I will keep you informed.

michelle
06-18-2013, 07:29 PM

No kidding. I have had Corvette and Mustang owners point by my silly Taurus. And then they stop by my trailer later just to check it out. (:

nismodave
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Im not sure how it is at other Track Day Events, but if a certain car/driver is causing major issues at GT Track Days, it is handled by the Event workers and or Orginizers.

As far as being held up by another car on the track at a HPDE Event at Road America, come into the pits, slow down, go right back out PROBLEM SOLVED....Its not that fucking difficult. The godamn track is 4 miles long.