PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Cruze to get a diesel in 2014

88Nightmare
06-12-2013, 12:16 AM
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1305_2014_chevrolet_cruze_diesel_first_drive/

Potential for 46mpg, more hp and torque than the Jetta TDI, 4 more mpg, and a smaller price tag? Could be a winner.

Even has increased sound deadening out of the Verano to compensate for the diesel noise.

Nix
06-12-2013, 01:18 AM
I saw a commercial for this one the other day and to be honest with you I was pretty surprised. I'm wondering how successful it will turn out to be. If it draws as much excitement, promise and customers lining up to drop 40k +/- as the Volt, than this one is already circling the bowl.

EvolvedRegal
06-12-2013, 06:39 AM
They just sold one at Heiser Chevy when we bought our new volt.

-stew-
06-12-2013, 07:22 AM
You bought a volt? Why? How do you like it? What do you get for mileage/range? We have a couple floating around here at work, but I don't deal with them or the people that drive them.

brotherbenn83
06-12-2013, 08:30 AM
The Volt isn't a bad car, the worst thing about them is the price tag. I am one of two Volt techs at my dealer, and outside of recalls rarely ever see issues with them. You get about 40-50 miles on a charge depending on how you drive, and they move and handle pretty well.

88Nightmare
06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
I saw a commercial for this one the other day and to be honest with you I was pretty surprised. I'm wondering how successful it will turn out to be. If it draws as much excitement, promise and customers lining up to drop 40k +/- as the Volt, than this one is already circling the bowl.

But the cruze is already a hot item. I believe it sold 2 million worldwide according to the article. And they're well built. My ex bought a new one. I loved driving it. If the cruze is the new cavalier or cobalt they definitely hit a home run. It's comfortable, quiet, and solid. I think the diesel has a fighting chance. I see tons of TDI vdubs around and if people can get a TDI comparable car for less, it should sell well.

They should offer this engine in the equinox or Malibu too

Prince Valiant
06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Well, Just one of the problems is that it's NOT cheaper than a TDI...not sure why the article has it as such. MF suggested retail price on a Jetta SE TDI is $23,055 to the cruze's $25,695.

Second is that it'll have to compete against it's own very efficient model the eco cruze which starts at over 5G less and is nearly as efficient...and in terms of cost per miles driven, more so.

I love that auto manufacturers are bringing diesels to the market...but as Mike alludes, here's an example where I think this engine would have been best served being introduced as an efficient alternative in a malibu/equinox/impala where there isn't much intramodel competition as in the cruze, much less heady competition from other manufacturers either.

Unfortunately I think much works against the cruze diesel and it's sales will be somewhat of a disappointment...not abysmal, but nothing that will automatically get other makes to rush small diesels to their showroom floors to get a slice of this particular market.

BAD LS1
06-12-2013, 10:30 AM
I've managed 53mpg avg on a long freeway trip with my cruze Eco manual with a tune and intake as the only mods. On 93 octane... Calculated by hand was 51.2 mpg as the DIC is a little optimistic at times. With mixed driving use I'm at 45 on the DIC and 43 calculated. It's always beat the 42 hwy estimates since new.

Only thing Is I wish it had the larger fuel tank if the regular cruze... 12.5 gallons only doesn't go the kinda miles to a tank I'd like it too.

WhatsADSM
06-12-2013, 10:30 AM
cruise diesel wagon!

... wait I just bought a new TSX wagon :(

Prince Valiant
06-12-2013, 10:38 AM
... wait I just bought a new TSX wagon :(couldn't bring yourself to a minivan, eh?

WhatsADSM
06-12-2013, 10:45 AM
couldn't bring yourself to a minivan, eh?

I am deeply saddened by the lack of wagons in this country :(
It was a close call between a new TDI wagon (or waiting for the next gen as a 2015 MY), and buying a TSX wagon. The TSX wagon is a rare bird and will disappear (both TSX and wagon) and the wife always wanted a TSX so we just got it for her.
Plus I do know deep down the TSX is a "better" car than the vdub.

Now all 3 cars in my stable have a Honda K24 engine variant.... weird. Somehow I transitioned from Nissan to Honda without even noticing it?!

Prince Valiant
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I looked for a TDI passat wagon (wanted larger)...for the mileage and year the cost were exorbiant. Plus, you're lucky if you find one within 200 miles of where you live they're so rare.

EvolvedRegal
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
My wife is the primary driver of the car since she goes from hospital to hospital throughout the day seeing patients, etc. She was driving a Dodge Nitro that was getting about 18-19mpg with her driving style and wasn't really cost effective with gas prices going up. So fast forward to last Saturday and she test drove the Volt while I sat shotgun.

So far, now we have only had it 2 days and I believe we got it with 13 miles on it. Theres about 100 right now and the car has only used .6 gallons of gas, everything else is on the battery. So far so good, right?

Even though our lease payments are quite cheap, even paying out the money for the lease and the "expected" amount to pay for gas we will still save a bunch of money per moth with just gas savings. I took over driving the Nitro and will probably get rid of my Jeep thats been averaging 14-15mpg on a good day. So its a win-win for the both of us.

I've only drivin the car a few miles yesterday for the first time while she did her exercise stuff and to me it's a little to get use to. Im use to hearing some type of engine and expecting a gear shift in there. The Volt just goes, silently, no gear shift, did I mention theres no noise? My wife barely knowing what a e-brake handle is for seems to love it so far. We don't have kids but the back seat seems like it could fit a smaller adult comfortably. I guess only time will tell in the long term to see what the actual savings are. Im starting to keep a logbook of the VOlt to check to see what we are getting for mileage and cost per mile driven, etc.

If it's works out to be worth it for her, Im sure we will get a 2nd one for me since I would strictly drive on battery alone with the amount of miles I put on per day. If you are thinking about getting one they say the range is 379 per charge and a full tank of gas. Im going to assume this is going to be correct but the car was not bought to be a long distance driver, basically commutes from Oak Creek to the falls and back during the week. Im sure we'll either use the Nitro or Mustang on the weekends.

Your more than welcome to come over and check it out if you want, it would probably be better than having a salesman in your face the entire time talking about how many they have sold and what-not.

EvolvedRegal
06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Ahh, double post

88Nightmare
06-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Well, Just one of the problems is that it's NOT cheaper than a TDI...not sure why the article has it as such. MF suggested retail price on a Jetta SE TDI is $23,055 to the cruze's $25,695.

Second is that it'll have to compete against it's own very efficient model the eco cruze which starts at over 5G less and is nearly as efficient...and in terms of cost per miles driven, more so.

I love that auto manufacturers are bringing diesels to the market...but as Mike alludes, here's an example where I think this engine would have been best served being introduced as an efficient alternative in a malibu/equinox/impala where there isn't much intramodel competition as in the cruze, much less heady competition from other manufacturers either.

Unfortunately I think much works against the cruze diesel and it's sales will be somewhat of a disappointment...not abysmal, but nothing that will automatically get other makes to rush small diesels to their showroom floors to get a slice of this particular market.

Very valid points. Forgot about the Eco.

VroomPshhTsi
06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
But the cruze is already a hot item. I believe it sold 2 million worldwide according to the article. And they're well built.

It's only 2 years old, I would hold off on the "well built" title until they get at least 5 years/100-150kon them. Any car less than 2 years old shouldn't be breaking down regardless of build quality.

88Nightmare
06-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm not talking breakdowns. Just the way everything felt put together. It drove better than you'd expect from an economy car. If you're still skeptical, that's fine. But I enjoyed driving it regularly

Prince Valiant
06-12-2013, 06:38 PM
the cruze is definitely lightyears ahead of the cobalt/cavy in terms of build quality and design. While I think the exterior is a bit bland it's interior is quite nice.

I just haven't been a huge fan of the powertrain choices. The 1.8 is meh...the 1.4 turbo, while efficient is also meh...all would be forgivable if there was a nice 2.0 turbo or heck, even the new 2.5 I4 was an option for those who only want a little more pep.

And that might be where the diesel shines...it will be the most powerful, and likely quickest of the cruzes.

VroomPshhTsi
06-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm not talking breakdowns. Just the way everything felt put together. It drove better than you'd expect from an economy car. If you're still skeptical, that's fine. But I enjoyed driving it regularly

Ah, gotchya. Not trying to be a dick, just didn't know what you meant by "well built." GM couldn't have really done too much worse than the Cavalier/Cobalt so I'm glad to hear at least initial reviews are positive.

88Nightmare
06-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I should have said "felt well built"

GTSLOW
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Competition for the VW TDI I like it! I still wish VW sold true BASE model cars with the TDI engine. It seems every TDI you can find on the lot is completely maxed out with options. Yes I want an economy car that has $8k in options.....

p.s. all city driving with AC and I'm currently at 386miles at just over a half tank. This is on a 96' w/ over 220k miles. I'd like to see toms cruz do that. :D