PDA

View Full Version : First Drive: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Prince Valiant
05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
C&D's first experience:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-first-drive-review

Thoughts? Laments? Raves?

Intriguing to me is the new 4.3 v6...larger displacement than either Ford's 3.7, mopar's 3.6, it produces torque similar to the large v8 options of 20 years ago (1993's 5.7 TBI injected trucks were producing 300ft-lbs) and greater torque than the ford/mopar offerings, albeit with less HP.

No official figures released for the DI 6.2 yet...CD est 420hp/440ft-lbs of torque for the mill, which seems about right.

Josepy
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
C&D's first experience:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-silverado-1500-first-drive-review

Thoughts? Laments? Raves?

Intriguing to me is the new 4.3 v6...larger displacement than either Ford's 3.7, mopar's 3.6, it produces torque similar to the large v8 options of 20 years ago (1993's 5.7 TBI injected trucks were producing 300ft-lbs) and greater torque than the ford/mopar offerings, albeit with less HP.

No official figures released for the DI 6.2 yet...CD est 420hp/440ft-lbs of torque for the mill, which seems about right.

Love em. I will have one in a couple years when some old fart trades one in cause they have to have another new one. Kinda like the current truck I have now.

Rocket Power
05-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Wow, they made it even uglier. Nice job GM.

Moparjim
05-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Wow I agree that thing looks ugly. I will reserve judgement till I see some but man that gaudy giant boxy grill/front end and those almost SQUARE wheel opens are not good at all.

lilws6
05-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I actually like the styling. Way less chrome tho. I'm not a big fan of chrome shiny stuff.

wrath
05-10-2013, 05:13 PM
I have a difficult time believing going direct-injection only netted 17 more ponies than the current 6.2L...

-stew-
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I will die content if I never own a truck made after 1999.

88Nightmare
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I dig it. It's a shame the mini duramax for the half tons have been shelved due to EPA nonsense while dodge managed to come out with a half ton diesel.

Prince Valiant
05-10-2013, 08:26 PM
...and those almost SQUARE wheel opens are not good at all.
I blame the original avalanche for that...you're right, the wheel arches are not a net positive. Though it probably works best with the blocky styling that they're going for.

Personally I don't think the front is unattractive...it looks as a chevy truck should look. Actually, the stacked headlights remind me of my 79 Dodge, lol.

I have a difficult time believing going direct-injection only netted 17 more ponies than the current 6.2L...Well, it's only estimated power....but then, why not? I mean, the new vette is estimated to only gain 20 hp with the addition of DI...

But that's the thing, these are all but estimates. We'll have to wait and see what the final numbers will be.

But DI by itself doesn't add power...and my guess it was added to improve efficiency and emission in the short-term...while giving a decent floor from which future iterations can become more powerful while still running regular gasoline.

Wagonbacker9
05-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't like this new "double cab" concept with standard hinged but smaller doors. Dodge has been doing it, now GM too.

"To make loading and unloading easier"? One big opening was easier than 2 smaller openings if you ask me.. plus it discourages hanging on the door.

-stew-
05-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't like this new "double cab" concept with standard hinged but smaller doors. Dodge has been doing it, now GM too.

"To make loading and unloading easier"? One big opening was easier than 2 smaller openings if you ask me.. plus it discourages hanging on the door.

Put groceries in a three door truck and you'll understand. You get both doors open and its great because you have a hole the size of the whole cab to but groceries in. And then there is a door in between you and your shopping cart. Trapping you. And then the front door won't open far enough to catch on the detent so it flutters closed. But the latch is gone because you have the back door open so the front door bounces oddly on the weather stripping. And you look like an asshole. And your groceries are still in the cart that is resting against your truck on the other side of that useless fucking door...

Wagonbacker9
05-10-2013, 09:27 PM
So you're saying that getting cargo... into the cab.... of a truck... is the problem being solved here?

Anyone else not seeing this?

-stew-
05-10-2013, 09:36 PM
So you're saying that getting cargo... into the cab.... of a truck... is the problem being solved here?

Anyone else not seeing this?

Yes. Backseat is for groceries, bed is for cargo. Traditional front hinged door makes loading groceries, kids, what ever, easy. Rear hinged door, makes all that shit fucked up if you are parked next to another car.

Wagonbacker9
05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Both of my trucks were 2-door extended cab, so I woulda killed for a 3rd door in any configuration, I didn't attempt to load anything into the back that I didn't plan on leaving there.

T-Bag
05-10-2013, 11:41 PM
I loved my 4 door Dodge. So much nicer and easier to put stuff in the back than the Suicide doors.

To each their own though!

wrath
05-11-2013, 06:27 AM
I like the suicide doors but without Krytox they make noise. And I bet side impact crash tests are horrible without a B-pillar.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
05-11-2013, 06:45 AM
The dashboard is repulsive