PDA

View Full Version : Lowering springs install

Nix
04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a set of lowering springs I acquired for my super fast "cough cough" 1995 z28 and I'm curious as to if anyone would be able to give me a pretty solid price as to how much it would run to have them installed.

To be honest I'm not the richest and money is kinda tight so this is simply a gift from my wife. I acquired new wheels last year and the gap from fender to wheel is similar to between a inbred hicks teeth. That is the best way I can describe it. So it's pretty awful.

If it matters I have 17" 275/40ZR17 & the springs I'd like installed are Eibach Pro-kit product # 3832.140 that supposedly creates a 1.3" drop front and rear.

Thanks ladies and gents for any info or leads.

wikked
04-24-2013, 04:18 AM
d.i.y.

Wagonbacker9
04-24-2013, 07:52 AM
not a hard job... rears are especially easy. You might consider new front shocks while you're in there.

jbiscuit
04-24-2013, 08:10 AM
DIY or just call LMT

Nix
04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
I was considering for a second to do it myself but sort of don't trust myself to do it. I read a "walk through" thread that was posted on LS1 Tech and it looked a little intimidating for the level of knowledge I have. The most I've ever done is header install, vlave covers, blah blah blah but when it comes to suspension and front end work I'm kinda freaked out because I'd shit myself if I'm cruising down the road and the front end fell apart. I'm sure plenty of you had this feeling at some point.

If I did do it on my own I'm pretty certain that I would be able to rent the spring compressors from some where like Autozone or another parts store.

Obviously you guys have done them before. Could you tell me anything particular that I should pay special attention to?

Chances are I will be calling LMT today to see how much it would run.

Thanks

brotherbenn83
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
$250ish

Wagonbacker9
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
You can borrow my compressors. doing it yourself, the main problem people have is not compressing the spring evenly.. do a little on each side several times. If you've done headers, you can do this. You will want to get it aligned afterward, so if you screwed something major up they should catch it.

My compressor may not work on the rear due to external clearance, but you can do the fronts off-car.

Nix
04-24-2013, 02:41 PM
$250ish

Really? Where at? I was quoted at 4 hours of work and about $357. I'm really contemplating trying to take this on but to be honest, I'm scared that I could fuck up and it could be a serious issue if I were to screw up. I really don't have the best luck when it comes to things like this. I mean taking on new projects, things that I've never done before. I don't have the greatest track record.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Nix
04-24-2013, 02:47 PM
You can borrow my compressors. doing it yourself, the main problem people have is not compressing the spring evenly.. do a little on each side several times. If you've done headers, you can do this. You will want to get it aligned afterward, so if you screwed something major up they should catch it.

My compressor may not work on the rear due to external clearance, but you can do the fronts off-car.

I'm appreciate your offer to use your compressors. I'm going to talk to my brother and a couple friends soon if I can't find a cheaper price to have it done cheaper than I was quoted. Then maybe I could get some guidence from someone else there. Obviously two or more people would be better than one.

Another concern that my wife had brought up that I didn't put too much thought in to because at first I really didn't think it would cost so much to do and then I started throwing around the idea of possibly tackling it on my own is that I had a spinal fusion about 9-10 years ago and the bending over, lifting, pulling and sticking my head in a wheel well for an extended period of time will end up physically destroy me for days or even weeks. I've done it before bending over fenders for too long. My lower back is in horrible shape. That's a whole other story...

jbiscuit
04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
You know what you need to do. Just pay someone to have it done then

BAD LS1
04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I can do this on the cheap for you too, I have a hydraulic strut compressor for the fronts. The top nut is probably rusty as fuck and will NOT lend to a dyi situation at all. I've had to torch the nut and cut the strut shaft before to get them apart. F bodies are my world, so I'm quite familiar with this task.

Nix
04-24-2013, 04:08 PM
I can do this on the cheap for you too, I have a hydraulic strut compressor for the fronts. The top nut is probably rusty as fuck and will NOT lend to a dyi situation at all. I've had to torch the nut and cut the strut shaft before to get them apart. F bodies are my world, so I'm quite familiar with this task.

Tom, right? I've herd you are the man when it comes to fbodies. How much are we talking and how does your schedule look? Also where do you live?

Or pm me if you prefer.

Wagonbacker9
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Or just sell me the springs. LOL

Nix
04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Or just sell me the springs. LOL

I actually got them brand new shipped for $169.99 which is almost $100 cheaper than anywhere else I could find. I was floored when I ran across them for that price for a set of Eibach pro-kit.

Nix
04-24-2013, 04:16 PM

Yea that's the verdict I've come to. After my wife mentioned my back and I added that to the equation doing it at home was out of question. After all these years and my back being a wreck I still want to do all that I can on my own but within reason. Laying on a creeper I can still do a oil change lol.

BAD LS1
04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Check pm's. I think one sent.

Flicktitty
04-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I actually got them brand new shipped for $169.99 which is almost $100 cheaper than anywhere else I could find. I was floored when I ran across them for that price for a set of Eibach pro-kit.

That is REALLY cheap, Be sure to double check that they are in fact GENUINE Eibach products, there is a rash of counterfeit lowering springs out there.

brotherbenn83
04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Really? Where at? I was quoted at 4 hours of work and about $357. I'm really contemplating trying to take this on but to be honest, I'm scared that I could fuck up and it could be a serious issue if I were to screw up. I really don't have the best luck when it comes to things like this. I mean taking on new projects, things that I've never done before. I don't have the greatest track record.

On the side, I charge $50/hr...includes alignment. Tom would be a good bet too, I haven't heard anything bad about him.

Nix
04-24-2013, 09:00 PM
On the side, I charge $50/hr...includes alignment. Tom would be a good bet too, I haven't heard anything bad about him.

I've also herd nothing but great things about Tom and I'm 99% sure he is going to help me out. Also thank you for your offer, I really appreciate it.