PDA

View Full Version : Garage door repair help

GOOD LS1
04-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations? The tracking needs to be straightened, the cables need to be re wound and torsion lift springs re wound. No one sells the tools to fix it I guess.

animal
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
What you do, drive into it?

My neighbor does garage door installs on the side. If you have no other hits from people here, let me know via pm and I can ask him if he has time for another garage door side job. Unsure if he can actually straighten bent track though, might have to get new stuff but he helped me put in new torsion springs. Not as big of a deal as some people would have you believe (especially the places that "won't even sell them to end users" :rolleyes).

GOOD LS1
04-22-2013, 01:54 PM
What you do, drive into it?
Nope, someone lifted a car into the tracking.

Let me know if he has time! Tom wants to get it fixed ASAP, something about needing the door to open all the way to work on cars. Ha.

animal
04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Nope, someone lifted a car into the tracking.

Let me know if he has time! Tom wants to get it fixed ASAP, something about needing the door to open all the way to work on cars. Ha.

Ok so a fair description? a car was lifted into the tracks, they are bent to hell and the springs let go as a result.

Needs new tracks installed and new springs, or just springs repaired and rewound after the track is repaired?

I just want to get him an accurate description so he can see what he has going on and see if he has time. No guarantees cause he's found some other stuff to work on lately but I'll definitely run it past him.

BAD LS1
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Double post

BAD LS1
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
The car going into the door had little bearing on the end failure. The tracking is a little warped an that makes for weird friction in spots thru the arc of travel.

All that happened in the end was the right side cable came off the torsion pulley and the left side remained attached. I had to unhook the left side cable tho to close the door properly.

Had a guy come out tonight to fix it, works Better than new with cables ,torsion reset and track tweaked and lubed.

I would have fixed it my self, but no one will sell me winding bars locally to load the torsion bar. Something about liability haha.

animal
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
The car going into the door had little bearing on the end failure. The tracking is a little warped an that makes for weird friction in spots thru the arc of travel.

All that happened in the end was the right side cable came off the torsion pulley and the left side remained attached. I had to unhook the left side cable tho to close the door properly.

Had a guy come out tonight to fix it, works Better than new with cables ,torsion reset and track tweaked and lubed.

I would have fixed it my self, but no one will sell me winding bars locally to load the torsion bar. Something about liability haha.

Dude, 36" x1/2" steel bar was like 5 bux at farm n fleet. These fit exactly with no play and no worry. Cut it in half and there's your two 18" winding bars lol. They even sold me the bar while I bought the springs heh.

Including the winding bars replacing my springs cost me 95 bux. I gave them to my neighbor because he lost his other pair at the time.

Doing this yourself is not the "widow maker" some people will have you believe it is. The people saying it is are usually the ones that stand to make money doing it... Or the suckers that want to feel better about just having paid a guy to do it ;)

Lash
04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
I had a neighbor almost lose his life doing this. His wife found him unconscious and almost bled out on the garage floor. He has a 3"x2" steel plate in his forehead to replace the piece of skull he lost.
At least have somebody with you in case you do hurt yourself.

bikedad
04-22-2013, 09:55 PM
My wife and I own Joe Wilde Co Inc.
We specialize in garage doors. We're also a supporting vendor here on BCM.

If you would like us to take a look at it just call 262-782-0500 and tell them you're a Brew City Muscle member and also tell them Don sent you.

Garage door springs can be very dangerous if you don't use the correct tools (winding bars). I've been on multiple sites where a customer has had an arm in a sling or blood on the floor due to DIY repairs gone wrong. You have to realize there could be over 300 to 400 pounds of torque on the springs depending on the door.
Please be careful.

bikedad
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Dude, 36" x1/2" steel bar was like 5 bux at farm n fleet. These fit exactly with no play and no worry. Cut it in half and there's your two 18" winding bars lol. They even sold me the bar while I bought the springs heh.

Including the winding bars replacing my springs cost me 95 bux. I gave them to my neighbor because he lost his other pair at the time.

Doing this yourself is not the "widow maker" some people will have you believe it is. The people saying it is are usually the ones that stand to make money doing it... Or the suckers that want to feel better about just having paid a guy to do it ;)

Dangerous advice. I've seen the results of some DIY repairs (spring winding) gone wrong. I'm talking hospitalization results.

animal
04-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Dangerous advice. I've seen the results of some DIY repairs (spring winding) gone wrong. I'm talking hospitalization results.

Its probably the same people trying to wind them with a pair of screwdrivers that don't actually fit the holes. I never said proper care should not be taken as well as having an understanding of what you're doing. Its not really any different than working on anything else though. Running a lathe or table saw, doing your own roof, or getting under a car carries the same types of risks, and people do tasks like these every year at their home.

If you're really worried about your own abilities though, you could also just get that spring winder device that you use a drill on. (shrug)