PDA

View Full Version : Engineering minds needed inside please.....

Car Guy
04-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Here is my dilemma: I'm trying to replace all 5 (4 doors + tailgate) door lock actuator motors on a 1997 LX 450 (a.k.a. Toyota Land Cruiser). I found motors that are identical in every way other than the shafts NOT having knurling like the factory pieces. That is where I need some input.....

I need ideas for securing the BRONZE worm gear to the shaft. The smooth part of the shaft is 2mm and has almost zero play between the inside of the worm gear. I experimented with marring an old shaft to replicate some sort of knurling to no avail. I was able to file grooves in an old shaft fairly easily and thought that might help somehow someway.

With the shaft not having knurls for grip some sort of securing agent is needed to keep the worm gear from spinning on the shaft. I thought of JB Weld, permanent thread lock, solder, epoxy, etc. These motors are small but have a lot of torque and constantly get slammed back and forth. Somebody mentioned heating and/or welding both parts but as far as I know that is not a realistic method.

If you wonder why I don't buy new or used replacements that answer comes down to $$$ and reliability. Used parts are a total crap shoot and for the money they demand not worth the chance. Only Toyota makes new replacements and those cost close to $1,000 for all 5 !!!

At this point I'm looking for ANY ideas with this.....

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/20130418_161532_zps54bbe691.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/20130418_161648_zpsea572037.jpg

awsomeears
04-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Snap action center punch........... I have one ( yours ) and that thing is awesome, strong spring and WAM ! makes a purfect divit

twicks69
04-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Loctite green sleeve retainer. Napa has it.

Tim Zimmer - TMZ Performance
Sent from Evo Phone via Tapatalk2

BoosTT
04-19-2013, 12:01 PM
How hard is it to R&R these? I would just JB Weld or Loctite it. Not really another easy solution.

DurtyKurty
04-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Shaft diameters look different.

wrath
04-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Depending on the cost of the motors, I'd try peening it.

Car Guy
04-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Snap action center punch........... I have one ( yours ) and that thing is awesome, strong spring and WAM ! makes a purfect divit

Damn I did not think of that, good idea. Funny thing is I bought that at Harbor Freight for a few bucks and it turned out to be a great tool. However, I think the shaft is too small to get that tip centered for a good peen. Not to mention I think we found our solution......read on.

This appears to be the winner. I posted this same thread on a softball forum and somebody suggested the same thing. Loctite 680 I cannot believe I never heard of this stuff. Apparently this stuff is the real deal and mainly a commercial item. Loctite does not list it anywhere on their website. NOBODY in town (Phoenix) has it in stock and I ordered some online. Thanks for the input! :thumbsup

Shaft diameters look different.

They are identical where the worm gear needs to be. They appear different in the picture but I mic'd both of them.

-stew-
04-19-2013, 08:14 PM
This appears to be the winner. I posted this same thread on a softball forum and somebody suggested the same thing. Loctite 680 I cannot believe I never heard of this stuff. Apparently this stuff is the real deal and mainly a commercial item. Loctite does not list it anywhere on their website. NOBODY in town (Phoenix) has it in stock and I ordered some online. Thanks for the input! :thumbsup

DO NOT waste time using this product. I've had this shit lock up on fittings before getting them tight.

Car Guy
04-19-2013, 08:32 PM
All I need to do is slide the worm gear into position on the shaft. There should not be an issue with this stuff setting too soon. Loctite make many variations of 'retaining compound'. The 680 version sets in ten minutes but that time vastly quickens if you use the priming agent. They also make a slow setting version that allows a lot more time for adjustments.

Russ Jerome
04-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Tim Zimmer - TMZ Performance
Sent from Evo Phone via Tapatalk2
Second Green loctite, someone made me a shirt that reads "i put that #$@! on everything.
Its truly amazing, designed as a sleave retaining compound as requested in OP.

fly5150
04-19-2013, 09:20 PM
loctite 648. we use it at work to hold pinions on high speed, high torque motors. you and install the motor within 5 minutes. sets in 10 seconds or so.

Russ Jerome
04-19-2013, 09:22 PM
I have green LT'ed 24,000# drive axle thru shafts that had previously spun races in iron housings, still feeding 15 litre CAT power thru them today.
Even loose fit peices become rigid at 210* operating temps, applied to both peices and left vto setup and then pressed together.

LIL EVO
04-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Check this out

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/728115-lx450-door-lock-motors.html

Car Guy
04-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Small world Jason! This LX450 is my cousin's and he is 'supdizzle' on that forum. :thumbsup

LIL EVO
04-20-2013, 08:21 PM
:crazyeyes

spooln30
04-22-2013, 10:54 PM
I just bought a tube of the sleeve loctite at the Napa on 13th and Burnham.