PDA

View Full Version : Hiller ford can blow me...

73MACH
04-18-2013, 03:14 PM
2 years ago or so I was looking at trading in my ranger and getting an f150, they had some nice ones close to my price range. Drove a few, 2 of them were shit, like clearly something wrong with trans on one of them. Told them, they said nothing was wrong. 1st red flag. The third I was interested in buying so I sat down and talked numbers. I don't remember specific numbers, but they were no willing to budge $1000 on their price or throw anything in to help ease my mind. Then I got my appraisal for my trade in....kbb value was somewhere like $3200 for trade in value in the fair condition at the time.....they offered me $1000!!! I proceeded by saying thank you for wasting my time and I left unhappy.

Fast forward to a month or so ago, I found out while ice fishing that my 4wd was not working and I developed a ticking noise in the engine compartment. So I took it in to Hiller because of location and I've heard their service dept. was quite good. I have a full warranty so I figured I should have no worries on anything. Turns out the clutch fork in the front differential was broke...100% covered. Sweet! However, the ticking noise was a exhaust manifold gasket, also covered......until I find out they are trying to charge me for extra labor time that the warranty comp. is not covering to the tune of like $4-500.

So I start making some phone calls. Turns out booktime for the manifold is 3 hours, (called multiple ford dealerships in area and they all said 3 hours) but at hiller.....wait for it......quoted 8.....I repeat 8 hours to do the job!!!!! Now I was hot! And of course they already had my truck in pieces so I couldn't really take it anywhere at this point so I got back on the phone. I was able to get the warranty company to cover 1 more hour and hiller also took off 1 hour after 6 days of arguing and threatening to take it to the BBB and others. So I still paid for 3 extra hours of labor but it was done and I was ready to put it behind me.

Now for the best part....last night I received a phone call from Hiller's customer care dept. The woman I talked to said that when my truck was in for service, one of the sales managers took some notes on how nice of shape it was in and the low miles. She was calling to see if I would be interested in selling it to them. Of course I was very reserved about this and explained a couple of things:
-my experiences with their dealership
-You called me to sell my truck
-I did not want to waste my time to get lowballed or "Trade-In value" because once again, you called me
-I asked if they had in stock or could order a specific truck for a friend of mine who is very interested in buying a new truck very soon

The general manager does the appraisal IIRC. He did so after talking to the salesman. After the appraisal, the sales man comes over to tell me what they are willing to offer me. Before I say what I was told, let me enlighten you on what my truck is worth on KBB as of 5 min. ago....

2003 Ford F150 XLT FX4 85,000 miles, loaded, 2nd owner, etc, rated at the "Very Good" rating(which it is every bit of that) If rated at the "GOOD" rating, prices are about $9-1000 less...keep that in mind.

KBB trade in value is $10,096 (again, trade-in value which I wasn't interested in.)
KBB private party sale value is $12,846 ( this is what I would have expected them to be close to)

Ok, now are you ready????

They proceeded to offer me $5,700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, for those that know me, I'm a very quiet, laid back, and very reasonable person, but I lost it! I made it known that I was extremely insulted and unhappy with my time being wasted like that. With that I think I startled the sales man a little. I asked to see the Gen. manager or whoever did the appraisal and was told he just sat down with another customer who had an appointment, to which I said "I too had an appointment and wasn't done with it yet!" I was told I would have to wait..........WTF???

So, I said "I'll just leave, you are so far off, there is no way we are ever going to meet at a price, I'm out!" and was halfway out the door when the sales man said he still had to get my keys back yet......That's how hot I was, didn't even realize I didn't have the keys.

He says, "Let me go grab them for you" Should have taken all of 30 sec. at most to walk 20 feet and get them.
after 3 min. of waiting, I walked over to him where he was talking to another "manager of some sort. Again, wasting my time. That guy asked if we could go over where they went wrong on the price. I told him what KBB was last night, he pulled out a printed paper from KBB and it said $7700!?!?!?

Wait, did you catch that.......$7,700........but wait, they offered me $5,700........after I told them I won't take trade in 3-4 times, they offered me BELOW trade in at GOOD CONDITION and they clearly did not put all the options and all the correct info about the truck in KBB to get that number.

When I put in exactly what the truck is and has in KBB, the value for the FAIR condition is still WAY above what they printed out. Clearly thinking I'm just another schmuck that doesn't know any different. NOPE!

I then told them I've been here 3 times and have left 3 times with a bad taste in my mouth. NEVER AGAIN!!!

I then told them that I absolutely will tell my friend that is going to buy a truck to go anywhere....but here.

After I left, I then called the place that originally contacted me and chewed them out for also wasting my time and leading me on. I was put in contact with the supervisor of that place(Ford Customer Care on BEHALF of HILLER, it is run by FORD itself) and he ensured me that he would contact some of the higher ups in order to have a sit down of some sort with the Hiller owners.

I'm dumbfounded to say the least. If you've read this whole thing, I apologize for it being so long, but it needs to be known. I have NEVER written a letter such as this so this is a little out of the ordinary. I will be forwarding this to HILLER, and FORD itself.

I'm still fired up and its now 3 hours later......That doesn't happen with me.

Josepy
04-18-2013, 03:30 PM
I can feel for your pain. Gordie Boucher in West Bend asked me to never come back to dealership. Apparently I scared some of the sales people. This was about 8 years ago. LOL

jbiscuit
04-18-2013, 03:47 PM
LOL Gordie Boucher in WB is a bunch of jags. We looked at a Trailblazer SS at that dealership a few years ago and the idiot salesman tried to tell me a used one goes for as much or even slightly more than a new one! I LOL'd right in his face as we walked out.

Irish
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Wow!!!! That is by far some of the worst customer service I have ever seen in a while!! I will make sure to pass on this experience to every car forum and social media site that I am a member of.

Maybe a slight reduction in sales due to word of mouth, regarding this experience will be enough for the upper tier executives to pay attention and take action.

Wagonbacker9
04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I used to babysit hiller's kids.

Thats all I have to contribute to this thread.

Moparjim
04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
I think darn near every dealership is using that "we really want your trade" hook. I get it all the time via mail as well, its amazing how "in demand" my used PT Cruisers are lol. They just want to get you in there where they can then try to make a $30,000 sale and lowball you on your trade that they "want".

Car Guy
04-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Fast forward to a month or so ago, I found out while ice fishing that my 4wd was not working and I developed a ticking noise in the engine compartment. So I took it in to Hiller because of location and I've heard their service dept. was quite good. I have a full warranty so I figured I should have no worries on anything. Turns out the clutch fork in the front differential was broke...100% covered. Sweet! However, the ticking noise was a exhaust manifold gasket, also covered......until I find out they are trying to charge me for extra labor time that the warranty comp. is not covering to the tune of like $4-500.

So I start making some phone calls. Turns out booktime for the manifold is 3 hours, (called multiple ford dealerships in area and they all said 3 hours) but at hiller.....wait for it......quoted 8.....I repeat 8 hours to do the job!!!!! Now I was hot! And of course they already had my truck in pieces so I couldn't really take it anywhere at this point so I got back on the phone. I was able to get the warranty company to cover 1 more hour and hiller also took off 1 hour after 6 days of arguing and threatening to take it to the BBB and others. So I still paid for 3 extra hours of labor but it was done and I was ready to put it behind me.

First and foremost finding an exhaust leak like that does not require any disassembly. By taking apart the exhaust (IF they actually did!) they knew you would be handcuffed. You should have said "throw all the parts in the bed and a tow truck will be there ASAP to tow the truck to another shop". Their tune probably would have changed.

Did they explain why the labor charge was almost 3 times as much? Is the warranty company you have aftermarket?

That entire situation smell very fishy.....:rolleyes:

Rocket Power
04-18-2013, 09:19 PM
I had a trade in issue with them years ago. I was looking at a pickup and was going to trade in my olds I had then. After low balling me, i said it was too low, so the sales guy proceeds to want to show me what they're going for at auction. Then when all but one was more than what they were offering he told me to only pay attn to the low one.
I had told him I wanted my guy to check the truck out on a lift which he was cool with and I had a plate in hand , figuring we'd deal more when I got back. He tells me now if I have the truck checked out ,I have to accept the low ball offer. I dropped the plate on his desk from shoulder height and walked out while he was yammering something about wanting to work something out. I was done listening.

Didn't step foot in there again until last summer when my screw needed an alignment . They had a $49.95 deal. Over 2 hours of waiting while they did their bullshit inspection trying to get me to spend $100 to put on a $12 sway bar link I knew was broken, amongst other minor things they tried to get me to let them fix at a ridiculous price. After telling them I knew about everyone already and no I wasn't paying their inflated prices to fix it, and would do it myself they FINALLY pulled it over to the alignment rack and was done in 15 minutes.

If I wanted them to " check over" the truck I would've asked for it. I didn't . I asked for an alignment . That's it.

Forget them.

73MACH
04-19-2013, 01:06 AM
They said the extra time would be for rusted or broken manifold bolts. They had a problem with 1 bolt, but still charged me the extra time.

73MACH
04-19-2013, 01:06 AM
I received this tonight,

Hi Jason,
First, let me apologize for all of us at Hiller Ford. For 59 years we have been apart of this community and it is very important to me to serve all of our customers well. I would welcome the opportunity to assist you. If you would be willing I would be available at your convenience.
Please call or e-mail me directly to set a time up.
Again my apologies.
Sincerely,
Jay Hiller

I will be giving him a call. Does anybody else who has had a bad experience like to go with me to voice their problems also??? lol, that would be hilarious to expect one guy and get 8!:goof Nah, I'm not a dick.

I'm not expecting anything to come from this.

srt4eh
04-19-2013, 02:04 AM
I had a terrible experience at a Dodge dealer on island recently so I definitely feel your pain

jbiscuit
04-19-2013, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't expect anything out of this meeting with Jay Hiller but his note at least shows he recognizes you being mega pissed off will cost him a few car sales (you + if you blab to friends or BCM about it). His not shows he is smart at least and will try and smooth things over, apologize for what happened so at least when you leave even if you don't buy a car you won't have a negative opinion about Hiller. It also wouldn't surprise me if he found this thread. The internet is crazy like that. Keep us posted as to what happens.

animal
04-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah, they're dicks about trades there, and they're dicks about their used cars and the no-budge pricing. I bought my truck there back in 2002, got dicked around trying to buy a used svt focus there in 2003, and have never been back. You gave them alot more chances than I did, lol.

I still hate that dealer less than venus, lol.

Waver
04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
That is why it pays to know somone who works at a dealership.....

Flicktitty
04-19-2013, 11:45 AM
I've always had GREAT experiences with the Kunes Auto Group (In Delavan)

As far as service Andrew Toyota hands down.

As long as we are adding to the go fuck yourself dealerships can i add Heiser Toyota to that list?

DNT H8
04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Maybe a slight reduction in sales due to word of mouth, regarding this experience will be enough for the upper tier executives to pay attention and take action.
This^

If its any help I recently did a lot of buisness with EVS Ford in random lake... They gave me "exactly" what I asked for with my trade in's, no debate! Overall very impressed with EVS Ford!

73MACH
04-19-2013, 01:22 PM
I absolutely don't expect anything from them, however, they absolutely need to know what is going on there, I hope he does find this thread so he can see that I am not the only upset consumer.

Nix
04-19-2013, 02:23 PM
I absolutely don't expect anything from them, however, they absolutely need to know what is going on there, I hope he does find this thread so he can see that I am not the only upset consumer.

Maybe if you get another email from him or you respond to his email add the link to this post for his viewing pleasure. Or send it via a random email address so he can see that there truly is a problem with their stealership.

For what it's worth my wife bought a 07 explorer from there about 5 years ago and our experience was ok. Before we signed on the dotted line I demanded they put new tires on it and correct the alignment issue. They did so with a little talk back because the gentlemen we dealt with said their rock bottom price included nothing extra. It came down to he wasn't going to let a $25,000 dollar sale walk out the door for four tires at cost and a 15 minute alignment.

I hope you at minimum a nice and lengthy apology.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

73MACH
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Nix;750641]Maybe if you get another email from him or you respond to his email add the link to this post for his viewing pleasure. Or send it via a random email address so he can see that there truly is a problem with their stealership.

I may just do that.

Nix
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=Nix;750641]Maybe if you get another email from him or you respond to his email add the link to this post for his viewing pleasure. Or send it via a random email address so he can see that there truly is a problem with their stealership.

I may just do that.

Even if it doesn't rectify your horrible experience it could potentially sink in to his mind that maybe there is a problem with not only the sales staff but managers and others alike. Also you would think that he would start to think of the ramifications if they don't start to change some things soon. It could potentially be they need a wake up call and best case scenario point them back in the proper direction that made them become a rather large dealer in the first place

For the record it sounds like they may need to reassess some of their staff in question and try to retrain or the other option is bring in some new blood.

Either way there is no excuse for their bullshit lying attitudes and severely over charging for labor and I'm guessing they do it for parts as well.

wikked
04-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi Jason,
First, let me apologize for all of us at Hiller Ford. For 59 years we have been apart of this community

lol, sure sounds like they are APART of the community... epic typo.

Firefighter Z
04-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Holz and Braeger are the same way, Braeger being the biggest joke of them all...
I looked at a Terrain SLT-2, KBB my Impala at $4,500. They both offered me $700, I laughed and walked out. As I was walking out Holz offered me $1,200, I continued to walk.
None of these asshats wouldn't even move on a price, not even on a used 2010 Terrain.

95mustang302
04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I almost refuse to buy from dealerships unless I have a wad full of cash or a pre-approved loan from my credit union.

Cryptic
04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
I test drove a brand new 2011 F250 CCSB 6.7l diesel at Hiller before I bought mine from Lenz. I considered buying new (both Chevy and Ford), but the sales guy at Hiller wouldn't even give me a starting price. He wanted to know my Chevy number and said he would price aggressively. Not very straight up business for a $55k truck. All I wanted was a price.

On a good note. I had warranty work done at Hiller. The trans in the 2011 deisel I bought from Lenz was shifting funny (very random shift flares). They fixed the issue in 1 visit. Very pleased with that result.

Truck was into Hiller on 3 different occasions before my bumper to bumper warranty ran out for a whistling in the windshield at speeds over 65. That still isn't fixed. They outsource some guy for that. Well he must not be worth a shit, because my truck still whistles and it's f'n annoying. I don't have thetime to be dropping off the truck constantly.

spooln30
04-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Last march my mother and I went shopping for her 2012 4Runner and she had a 99 4 Runner and every Dealer offered super low trade in values that I got pissed off at every dealer. I knew actually what the 99 was worth and the KBB value, trade in and private party. In the condition it should've been around $5-6k and one dealer only offered $1400? Crazy. I asked where they were getting their pricing and they all said they didn't use KBB and they had some thing called the Black Book. Finally a Toyota Dealer in Sheboygan, offered $5200 plus they through 3 free oil changes full syn oil, all weather floor mats, the Toyota remote start option and even swapped a set of wheels and tires off another 4runner Limited that they just got in. The reason for this was the 4 Runner my mom liked already had 14,000 miles, it was the GM's demo but I expressed I didn't like the tires having that many miles and I knew how expensive 20" tires are. Without hesitation they said they would swap the wheels and tires so she would have brand new tires. Overall experience at this dealership was great the sales people at this Toyota dealer don't work off commission so they weren't pressuring the sale. I used to work at a few dealers and i know how scummy the sales people can be.

73MACH
04-22-2013, 11:22 PM
I've bought my last three vehicles from Toyota dealerships, lol. 2 fords and a gmc. SOOOO much better service

Irish
04-23-2013, 07:07 AM
I've bought my last three vehicles from Toyota dealerships, lol. 2 fords and a gmc. SOOOO much better service

Haha I bought my Jeep from A Toyota dealership.

SmokinRAM114
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
I bought a new toyota for this exact reason... the dealerships I dealt with were in Nebraska. the gmc dealership I went to was ridiculous high with their used stuff and didnt want to budge more then $1000 on new or used. after test driving a used 08 fullsize and a new 12 canyon I walked nextdoor to look at a used '10 tacoma and left with a new '13 for $2k more then the sticker on the used... it also came with 2 yrs free oil changes and tire rotations, also gave me an extended 7yr 70000mi bumper to bumper warranty. (aftermarket warranty provider after 3/36k) they took $5k off the sticker price. they asked me what options I wanted and one option I wanted was manual which ended up being RARE. They went out of their way and located the exact truck I wanted (white crewcab 4wd TRD v6 6spd manual) which ended up being at another dealership 100mi away. They went and got it and delivered it with a full tank of gas which im sure is common practice but I honestly wasnt expecting it.

Waver
04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
the sales people at this Toyota dealer don't work off commission so they weren't pressuring the sale.Well there is my laugh for the day! Unless it is carmax or auto nation, they are on commission. With that being said, Just because just because someone is on commission dosnt mean they are going to pressure you.

I bought a new toyota for this exact reason... the dealerships I dealt with were in Nebraska. the gmc dealership I went to was ridiculous high with their used stuff and didnt want to budge more then $1000 on new or used. after test driving a used 08 fullsize and a new 12 canyon I walked nextdoor to look at a used '10 tacoma and left with a new '13 for $2k more then the sticker on the used... it also came with 2 yrs free oil changes and tire rotations, also gave me an extended 7yr 70000mi bumper to bumper warranty. (aftermarket warranty provider after 3/36k) they took $5k off the sticker price. they asked me what options I wanted and one option I wanted was manual which ended up being RARE. They went out of their way and located the exact truck I wanted (white crewcab 4wd TRD v6 6spd manual) which ended up being at another dealership 100mi away. They went and got it and delivered it with a full tank of gas which im sure is common practice but I honestly wasnt expecting it.

Holy Shiznit, you went to Nebraska to buy a truck?

Honestly, what they did for you is standard practice for a good dealership. It is good that they went down on the price for you as a lot ot Toyota dealerships wont sell it for invoice ect.

animal
04-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Honestly, what they did for you is standard practice for a good dealership. It is good that they went down on the price for you as a lot ot Toyota dealerships wont sell it for invoice ect.

Werd, Nick got me my 5.0 from over 500 miles away in flatland,il and sold it for regular xplan price. No need to go all the way to bumfuck nebraska for such a service. heh.

SmokinRAM114
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Well there is my laugh for the day! Unless it is carmax or auto nation, they are on commission. With that being said, Just because just because someone is on commission dosnt mean they are going to pressure you.

Holy Shiznit, you went to Nebraska to buy a truck?

wasnt planned that way. my ole lady is from Lincoln ne and we were there for easter. we ended up having issues with her 98 ford contour (v6) overheating. I did the water pump (which was the problem) and thermostat in Oreillys parking lot with a tool kit i bought from walmart... to say i was overly pleased about that is an understatement.... but after it was fixed it still ran hot with one fan on all the time. (she drove it two days so im sure it was overheating the entire time) not taking any chances on the 540mi trip home with a 3 yr old, i got pissed off and went and bought a new vehicle. rather then renting a truck and towdolly to haul the POS back to only have to find out its not fixable. the car is actually still sitting in nebraska in a friends driveway in the ghetto with hopes someone steals it. They would only give me $750 on trade for it.

73MACH
04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I sat down with Jay Hiller, the president, today. I walked away feeling good about what we talked about what happened and how they could fix it. We both agreed that there wasn't much we could do to resolve some of the issues, however, there were some that could deffinately be resolved and improved upon.

Without going into specifics, I am content with the concern and acknowledgement that I was given.

Nix
04-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I sat down with Jay Hiller, the president, today. I walked away feeling good about what we talked about what happened and how they could fix it. We both agreed that there wasn't much we could do to resolve some of the issues, however, there were some that could deffinately be resolved and improved upon.

Without going into specifics, I am content with the concern and acknowledgement that I was given.

Wow! That's awesome and great job on following through. There are too many people these days that say they are going to do this and do that after they get shafted or treated like crap by a big business because they figure that it's not worth their time and they just say "fuck it" and walk away. I think that is awesome that you stuck to your guns and followed through with what you said you would do. I'm also glad to hear that you didn't walk away with a bad taste in your mouth and they really took you serious. It really speaks volumes that Jay Hiller the big man in charge took the bull by the horns and took care of business, in person none the less.

Bravo sir

73MACH
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Thank you.

cyclone70
04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
I was service advisor at Hiller for 4 Years and Jay Hiller is the most down to earth owner I have ever worked for

DNT H8
04-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Wow! That's awesome and great job on following through. There are too many people these days that say they are going to do this and do that after they get shafted or treated like crap by a big business because they figure that it's not worth their time and they just say "fuck it" and walk away. I think that is awesome that you stuck to your guns and followed through with what you said you would do. I'm also glad to hear that you didn't walk away with a bad taste in your mouth and they really took you serious. It really speaks volumes that Jay Hiller the big man in charge took the bull by the horns and took care of business, in person none the less.

Bravo sir

This ^^^ So very true

Nice follow through 73Mach

73MACH
04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
I was service advisor at Hiller for 4 Years and Jay Hiller is the most down to earth owner I have ever worked for

This is true from what saw. He truely seemed sorry for what happened and told me that if I need to go there for anything in the future, I am to contact him so he can personally take care of me.

Thanks again guys. A big portion of the reason why I did follow up was because I look at the people that don't know any different on job times or prices of things or in this case...trade in value. When I first started dating my Fiance, she took her Escape in somewhere for an oil change and by the time she left with her truck, she had almost $2000 in unneeded repairs and parts. I don't EVER want that to happen to anyone.