PDA

View Full Version : looking for tire recomendation

jamestown478
04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
I am in need of some good summer only tires for the tt. I don't drive in the winter or crappy weather so I don't need all seasons. I want good traction but don't necessarily need the bugatti of the tire world. What do you guys recommend?

Wagonbacker9
04-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are by far the best tire I've ever spent money on.

Prince Valiant
04-07-2013, 11:17 AM
The ones I'd look at:

Dunlop Direzza DZ101
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT
Kumho Ecsta SPT
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport -or- sport comp 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

All seem reasonably priced and good performers....

Wagonbacker9
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are by far the best tire I've ever spent money on.
Looks like the Z1 Star Spec has been replaced by the ZII. Didn't see that coming, but according to tire rack its superior to what was already an auto-cross favorite tire.

stealthy1ss
04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Top performance oriented tires today are Dunlap ZII, Bridgestone RE-11, Hankook RS3, Toyo R1R, and BFG Rivals. Prince bought up some decent tires that aren't as good as the ones I listed but they could be the right tire for you if you are looking more towards longevity.

Prince Valiant
04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Prince bought up some decent tires that aren't as good as the ones I listed but they could be the right tire for you if you are looking more towards longevity.
Yeah, I was only mentioning the inexpensive ones...decent all-around, longer life, and probably performs better than most any all-season.

BoosTT
04-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I have pirellis on my TT. I like them. What kind of TT do you have? Mines an 01 225 Quattro coupe in black. I don't drive it much any more tho... Maybe 1k miles a year.

DerangedPony
04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I have the DZ101s on my st. Best choice for the price and longevity. If money is no object, then go with the zii or whatever they are calling the new tire.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

WhatsADSM
04-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Top performance oriented tires today are Dunlap ZII, Bridgestone RE-11, Hankook RS3, Toyo R1R, and BFG Rivals. Prince bought up some decent tires that aren't as good as the ones I listed but they could be the right tire for you if you are looking more towards longevity.

Everything recommended here is spot on. All the tires stealth listed are the best traction available in a standard summer only street tire. The only reason not to pick one of those he listed would be cost and/or longevity.

X2

nismodave
04-07-2013, 07:57 PM
dunlop direzza star specs are by far the best tire i've ever spent money on.

ding ding ding!!

jbiscuit
04-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Just stay away from the Dunlop SP600s. They are the loudest tires I've ever owned and personally I don't think the traction is all that outstanding. My STi can spin all 4 of those like an 80k mile farm n fleet tire. I'll probably go with a Hankook once these are toast or I can't stand the noise any longer

spooln30
04-08-2013, 01:45 AM
I have Hankook v12's and their great best tire I've ever owned and with my Supra I've blown through tons of sets.

jamestown478
04-08-2013, 01:58 AM
I have pirellis on my TT. I like them. What kind of TT do you have? Mines an 01 225 Quattro coupe in black. I don't drive it much any more tho... Maybe 1k miles a year.

black 225 quattro roadster

jamestown478
04-26-2013, 06:55 PM
ok so where do you guys go for good deals on tires? tirerack? or is there a better more local place?

LIL EVO
04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
discount tire direct is a tiny bit cheaper than tire rack and they usually have good visa card deals to get cash back. They also have more tires. I use tire rack for the reviews and order from discounttiredirect.

Shipping is always 2 day delivery from Ohio I think they are located.

-stew-
04-26-2013, 09:15 PM
ok so where do you guys go for good deals on tires? tirerack? or is there a better more local place?

I'm shopping tires for my Mustang, I happened to be at Sams Club today and got a couple prices, they were a few bucks cheaper than TireRack.com on two kinds of Bf Goodrichs (some g-forces and super sport a/s) And they have a special going until Sunday (free mount and balance) they normally get $60 for that and it includes lifetime balance and flat repair.