PDA

View Full Version : Fugly Jeep

VroomPshhTsi
03-27-2013, 05:57 PM
In the words of Jimmy from South Park, "I mean, come on...."

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2014-jeep-cherokee-evokes-shock-little-awe-162839715.html

Prince Valiant
03-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I've always always always reserved judgement until seeing a car in person....ever since the 94 Ram came out, and I had seen spy shots and hated it. Yet it blew me away seeing it in person. Sometimes some cars look bad in pics, great in person, or sometimes, they look pretty good in pics and not as great in person...the Range Rover Evoque is an example of the latter.

From the autoshow today, there was this from talking to reporters:
"The Cherokee, being perhaps the biggest news of the day (along with Cadillac CTS, from conversations overheard), kept a large crowd long after the press conference was over. Numerous people told us that they had thought it would be ugly and contrived, but that they were impressed. The rear “takes some getting used to,” as one reporter put it, but the front and side won acclaim. “It works,” said one older journalist who had expected a travesty, based on the spy shots. Another said, “It looks good when you see it up close.” The general consensus seemed to be, ugly in photos, good in person.

“I didn’t think the three levels of lights would work,” said a reporter. “With the driving lights on top, headlights in the middle, fog lights on the bottom, it doesn’t make sense, it looks bad in the photos, but it works when you see it for yourself.”

When I first saw the cherokee, my first thought was what were they thinking. But the look, even the cresting grille, is starting to grow on me...especially the side view.

We'll see...polarizing designs can be hit or miss.

Car Guy
03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Hmmm, well, that is..........'different' :eek:

77thor
03-28-2013, 08:31 AM
I've seen worse... NOT.

VroomPshhTsi
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Chris - you don't have to defend it just because it's Mopar, lol.
I don't care what a few auto journalists say, it's fugly.
But then again, maybe it's a Jeep thing so I don't get it.

Larrygto
03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
They had one on the news this morning in a different color and it looked better, but http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/larrygto/mrhorse.jpg

Prince Valiant
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Chris - you don't have to defend it just because it's Mopar, lol.
But that's the thing...I'm not actually defending it...

But I will acknowledge that there are vehicles that seeing the first time, not a big fan of...but then it grows on you. Sure, plenty of great designs stuck one as great the moment they see it...others can just be so off/radical (which, it's fair to say, it's radical), that its jarring, and frankly unpleasant. But as familiarity sets in, it looks better. Not sure which this will be....

That said, most jeepers hate it....they would have hated it if it looked exactly like the old one too, simply because it didn't have dual solid axles.

hrsp
04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
id like to see it in person...but it looks solid in the pic..