PDA

View Full Version : Local Turbo Rebuild Shops?

PonyKiller87
03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm looking for the parts to rebuild the stock turbo in my 98 Saab 900

Also looking for a place that could balance the shaft assembly and possibly just do the whole rebuild for me.

Anyone know of a local place for this?

Flicktitty
03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Not local, But BOOSTLAB in Orlando is a great shop.

PonyKiller87
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah, needs to be local. The car is a beater so its not really worth dumping a ton of money into.

I found rebuild kits on ebay and a tech write up on how to do it, so unless I find some place local that could do it cheap I'm just going to do it myself.

awsomeears
03-27-2013, 08:43 PM
LKQ over on college has a ton of new-ish cars... maybe get a used turbo ?

Russ Jerome
03-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Nobody within 300 miles can balance a turbo (vsr) but honestly the comp and turbine are balaced before assembly so for the average Joe its a non -issue.

Fuel systems on Robin lane will have parts if you want to give it a go (e-bay kits are cheaper, precision or cheap are both quickly deliverd) , its actualy ez to do if your handy. A torch is a must on old cartridges to free exhaust scroll bolts some times. Fuel systems will do it for you otherwise.

If you core is determined to be scrap PM me for a good builder.

spooln30
03-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Like others have said nobody local. They are super easy to rebuild but need to be high speed balanced. I would just buy a used one, most of those cars are probably in junk yards anyway so it should be fairly easy to locate one in town.

PonyKiller87
03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
One of the write ups that I found on how to rebuild it says that if you mark all the parts on the shaft and get them back on in the same orientation the balance should be fine. Seems to make sense.

I thought about getting a junk yard turbo, but then I'm pretty much in the same boat I am now, a used turbo that may or maynot last for a while. If the car wasn't a beater I would buy a reman, but this thing just isn't worth it. The thing has 260k on the clock, and the turbo is already out for other reason, so I would hate to get it all back together just to have the seals start leaking in a few thousand miles. Fuel Systems isn't far from my work so I will check them out.

Thanks

Russ Jerome
03-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Both the compressor wheel and the turbine/shaft are balanced before being assembled. Turbonetics aftermarket turbos are one of the only VSR or high speed balanced after assembly. I've repaired/ put together a LOT of turbo's and never had anybody say it failed prematurely, people who have bought my old cars (all of them have rebuilt by me turbo's) still come by, leaving tire smoking launch's on there way home :)

Slow Joe
03-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Is it a TD04 or T25?

spooln30
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
You could mark everything and reassemble IF the wheels aren't damaged in and way shape or form. I rebuilt a CT26 on my other Supra and it lasted untill I spun a rod bearing. My PTE was balanced before and after assembly.

PonyKiller87
03-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Is it a TD04 or T25?

It has the stock garret T25.

I stopped at Fuel Systems, haven't heard back from them yet.

Slow Joe
03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Find a used TD04 off a later HOT/SE. They "last forever" and are relatively cheap. I think there's one on Saablink right now for $180 + shipping.

PonyKiller87
04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I'll probably look into that if I can't get a rebuild kit for this one.