PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience buying a salvage car?

BOSS LX
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Looking to buy a salvage car online. It looks like they are all in a auction type of sale. Any help would be great! I'm only interested in the drive-train, so I really don't care about the body.

Moparjim
03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
If you just want the drivetrain there really isnt much to know since I am assuming you don't want to title/register it which can be a pain or even impossible if it has been marked certain ways.

Otherwise, the only other condition I know of is you will have to pay cash - most banks or credit unions wont lend on a salvage title.

Ricky Bobby
03-09-2013, 04:24 PM
what kind of car?? I might be interested in the body if its a full framer.... wouldnt be registered either just demo'd and scraped

Car Guy
03-09-2013, 10:06 PM
A title marked 'salvage' means an insurance company totaled the vehicle at one point in time. I bought and sold more salvaged vehicles (pre and post repair) than I can remember and NEVER had a problem with registering. If the title has a 'rebuilt' notation that means the vehicle was salvaged but then inspected by a state agency and deemed a satisfactory repair. The only thing you really need to watch out for is when a title has been junked. As far as I know there is NOTHING you can do to ever register a junked title (vehicle) again.

Buy the car, strip the parts you need, and send what is left to the scrapper, or Tony.

BOSS LX
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
It's just a unibody car.

Wagonbacker9
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I bought and rebuilt an S-10 a number of years back. The rebuild inspection is really not anything to worry about as long as you have half a brain and would feel safe driving it. Assuming you don't care about all that, its just like buying the engine and drivetrain, but with a title... I think you may have to title it in your name before salvaging it, but you may find a slightly less reputable yard that'll take it as is provided you'll provide them with a bill of sale from your purchase.

Car Guy
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Your name does not need to be on the title.

BOSS LX
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Well I just bid on this car, I already have access to a long block and trans, but I think this will be much easier if the price is right.

Feel weird about not seeing a car before bidding, but there is no way around it. Complete drivetrain going in a fox body.

http://www.salvagereseller.com/vehicles/details/14190533-2003-FORD-MUSTANG-CO-FL-MIDWAY

MY FYN 79
03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Dealt with several salvage title vehicles myself. Should be no big deal if you plan to strip n scrap. BTW, I'm not a Ford guy by any means but that was a pretty bad ass car before it got wrecked. Best of luck with the project.

Car Guy
03-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Is that drivetrain extremely hard to find? Everything involved to get that home and out seems like a lot of work, and $$$. Shipping will be close to a thousand, auction fees, etc. I'm simply curious.

BOSS LX
03-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Is that drivetrain extremely hard to find? Everything involved to get that home and out seems like a lot of work, and $$$. Shipping will be close to a thousand, auction fees, etc. I'm simply curious. Not super hard to find, but very popular and it is worth the extra $$ to me to have every wire, hose, etc.

BoosTT
03-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Looks to be a good deal for what you plan. Shipping could bite you though.

Waver
03-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Well I just bid on this car, I already have access to a long block and trans, but I think this will be much easier if the price is right.

Feel weird about not seeing a car before bidding, but there is no way around it. Complete drivetrain going in a fox body.

http://www.salvagereseller.com/vehicles/details/14190533-2003-FORD-MUSTANG-CO-FL-MIDWAY

Andy, if you end up buying it, let me know. I would be interested in some of the remaining parts from it (seats, hood, front cover).

Irish
03-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Andy, if you end up buying it, let me know. I would be interested in some of the remaining parts from it (seats, hood, front cover).

Get in line Chester.

Waver
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
lol what would you need the hood and the front cover for if it is in good condition....that and sn95 seats sit too high in a fox.

Irish
03-11-2013, 04:01 PM
lol what would you need the hood and the front cover for if it is in good condition....that and sn95 seats sit too high in a fox.

Who said anything about it going in/on a fox.

blackmage
03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Complete drivetrain going in a fox body.

Who said anything about it going in/on a fox.

He did.... lol

Hopefully you didn't want the rear subframe with the IRS, looks like that might be a little worse for wear.

Irish
03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
He did.... lol

Hopefully you didn't want the rear subframe with the IRS, looks like that might be a little worse for wear.

Re-read the thread...

Andy was talking about the drivetrain. Waver and I were referring to the exterior body parts...