PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding the right car!

NicolaiP
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Hello Motor Enthusiasts! I have a dilemma and I need your help!

So I'm selling my 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder because I've come to realize it is not a very practical car for a 21 yr old Law Student. I need help deciding what kind of car to get. I've been researching and researching (more than I have been for school) but I cant seem to narrow down my choice, so I must turn to your wise hands for help!

What I'm Looking For:
-Reliability
-Speed
- Uniqueness
- Gas Efficiency
- A Sedan
- Below 90k miles
- 03 at the oldest

What I've looked at:
-Audi A4
- VW GLI
- Acura TL
- Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
- Saab 9-3

Any information on what is better (or even a new car I haven't mentioned) would be incredibly helpful. I'm going insane trying to pick the right car!

Nick

Moparjim
03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Your going to have a hard time finding ALL of those things in one car, particularly speed is generally at least somewhat of a trade off for gas mileage and reliability so depends what your real priorities are. Judging by your list I am guessing speed is fairly low on the list you basically just want something decently "sporty".

If speed is a higher priority I would think things like the EVOs or Subarus would be on your list. AWD is awesome, particularly in our crappy weather state and either of those is still fairly reliable as long as you dont go too mod crazy or beat them super hard.

-stew-
03-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm Soviet Russia, car needs help finding you!

NicolaiP
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Your going to have a hard time finding ALL of those things in one car, particularly speed is generally at least somewhat of a trade off for gas mileage and reliability so depends what your real priorities are. Judging by your list I am guessing speed is fairly low on the list you basically just want something decently "sporty".

If speed is a higher priority I would think things like the EVOs or Subarus would be on your list. AWD is awesome, particularly in our crappy weather state and either of those is still fairly reliable as long as you dont go too mod crazy or beat them super hard.
Haha I am realistic and I know that I can't find all of these qualities in a single car, but reliability would be the most important. Also, I should mention that my spending limit is 10k so an EVO or Subaru is probably a little pricey.

Prince Valiant
03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Neon SRT-4
/thread

Moparjim
03-06-2013, 05:51 PM
SRT4 is actually not a bad platform, and I loved my CSRT4. Problem is you have to find one that hasn't been "tuned" to death by a retard at this point.

Wagonbacker9
03-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Wrx?

NicolaiP
03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I was looking at SRT-4s but I can't seem to find one that hasn't been incredibly abused. I was looking at a WRX but I can't find any without 120k+. Any thoughts on a Volvo S40 or S60?

Lash
03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Get a car that's dependable and gets good gas mileage. Save the fun stuff for after graduation.

NicolaiP
03-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Get a car that's dependable and gets good gas mileage. Save the fun stuff for after graduation.
Any suggestions? Besides a Civic ><

LIL EVO
03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Aveo

NicolaiP
03-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Aveo
I use to own a Aveo and a wheel disconnected from it for no reason. Won't buy one ever again!

Wagonbacker9
03-06-2013, 07:33 PM
I was looking at a WRX but I can't find any without 120k+.

My 2 cars have 438K miles on them... I forget that this matters to some people. lol

BoosTT
03-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Civic and motorcycle. Best of everything...

Prince Valiant
03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Cobalt SS

JC70SS
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Tl ftw.

03CVLX
03-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Mercury Marauder. 2004 would be the newest you could get though. Prices have really started to drop. Unless your looking for a 10K mile all original survivor. Here is one example. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85253

WhatsADSM
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I agree with most of the previously stated cars. I don't think you would be able to swing it for the price but a sedan cobalt ss (with the lnf turbo engine) is a VERY nice package. Has just about everything you listed although most don't think its "cool" which can be a good thing since that means not too many have been tinkered with.

P.S. probably more than I want to spend but how much do you want for the MRS and is it a manual?

PureSound15
03-06-2013, 11:00 PM
From what you listed - Acura TL.

Classy car that will hold you over post graduation

Plenty quick

Reliable - more so than the other options

Better to take a date in a TL than a SRT4

You won't be able to throw a TON of cash at it like the others, which is good since you're in school.

WhatsADSM
03-06-2013, 11:07 PM

Plenty quick

You won't be able to throw a TON of cash at it like the others, which is good since you're in school.
Also agree with this. Between what you have listed I would say the TL is definitely the best of the bunch.

NicolaiP
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I agree with most of the previously stated cars. I don't think you would be able to swing it for the price but a sedan cobalt ss (with the lnf turbo engine) is a VERY nice package. Has just about everything you listed although most don't think its "cool" which can be a good thing since that means not too many have been tinkered with.

P.S. probably more than I want to spend but how much do you want for the MRS and is it a manual?

It is a manual! It's going to be listed for 11k once I get the title from home.

NicolaiP
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Plenty quick

I'll have to look into these! Any year I should especially keep an eye out for?

stealthy1ss
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM

LNF's are slightly out of his price range. People are selling them between 14-16k but you also have the same issues as with SRT4's. The tunes that people put on them are complete garbage with 30+psi on the stock turbo.

I agree with buying something that gets good gas mileage and buy a fun car when schooling is over.

NicolaiP
03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
LNF's are slightly out of his price range. People are selling them between 14-16k but you also have the same issues as with SRT4's. The tunes that people put on them are complete garbage with 30+psi on the stock turbo.

I agree with buying something that gets good gas mileage and buy a fun car when schooling is over.

A few people have told me this so far and I understand that I should wait, but I'm not a very patient person ;). The truth is I'll be going to school in the city so I actually won't be driving that much so fuel economy isn't a huge worry of mine. At one point I had thought I had narrowed my choices down to a Audi A4, Saab 9-3 or Volvo S40 or S60. One of my mom's friends keeps pushing me toward an A4 over a Volda s40, saying that Volvos are hard to work on a break constantly and that an Audi would last better.

Irish
03-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I know it's a quite a bit older annnnd it's not even a car however, it is AWD and does have a turbo :)

http://bit.ly/XPCNQz

brotherbenn83
03-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I've got an ultra-reliable 02 Buick LeSabre for sale. I realize it meets almost none of your criteria other than it is a sedan, but it's only $4000, which leaves you $6k for gas.

BoosTT
03-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Just keep the MR2.

Waver
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Plenty quick

Ryan, you have a very good point. Stay away from the TL-S models though, as they are still going for stupid crazy money. An Impala SS/LTZ with the 3.8 would also be a good choice as well

stealthy1ss
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Find a nice Saab 9-3. They have turbo Ecotec motors, 4 doors, sporty, and they are relatively cheap.

Wagonbacker9
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Ryan, you have a very good point. Stay away from the TL-S models though, as they are still going for stupid crazy money. An Impala SS/LTZ with the 3.8 would also be a good choice as well

GTP wouldn't be a horrible choice either... though they have their quirks. Fuel mileage depends completely on pedal usage.

NicolaiP
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Just keep the MR2.

Trust me, this would be my favorite option! I (and my whole family) just don't think it is the most practical car. :/

Slow5oh
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I really enjoy my Dart for a daily driver. I got it with the 6 speed, Drive a Rallye or limited 1.4T with a 6 speed. Unless I missed some sort of price you were looking to stick to.

NicolaiP
03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I really enjoy my Dart for a daily driver. I got it with the 6 speed, Drive a Rallye or limited 1.4T with a 6 speed. Unless I missed some sort of price you were looking to stick to.

I was trying to stay at or below 10k.

NicolaiP
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Find a nice Saab 9-3. They have turbo Ecotec motors, 4 doors, sporty, and they are relatively cheap.

I was looking at the 9-3 because they are a really nice car. My only concern is that Saab went out of business so parts are going to become expensive and hard to find.

Prince Valiant
03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Not really though...the 9-3 is built off the GM epsilon platform, which includes cars like the malibu. Engine is all GM. Brakes, trans, everything...it's more a GM than a true saab, for certain.

Wagonbacker9
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Not really though...the 9-3 is built off the GM epsilon platform, which includes cars like the malibu. Engine is all GM. Brakes, trans, everything...it's more a GM than a true saab, for certain.

As are a good portion of them... 9-7 is more trailblazer than saab.

stealthy1ss
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM

You are correct. If you try to get Saab parts it will be more expensive but you can get all the basics from a GM parts supplier. My Cobalt has lots of Saab parts on it but I can buy all of them through GM.

NicolaiP
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
You are correct. If you try to get Saab parts it will be more expensive but you can get all the basics from a GM parts supplier. My Cobalt has lots of Saab parts on it but I can buy all of them through GM.

Oh really?! That's awesome to hear! Any idea what kind of part GM wouldn't have? I'm just trying to think of a "worst case". Also, would a mechanic be able to install non-Saab parts for me? Seeing as how I won't have a garage when I move, I won't be able do much of my own work.

Also, any thoughts on a GLI? I've heard good and bad about VW. But then again I hear good and bad about everything!

stealthy1ss
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh really?! That's awesome to hear! Any idea what kind of part GM wouldn't have? I'm just trying to think of a "worst case". Also, would a mechanic be able to install non-Saab parts for me? Seeing as how I won't have a garage when I move, I won't be able do much of my own work.

Also, any thoughts on a GLI? I've heard good and bad about VW. But then again I hear good and bad about everything!

GM Techs should have no problems because the drivetrain is all GM. Only type of things that would be different would be body and interior stuff.

Lash
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
There was a decent 05 wrx with some mods and I think 80k ish miles on the car and 15k on the motor for $10,500.

In Wanaukee on Craigslist