PDA

View Full Version : few gun questions.

0TransAm0
02-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Welli purchased my first pistol. Bought it used from a friend who needed some cash. Its only had a half dozen clips thru it.
Smith & Wesson 9mm. SW9VE it says on the side..
So do I have to register it? And if so how?
I payed 225 for it with a holster 2 clips and 100rounds. Good deal?
I only plan on using it for home defense if ever needed and a plinker up at the cabin when I go. I want to get a CC permit but don't know how to go about that either.
Ive shot lots of guns and carried before but never actually owned one besides my hunting rifle.. Thanks for the help.
Mike.

STANMAN
02-10-2013, 04:58 PM
It's commonly called a "Sigma", and they are on the lower rung of the handgun chain. $225 isn't a bad deal, but I wouldn't trust my life on a Sigma. Ever. Having been the assistant gunsmith at Gander Germantown I can tell you it was the most returned handgun for breakage/repair (the Remington 7400 was the most returned rifle). The best "fix" for a Sigma is to purchase a Glock or HK. If you are looking for something in a lower price range, a Ruger "P" series is the way to go. You don't have to register it, and if you want a CC permit (don't carry the Sigma for the love of God), go to the WI government website and look at the requirements. Basically you need some sort of training (if you have a hunter safety course that counts) and $50 and you are good to go.

Good luck, you picked up a good plinker gun for a decent price!!!

-stew-
02-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Take it out and shoot it and see how you like it and see how you find it to be. Don't listen to people who don't own one because they don't know what the fuck they are talking about. And if you talk to people that own one, you're gonna get different answers. Case in point: I put two or three thousand rounds rounds through the sigma .40 I had and never had it not go bang, and never had it fail to reload itself. And it would shoot anything you put in the magazine, cheap bulk reloads, store bought bulk ammo, aluminum cased Blazer; it didn't care. My dad bought that gun new in the mid ninety's, and I'm sure he's put two or three times as many rounds through it and I don't recall him ever bitching about it. And I can all but assure you that firearm has never been taken apart and cleaned. My buddy has a sigma in 9mm; he hates it. It's the biggest piece of shit he has ever owned, he wishes the trigger guard was bigger because sometime you need the strength of two fingers to fire it. He bought it brand new and sent it back twice and it still ain't right.

Your results may vary.

Lash
02-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I have 2k+ rounds through my sigma 40 and not a single misfeed or ftf...EVER. I would trust my life with mine. Does that mean everybody has had the same luck as me? No. But that can be said for every gun on the market. They aren't pretty and they don't have all the cool features... But mine has been getting the job done. The trigger pull isn't any worse than a da revolver.
During these time you not going to come close to anything better than the sigma for that price... Fact!

Reverend Cooper
02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
I had a sigma bought it new from someone that had to get rid of it,It looked so cheap i resold it without ever shooting it lol
but hey maybe yours will be a great one.

Rifleman WI
02-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Checkout Wisconsin Carry Inc. on Facebook or online for a Free CCW class. Its only 4 hours long. There is one coming up in Two Rivers next month i believe.

Rifleman WI
02-11-2013, 07:34 AM
I just received this email, i went to the last class with my sister, it was a good class, and its free.

Hi,

We are having another Concelaed Carry Class on March 30. There are still lots of openings, so pass the word. Thank you.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. has another free concealed carry license training course planned for the Two Rivers area. If you attend this class you will leave with the 'proof of training' document that you need to apply for/receive your concealed carry license from the Wisconsin Dept. of Justice.

This class is free and open to the public. To attend you will need to ****email the instructor**** Arthur Jordan

arthurjordan2209@hotmail.com

You will also want to download and print documents 1-6 from the following link and bring them to class:

http://www.dwave.net/~phred/WCI_Downloads.html

Class details:

Westshore Sportmen's Club 11267 Lakeshore Road Two Rivers, WI 54241

March 30th, 2013 11 to about 3:00

You will also need to bring:

Wisconsin Drivers License Or Wisconsin Photo ID Something to Write with

Directions:

From Two Rivers, North on HWY 42 about 6 miles, take an East on County Road V, after about 1.7 miles take a South on Lakeshore Road. Go about 3/10 of a mile, Westshore will be on the left side of the road.

Later,

Art

STANMAN
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
There are exceptions to every rule. I wish I had the confidence in Sigma's that a few here have, but I don't. I personally have never owned one. Have shot quiet a few both at the range and test firing in the shop. The one's that have problems were not "operator error" problems that you will commonly find with some 1911 buyers, these were actual breakages. That's the only reason I wouldn't ever trust my life to one. Every mechanical piece of equipment will fail, without exception, but with my life on the line, I am going with the lowest percentage out there.

This is also why I carry a revolver instead of an auto most of the time. Daily carry is a Smith and Wesson Airweight in .38 special. Fits easily into my pocket, don't even know it's there. If I am going into a condition yellow zone, it's a G26, condition red zone it's a G17 with 2 extra mags on the weak side. You never know when 51 shots may be needed in a red zone!!

0TransAm0
02-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Well I took it to shooters and put a dozen clips thru it. Shoots fine for me trigger pull seems a little on the tight side
But then again I don't have a high end gun to compare it to that I could shoot one then the other. All in all
For the little use the gun will get im satisfied with the $$$ spent.
Thank you guys for the CC info. I have a hunter safety course done already I know that qualifies but I think I will
Take a class anyway. Can't hurt right?

Wagonbacker9
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Even the class I would say is insufficient.

Slow5oh
02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
magazines, not clips :)

Rifleman WI
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
After sitting through 2 with my Gf and Sister, i fully agree. I got mine with Hunters safety, but that doesn't teach you the laws and how to deal with taking a life. in one class, they asked the class if you could shoot someone that is kidnapping your child. 85% of the class shouted hell yes! Guess again, you cant, and last time i checked, your not clint eastwood, so your not going to be able to pick off the kidnappers in a moving van from 25 yards away with your shitty ass LC9. Youd probably get unlucky and plug your kid accidentally.Then one said they would shoot at the van to disable it and everyone agreed.. again, this isnt the OK corral.. you cant just start lighting up the van, what if you miss and hit a bystander? I know alot of the WCI guys are for Constitutional Carry, but to me, 90% of the people in both classes i went to should not be allowed to carry a gun, and be able to take someones life. 4 hours of training isnt enough. But, i will pass the info along, becasue all the toolbags trying to charge $100 for the same class is wrong, when you can go for free. Inless the class involves more training and live fire, then go ahead and spend $100.

Even the class I would say is insufficient.

WI_Dave
02-12-2013, 06:52 AM
I have a Sigma in .40cal and have had no problems with it. It is not my go to gun, but I would trust it if needed. I do like my P series Ruger in .40cal better as far as comfort while shooting but its bigger/heavier so I probably wont carry it either. For carrying I prefer sub-compact .45's such as xds and pt145 but everybody's different, the really short barrels probably aren't as accurate esp. at longer ranges but I like them.

Any class worth taking on your own should include defensive situation training IMO

I used my hunters safety for the permit as well. I have some other training and feel very confident in my abilities, but I still would like to take a defensive situation one. Years back, after one of the college shootings (virginia tech, columbine, ect). I saw a show where they took a number of people who thought they could have stopped the shooter if they were ccw'ing in the classrooms, and every one of them failed one at a time in a hands on paintball reinactment, when everyone else in the room hit the floor behind desks the "armed students" a couple stood up and fumbled around trying to get their weapons out from under their t-shirts ect. and the shooter turned to them immediately and shot them. A few situations had a second shooter in rear of room as a student sitting at a desk, when whoever tried to stop the shooter the second one shot them from behind. They then all took a defensive class and re-did the classroom activity and if I remember right all were successful in stopping the attacks with less casualties. We didn't have ccw back then but it made me re-think about what type of training I should get myself.

Rifleman WI
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
^ Agreed

Rocket Power
02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
WCTC has a ccw class for under $30. My wife took it when it first started and was $80. Taught by Law Enforcement trainers.

Sigmas are fine. They just have a heavy trigger pull.

After I was told by Gander once they don't buy SKS's or any other "Assault Rifles" even ones they sold like AR's, because their "gunsmith" doesn't know anything about them, I would take gunsmithing advise from there with a bag of salt. What kind of gunsmith can't figure out simple guns designed in the 40's and 50's?

STANMAN
02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
WCTC has a ccw class for under $30. My wife took it when it first started and was $80. Taught by Law Enforcement trainers.

Sigmas are fine. They just have a heavy trigger pull.

After I was told by Gander once they don't buy SKS's or any other "Assault Rifles" even ones they sold like AR's, because their "gunsmith" doesn't know anything about them, I would take gunsmithing advise from there with a bag of salt. What kind of gunsmith can't figure out simple guns designed in the 40's and 50's?

When I worked there they wouldn't take them or sell them as a corporate policy, nothing to do with the gunsmiths. The master gunsmith at the Germantown Gander where I worked was a former military armorer, so it wasn't from lack of knowledge with assault platforms, lol. Shortly after he left, I left, shortly after that they stopped having a gunsmith on site at most Ganders. All Ganders can take gunsmithing work, but it gets sent to the Kenosha Gander where all the gunsmiths now work. And they will do work on most assault weapons now from what I have heard, obviously I am in little need of any work Gander can do, so it's second hand information from others taking their guns their. As far as SKS's and AK's, why would anyone want to work on them, they are designed to be throw aways (well, there are some quality AK's out there, but generally speaking)?

Again, far be it from me to say what someone can and can't stake their life on. I am sure some people carry Jennings and Bryco's as well, and I am sure some of them are dead reliable as well. Just like Glock, HK, Sig, insert a quality gun manufacturer here can make a lemon, but when MY life is at stake, I am going with the highest percentage of success that I can afford and shoot well. Perhaps some people don't think their life is worth the $300 between a compromise and the next closest percent to a "sure thing" that the market can provide, but I do. It's like bargain shopping for Lasik surgery. I had mine done at Hale Vision after LOTS of research. It's where every Bucks, Brewers, Packers player has theirs done in the WI area. Was there cheaper alternatives that could have got the job done, for sure, Lenny Hale is for sure the most expensive option out there, but I only have 1 set of eyes, and to me there are certain things people shouldn't bargain shop for. Just my opinion.

Reverend Cooper
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Bob altho we never agree does make a valid point. And yeah you have two eye's,but you only have one life,I will put mine in a more expensive proven platform than a sigma thanks.

TheRX7Project
02-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I have a Sigma 40 that I bought from someone on here.

The trigger sucks out of the box- BUT there is a very easy fix for it. If you don't like it you can reverse it and go back to stock. You can watch the video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKit97YipiE

I did the trigger fix, and have had zero problems with it. The Sigma may be on the lower rung of the pistol ladder but I'd rather have my Sigma than nothing, and it sleeps next to my bed in case of bumps in the night.