PDA

View Full Version : Overheating question

73MACH
02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
This morning, my buddy sumhow overheated his 2 ton chevy dump truck. He pulled over as soon as he noticed and let it cool down for awhile. He says that now the truck is running 25-30 degrees warmer than usual.

Does anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? He asked me if antifreeze can be "burnt", or no good anymore after this happens and I have no clue. I reccommended that if he is concerned about it, the least he could do is replace the existing coolant.

Thanks for yout time,
Jason

juicedimpss
02-05-2013, 03:11 PM
may have hurt the sensor,may have kicked a head gasket,may simply have a trapped air pocket.

Reverend Cooper
02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
sometimes overheating causes thermostat partial or total failures,meaning on overheat the thermostat is opened farther that it has ever been before,the other thing to look at is the radiator,pull the cap and see if it looks melted internally. justa a thought

73MACH
02-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Thanks for weighing in guys. I don't think he ran it long enough to blow a head gasket. Also, no white smoke, missing coolant, or leaks.....Let's hope it's not a gasket anyways. Just simply running hotter than normal. I'll relay the info and tell him to do a coolant change and thermostat change and see what happens then.

Thnaks!

rcutclif
02-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Just do a quick visual to make sure nothing has broken off and flopped up and is blocking the radiator (maybe the grill is packed full of ice?). Did he figure out what caused the first overheat?

spooln30
02-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Since you said Chevy I wouldn't hesitate to say that the DexCool coolant probably in his truck is gunked up and his t/stat is probably not opening up all the way. DexCool is by far the worse coolant known to man and if not changed regularly it turns into mud and causes hell on the cooling system. Flush the entire system along with the heater core and replace the t-stat and he should be ok.

Russ Jerome
02-07-2013, 01:28 AM
2 ton, as in Duramax diesel? And Im with spoolin30, dexcool is a known cause of cancer, aids and obama being re elected and should be flushed out of any GM car before leaving dealer lot. Stuff alone will eat thru aluminum but mixxed with "normal" green or any traditional lifetime coolant it converts to a brown paste that undermines your complete vehicle.

73MACH
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
2 ton, as in Duramax diesel? And Im with spoolin30, dexcool is a known cause of cancer, aids and obama being re elected and should be flushed out of any GM car before leaving dealer lot. Stuff alone will eat thru aluminum but mixxed with "normal" green or any traditional lifetime coolant it converts to a brown paste that undermines your complete vehicle.

lol, I had it wrong, it was his chevy 2500 pick up. He flushed the whole system and replaced thermostat. I will be talking to him in a couple of hours and find out if anything changed.

-stew-
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Change the oil too. That shot doesn't like getting cooked.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

73MACH
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Change the oil too. That shot doesn't like getting cooked.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

copy that!