PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Coyote scene...post em up!

Russ Jerome
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
OK so I've been having a blast calling in coyotes with a distress call, no shooting just practicing on how to get them to react the fastest. I've had them about run over me in New Berlin behind work (184/Lincoln) but they get wise pretty quick and I need to move on to new area's. Chris and I have been working 91st st south of Goodhope with good luck, expect they are all along the Oak leaf.

What urban area's Have you seen them frequently?

jbiscuit
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
So...you are calling coyotes into populated urban areas?

Prince Valiant
01-27-2013, 09:18 PM
It is a blast to call them in. Meg and I went out yesterday, and even not getting them to come in, she thought it was thrilling...we got them to respond to a challenge call with some yips and howls.

I also know there are a lot in Greendale too that I'd like to try an call in...there and the general franklin area.

Also seen them down at vetrans park, and along the oak leaf as it runs up toward the east side.

I think while there is still snow on the ground, I wouldn't mind going up north to see if I can't get some wolves to come in :D

Prince Valiant
01-27-2013, 09:20 PM
So...you are calling coyotes into populated urban areas?Well, we're calling what's already there. I mean, google wrigleyville coyotes...they're everywhere. I've seen coyotes in the lower east side (foxes too).

There is a huge one over by me that I've encountered twice...Russ and I haven't had called him yet, but a city worker told me he thought it was a wolf. He is that big...

lit666
01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
wow, I seriously thought this was about the new mustang motor.. Bad title Russ

crazyhorse
01-27-2013, 10:22 PM
^^ me too. What a let down haha. Haven't seen any animal coyotes up in thiensville

Irish
01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
wow, i seriously thought this was about the new mustang motor.. Bad title russ

DNT H8
01-27-2013, 11:48 PM

X3 LOL

Great motor btw o_O

SSDude
01-28-2013, 05:46 AM
OK so I've been having a blast calling in coyotes with a distress call, no shooting just practicing on how to get them to react the fastest. I've had them about run over me in New Berlin behind work (184/Lincoln) but they get wise pretty quick and I need to move on to new area's. Chris and I have been working 91st st south of Goodhope with good luck, expect they are all along the Oak leaf.

What urban area's Have you seen them frequently?
What kind /brand of call do you guys use? Are you doing this during daylight or night??

Cryptic
01-28-2013, 07:10 AM
who needs a call... they are in my yard already.

DirtyMax
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I usually hunt them alot over the winter. The guys I hunt with and I all went out Xmas night. Called one in.. it didn't leave due to a hole in its lungs. Aside from that, haven't had time to do much and the snowfall/moon haven't really been cooperating. Caledonia area. People really like it when we retire these varmints.

Prince Valiant
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

^^ me too. What a let down haha. Haven't seen any animal coyotes up in thiensville

X3 LOL

Great motor btw o_OYep...we were looking for someplace to go and discuss the merits of HP/L in modern V8's....

What kind /brand of call do you guys use? Are you doing this during daylight or night??Most times I've gone out was without a call...just encountering them. First time Russ and I went out calling, Russ used an iPhone, lol...downloaded rabbit distress sounds.

I find that going out either early morning/dawn, or later dusk works real well.

I went out and purchased an electronic call. Stewart's Predator 2...plays cottontail and jack rabbit sounds, coyote challenge calls, coyote pup calls, fawn calls. Figure when I get around to finding my reed call and turkey call I'll have a number of ways to call the coyote in.

-stew-
01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
^^^ phone speaker is loud enough?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Prince Valiant
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
^^^ phone speaker is loud enough?We called one in within 20 yds of us with it...

GTSLOW
01-28-2013, 02:08 PM

:rolf same here!

Russ Jerome
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Im using a generic mouth call, typical reed call with bellows at end. The Smart phone is not "loud" to you or I but Fox and Yotes listen for mice so there hearing is a serious tool. I walked down one of Chris' trails Sunday over fresh snow, no tracks. After calling and seeing shadows in the evening my return walk was nothing but tracks covering my own that were not there 20 min earlier!

I have a digi cam handy for next outing, pictures coming!

UnderPSI
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
I have shot ten so far in my "yard" What iphone apps do you use? I have a reed call that I use, also an electronic megaphone style caller. I don't remember what the brand is off hand, but it works well it has 60 or so calls on it. Works good for crows too. i picked up some crow decoys for some extra fun.

73MACH
02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
I had 2 coyotes running down the road early friday morning while out plowing. Big ones too, 50-70 lbs I'd say. 118th and cleveland in the subdivision just north of the school.

Prince Valiant
02-23-2013, 02:13 PM
There definitely seems to be more of them than 10 years ago...which I don't mind. I just hope locals know the risk and keep an eye out for their pets!

I just wonder what the city would do if they do become a nuisance? I have no objection to hunting/shooting them...trapping/relocating wouldn't do anything since they'd just be pushed back toward the city. Just not big on poisoning 'em.

Oddly though, even though I've seen more coyotes, I've also seen more foxes than in the past too...

JC70SS
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Saw one yesterday down by Jacobus park. A couple hrs later it was up near that parkway just east of 84th and Bluemound during broad daylight.

Lash
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
I hear them hunting them all the time by my house. Usually off the woods in the farmer fields at night.

hrsp
02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
whats the point of doing it? i never heard of it..lol...i did see one in newberlin when i was walking my dog...i was glad i had him with me..i dont know if "they" would try to attack a person but having my dog made me feel safe!! im pretty sure my dog would be able to take one out if need be...

Lash
02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
The point of doing it is population control. Somebody's gotta do it. They aren't any other animals that'll kill em around here.

Gregor
02-25-2013, 06:59 PM
taking them down with what? I think you can shoot anything smaller than .22 rd in Caledonia.

PB86MCSS
03-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Last spring I saw two running along the railroad tracks next to Potowatomi at night, tried to get a pic on my camera but at night wasn't happening from a distance.

kevcuda
03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I thought this thread would have to do with..http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coyote_024.JPG

Silly me