PDA

View Full Version : cant shift

Cryptic
09-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Not sure if anyone is gonna be able to help (maybe garret) but maybe most clutches work/look the same way.

I can shift through the gears when the car is off, but not when its on. I bled the clutch line. There's not a whole lot of pedal pressure (especially for a HD pressure plate). I suspect its the throw-out bearing isn't seated properly (deep enough??) .

I have taken a few pics through the inspection plate. Perhaps someone here can tell me what's going on.

clutch engaged
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/temp/engaged.jpg

clutch released: (notice not a whole lot of movement)
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/temp/released.jpg

Is the brass looking retainer thinger supposed to be out like that, or should it be seated all the way in?

I was so close to being able to hit the highway tonight damn it. I have the freshly painted bumper on and all the new exhuast. :mad:

turbogarrett
09-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Is there air still in the system? I remember having to bleed it quite a few times.

Cryptic
09-19-2004, 08:48 AM
I did it a few times. Is this the correct way?

1.) open bleeder, depress clutch.
2.) close bleeder, release clutch.

the manual said just pump the hell out of it with the bleeder open till there are no more air bubbles. That doesnt make sense to me (not to close it before releasing).

BAD LS1
09-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Yeah there is still air in it if the pedal is sorta spongy, it should be firm right from the top of its travel all the way down. Even my hydraulics system is a real pain to make sure all the air is out, gravity isnt exactly working with you.

The way i find works good is, pump pedal 4 times, hold to the floor with bleeder closed, then while holding to floor yet crack the bleeder open for a sec to realease the pressure, then close it, and pull the pedal back, and then you can hear it suck the fluid from the resvior. make sure you do this like 10-12 times in a row, dont be stingy on the brake fluid.

You are using more pressure to help force any air out this way instead of mild pressure.

Give it a shot this way once, and if you still dont see result and get a much firmer pedal its sucking air from somwhere, make sure you dont bleed it more than 2 times w/o checking the resivior, cuz if you suck that dry your just letting more air back in the system, never let the hole in the bottom get uncovered.

turbogarrett
09-19-2004, 12:00 PM
What he said. Just make sure the pedal is pushed all the way in whenever you crack open the bleeder, or you will draw air into the system. Keep a close eye on the resorvoir, it doesn't take much to drain it because mazda decided it would be a good idea to keep the fluid for the braking and clutch systems in one container.

SMS 1
09-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Check the bushings ect in the pedal and pushrod also. If they're worn you'll never get it to fully disengage no matter how much you bleed it. I had that same problem in my '84. We bled that sucker for like 2 hours before finding worn out bushings that fixed everything.

Cryptic
09-19-2004, 11:44 PM
my clutch disc was backwards... everything had to come back off the car.
Flywheel side
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/rx7_clutch/IMG_1155.sized.jpg

Pressure plate side (notice yellow dots and fatter gear collar thingy)
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/rx7_clutch/IMG_1158.sized.jpg

Yellow dots were facing the flywheel. Yellow dots are supposed to face PP.

The disc material is equal thickness either side, but that collar that the input shaft passes through at mates with the clutch disc itself is offset. If it is on backwards, it presses into the rear flywheel nut. There is actually some slight wear on the thing from trying to push into first, but it looks fine.

in conclusion.. I'm an idiot for not double checking, a quick glance at the clutch disc it looks reversible. But now I can drop a tranny and exhaust in less than 2 hours... while watching a football game. Chris came over and we got everything back on in 2 hours. :rockwoot:
Always easier the second time through it.

Then we took a trip up to Famous Dave's to celebrate a job well done :thumbsup

SMS 1
09-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Oh man that sucks. Oh well at least you got real good experience with your tranny now so the next time Chris fries your clutch it wont be a big deal :goof