PDA

View Full Version : 2.4l turbo Head gasket?

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 05:49 PM
We're trying to dump a car payment, and I found an 08 PT cruiser turbo for 4K. Its got 55K on it, and according to the owner, its leaking coolant out the back, claims this is a head gasket. First... does this sound right, and 2nd, is this a common failure on these, and third does anyone know off-hand how involved the job is? I'd plan on decking the head just for insurance, so if the valves need to come out thats kinda a boner killer. I'm a competent garage mechanic (far from professional), but I know dick about mopar, aside from the transmissions suck.

Input appreciated.

WhatsADSM
12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
The a853/a855 in the srt4/ptgt is actually a very well built engine.

Honestly headgasket issues are pretty rare. That's not to say it can't happen (as it can happen on any engine really) , but certainly not a common issue.

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
The a853 (iirc a855) in the srt4/ptgt is actually a very well built engine.

Honestly headgasket issues are pretty rare. That's not to say it can't happen (as it can happen on any engine really) , but certainly not a common issue.
So, is it something you'd mess with for 4K? Or was this thing most likely run out of coolant causing warped parts and nothing but problems to come?

Prince Valiant
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
PM SRTeh (something like that...) he knows quite a bit about this gen turbo mopar. Just going off what I kind of know, 1) Yes, it could well be a HG, though most HG issues either left oil leaking out the back side of the engine, oil leaking into the antifreeze, or antifreeze leaking into the oil. 2) HG issues were common early in the life of neon's 2.0 engine up until the late 90's, by then different gasket was used...2.4 are based off the 2.0, but insofar as I know, again, after the late 90's it wasn't an omnipresent issue as it had been (HG failures on early models weren't an "if" but simply a "when" w/ most failing b/w 50,000 and 100,000 miles...though I sold mine w/ almost 200,000 purchased new, never needed a HG)....but again, short answer is "no, it's not a common issue w/ the 2.4 turbo".

I would imagine that it's tight to work in the engine compartment of a ptcruiser...there just isn't a lot of room down there and much of what isn't available from the front or back is simply stacked on top...meaning you'll have to take off quite a bit from above before you can even get to the tight spaces in front of and behind the engine before you can pull the head. Of course, it's not impossible, but it doesn't strike me as easy.

Another to ask besides SRTeh would be plumcrazy, since he's a tech for a dodge dealer....

WhatsADSM
12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
So, is it something you'd mess with for 4K? Or was this thing most likely run out of coolant causing warped parts and nothing but problems to come?

I think like any used car its risky. It could be something really simple like a coolant/heater hose or even turbo fitting (tur,bo is in the back of the engine), or it could be something more. Not sure until you really had it diagnosed.

On the plus side I can say is they are generally robust engines (400-500whp is very normal to see out of stock internals), and they are generally inexpensive to fix. Hell IIRC a brand new shortblock from dodge is like $1600.

Edit: I will agree with prince. Had a buddy with a ptgt it was not a great engine bay to work in.

Prince Valiant
12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Not that it changes much, but is the GT? or is this the 180hp version of 2.4 turbo? There were two types in later years...

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
PMs sent to the suggested parties.

I think like any used car its risky. It could be something really simple like a coolant/heater hose or even turbo fitting (tur,bo is in the back of the engine), or it could be something more. Not sure until you really had it diagnosed.

On the plus side I can say is they are generally robust engines (400-500whp is very normal to see out of stock internals), and they are generally inexpensive to fix. Hell IIRC a brand new shortblock from dodge is like $1600.

Edit: I will agree with prince. Had a buddy with a ptgt it was not a great engine bay to work in.

Some risk yes, but if this is just a head gasket (even if its a 1 week knucklebusting job) and its good to go, worth it. But reasonable to assume the problems only start there, not worth it.

Not that it changes much, but is the GT? or is this the 180hp version of 2.4 turbo? There were two types in later years...
Listed as a GT.

spooln30
12-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I highly doubt it's a bad HG. Probably something with the turbo being its back there or worse a cracked head or block. I wouldn't buy it.

spooln30
12-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah, PT Losers are really a PIA to work on. Everything is crammed in there.

srt4eh
12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't do it...pt cruisers suck to work on. Head gaskets could go bad but it's not common on these...at least not that early. It could also be leaking from the turbo coolant lines if its coming from the back side.