PDA

View Full Version : camshaft storage/checking out to make sure its true

sloLs1
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
okk, ive got a stock ls1 cam that has been sitting in a draw(laying flat) for 3-4years. no rust on it. Now i know the correct way to store a camshaft and that is not one of them! is there any way i can check this cam out to make sure is true and not bent?! id hate to put it in a motor and wipe the cam bearings out!

thanks!

Prince Valiant
12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
As long as there is no rust, it shouldn't be bad. Cam's aren't like cranks, with big throws and counterweights that will warp over time if stored improperly. The cranks centerline never touches the ground, whereas a v8 cam has about 5points that contact the ground at it's centerline, keeping the cam true vs a crank stored in a similar manner.

Given that it's a roller cam, I wouldn't think twice about cleaning it up real good and using it. Ideally when storing it, just put a thin layer of grease on it in a plastic bag...but if it's not rusty, it's fine.

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
For what you can pick up a LS1 cam for, I would just get a replacement.. or pick up a zo6 cam for a mild upgrade. I realize this doesn't answer your question, but if its a question mark, why worry?

sloLs1
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
As long as there is no rust, it shouldn't be bad. Cam's aren't like cranks, with big throws and counterweights that will warp over time if stored improperly. The cranks centerline never touches the ground, whereas a v8 cam has about 5points that contact the ground at it's centerline, keeping the cam true vs a crank stored in a similar manner.

Given that it's a roller cam, I wouldn't think twice about cleaning it up real good and using it. Ideally when storing it, just put a thin layer of grease on it in a plastic bag...but if it's not rusty, it's fine.

i didnt think of i that way! i can roll it on my counter and it doesnt wobble but never know i guess if its a few thousandths ofan inch of if i could see that/if it would effect it.

For what you can pick up a LS1 cam for, I would just get a replacement.. or pick up a zo6 cam for a mild upgrade. I realize this doesn't answer your question, but if its a question mark, why worry?

AGREED 100% but i have this one in my hand.... and who knows whre someone elses camshaft has been (lol that sounded bad) could be worse than mine sitting around,but prince made a good point...if itwas sitting in a motor, it would be sitting on the main bearig surfaces... unlike a crankshaft....

ya i would like to spend $400 on a custom ground cam for my turbo build but if i can save $400 now to get the car going and later on add some mods that would be ideal for my budget. im usually the one saying o just spend the extra $$$ now and not worry about it later but now when it comes to spending the $$$ im like fvck, bank account goes south real quick!

sloLs1
12-10-2012, 09:08 PM
i really need to proof read my posts

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
LS6 cam is decent for boost and you can get one for 150, or I have a 228/222 thats just sitting in my 5.3. Just sayin.

sloLs1
12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
LS6 cam is decent for boost and you can get one for 150, or I have a 228/222 thats just sitting in my 5.3. Just sayin.

whats the lsa on that?

ya after thinking about it and reading on ls1tech... this ls1 cam isnt much of an upgrade from a 4.8L.... might aswell just keep looking for something else.

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
114.5 Comp XER lobes

The Shaolin
12-11-2012, 07:59 AM
It's perfectly fine to run.

juicedimpss
12-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Jake,I have a trueing stand here we should be able to use to check runout.

michelle
12-21-2012, 05:57 PM
What's a camshaft? (http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?30353-what-exactly-is-a-cam)

Korndogg
12-21-2012, 06:16 PM
What's a camshaft?

http://www.lunatipower.com/Media/Images/Ford%20Modular%20Crankshaft%204.6L_5.4L.jpg

MurphysLaw88GT
12-21-2012, 08:11 PM
What's a camshaft? (http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?30353-what-exactly-is-a-cam)

Who was the original dude that had that same question? A long time ago.

michelle
12-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Click.