PDA

View Full Version : Garage heaters?

Crawlin
12-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Who's using what to heat their garage? I was thinking of just a small torpedo propane heater since its not a huge space. What do you guys recommend?

Chris

Wagonbacker9
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I've got a propane torpedo. This was MORE than enough for me last winter in my uninsulated 2 car attached. Not exactly quiet though, thats the only down side. Variable from 30-60k

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202223041&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202223041&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5 f%2d202223041&ci_gpa=pla#.UMUDFo6jIoo

Yooformula
12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I put some cheap foam boards in the rafters to block up the updraft and reduce the amount of space to heat in my garage and with a propane torpedo heater and my lights, I had the thing at 62 the past few days while working.

Korndogg
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I was going to insulate my garage this winter but that didn't happen. I'm planning on getting one of those stand up propane heaters and a 100lb tank. My wife's dad has an 8 car garage and that's what he uses and it keeps it pretty toasty. Something like that should keep my 2.5 car garage warm enough haha.

0TransAm0
12-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I was looking at menards yesterday and they have a Remington brand torpedo style electric heater.. Takes 240v tho.
I think im going to give it a shot. But first I have to get the electric run to the garage.. At least then you wont have the smell
Of propane or kerosene from those types of heaters..

Crawlin
12-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Yeah its not a huge space that I'm working in since the only toy is the bike (jealous of the 8 car garage though, haha)

it has finished ceilings so no worries on the rafters thing, i just know nothing would get done if i don't heat it a little bit.

73MACH
12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
If your going to run the electric out there, I suggest something like this or at least this style.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/525723-fahrenheat-ceiling-mount-automatic-electrical-garage-heater.html#.UMVbMBzBNnQ
This is what I have in my uninsulated garage and it has no problem getting it to 60 from 10 in the dead of winter within 45 mins. The best thing about it is you mount it up and out of the way. No open flame or leaving a special 4 foot path open for the heat right out of the torpedo. I bought mine for about $350 on sale. 0 issues in the 2 years I've owned it. Ran alot.

BR3W CITY
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
If your willing to spend a little cash up front (like for your permanent home), and still want electric, the quartz UV heaters are pretty cool. Since they heat the objects, not the air, you never have to touch freeezing wrenches and metal, and you don't "waste" as much heat when you open a door.

spooln30
12-10-2012, 12:51 AM
My friend has a electric one simular to that one from F&F in his fully insulated garage and it take about a hour to a hour and a half to get his 3 car just in the mid 50's. After a couple of hours it does get in the 60's but it does need to turn on quite often to keep it warm. If you want a heater that keeps your garage at least 50 than get a heater that runs off your homes NG. This way u set it at 50 and when you want to use your garage it's somewhat warm and you can get it warmer a lot faster. Propane is a waste of money. Last winter I probably spent $20 a week.

Korndogg
12-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I eventually am going to run natural gas to my garage. I already ran a line to the outside of my house and then put the quick connecter in a water resistant electrical box so the elements don't get to it. I use that for my grill instead of propane.

blackmage
12-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I'm running a kerosene torpedo heater. 1.5 car garage, no insulation, nothing between the roof and the bottom of the rafters, so all wide open. Does awesome for what i need. Until it snuffs itself out and starts blowing raw kerosene into the air and then you cant breathe for shit haha

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 08:44 AM
My friend has a electric one simular to that one from F&F in his fully insulated garage and it take about a hour to a hour and a half to get his 3 car just in the mid 50's. After a couple of hours it does get in the 60's but it does need to turn on quite often to keep it warm. If you want a heater that keeps your garage at least 50 than get a heater that runs off your homes NG. This way u set it at 50 and when you want to use your garage it's somewhat warm and you can get it warmer a lot faster. Propane is a waste of money. Last winter I probably spent $20 a week.

If you're running it full time, absolutely. The cost of a good electric heater isn't justified for as often as I use it.

JOHN 86GT
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Those of you that only heat your garage some of the time , do you notice more rust on things ?

Someone once said that if you are going to store a car , it should be heated all the time in the cold months or not at all to prevent extra rust from the moisture.

73MACH
12-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Those of you that only heat your garage some of the time , do you notice more rust on things ?

Someone once said that if you are going to store a car , it should be heated all the time in the cold months or not at all to prevent extra rust from the moisture.

No rust here

Wagonbacker9
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM

water being a byproduct of combustion, and temperature drop resulting in condensation, this makes sense if you're using non-electric. but I only heat when I have work to do which takes more time to do than heating the garage.

JOHN 86GT
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM
I can kick myself for not doing in floor heat in the garage when it was built .... Someday hope to insulate ceiling and put a heater in it.

WI_Dave
12-11-2012, 06:26 AM
I can kick myself for not doing in floor heat in the garage when it was built .... .

x2 I even asked the builder to do it, they said they wouldn't but I could and they would pour around it. If I woulda known how easy it was I would of done it.

Lv2xlr8
12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
I had help putting in a big dawg modine heater in my 3 car attached garage. I love it. I probably have $1500 invested. Heater, parts, wire, labor.

No rust. I don't really see any condensation either. I only turn it on when I need to work on the cars. From 30° it takes maybe 15min to get to 55°

twicks69
12-11-2012, 09:36 PM
My little 2-car is heavily insulated. I just use a single ceramic radiant heater (Bionaire BH1519) from Target. It's 75* in my garage currently -- with one little silent heater; and no fumes. Cost me like $75.00.

They describe it as a micathermic convection heater.

If it gets really freaking cold out, I change my 6x 100w bulbs out for 4x crystal heat floods and 2x 200w bulbs.

I also have R13 in my walls with 10mm poly sheet and r-covered, an insulated garage door, and 3ft of blown insulation in the attic above the garage.

Wagonbacker9
12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Showing off:

My little 2-car is heavily insulated. I just use a single ceramic radiant heater (Bionaire BH1519) from Target. It's 75* in my garage currently -- with one little silent heater; and no fumes. Cost me like $75.00.

They describe it as a micathermic convection heater.

If it gets really freaking cold out, I change my 6x 100w bulbs out for 4x crystal heat floods and 2x 200w bulbs.

I also have R13 in my walls with 10mm poly sheet and r-covered, an insulated garage door, and 3ft of blown insulation in the attic above the garage.

Reverend Cooper
12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
spend a few bucks,get a natural gas heater hang it and pipe it,they are like 600 bucks at home depot and wont kill you,they are a snap to install you never need to fill a tank,and you can set it at 45 deg all winter and always have a warm car or warm spot to work in

spooln30
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Dido Mike. I do get a wet floor when the temp changes drastically. It's def not good for keeping things rust free. I think it's does this due to not having insulation. I'm gonna put some on the roof in the next couple of week. My walls have some weird fiber board and the siding is the old school aluminum with insulation so my walls are ok. For now. I just want to not get the moisture when the temp changes.

drrodder
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I use a propane heater for emergency fixes in a un-insolated garage. The key is a fresh air supply to the heater. I duck in outside air which keeps the oder of Kerosine down.

OxmanWI
12-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I have wood burning stove in my 3.5 garage right now, but I'm finding that it's not enough to heat all the space I have. Next summer I need to have the garage fully insulated with drywall and the works. I'm thinking about a 4000 watt electric heater / blower to run off my generator so I'm not tearing up my electric bill.

PonyKiller87
12-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I have wood burning stove in my 3.5 garage right now, but I'm finding that it's not enough to heat all the space I have. Next summer I need to have the garage fully insulated with drywall and the works. I'm thinking about a 4000 watt electric heater / blower to run off my generator so I'm not tearing up my electric bill.

4000W heater at $0.10 per kW/H for electricity means it only costs you about $0.40 an hour to run the electric heater. I'm going to guess your generator will burn up more than that in gas every hour.

Does your wood burner have a blower to spread the heat around the garage or does it just radiate off the outside? If it just radiates, put a cheap box fan next to it to blow the hot air out into the room, it will work better. Also make sure your burning hardwood or something that puts out more heat than just pine.

OxmanWI
12-28-2012, 11:38 PM
4000W heater at $0.10 per kW/H for electricity means it only costs you about $0.40 an hour to run the electric heater. I'm going to guess your generator will burn up more than that in gas every hour.

Does your wood burner have a blower to spread the heat around the garage or does it just radiate off the outside? If it just radiates, put a cheap box fan next to it to blow the hot air out into the room, it will work better. Also make sure your burning hardwood or something that puts out more heat than just pine.

hmmm that's not bad for a few hours at a time.