PDA

View Full Version : Who knows small engines?

Slow5oh
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I've got an MTD snowblower with a Tecumseh 10hp Motor, Model: HMSK100

It was running wide open or not at all. So I cleaned the carb, float and checked the gaskets/seats and everything is fine. I put it back together, started it up, and it worked fine, it idle'd like it was supposed, played around with speed adjustment to see if that worked as it should and it was and then it went wide open, and now it's back to either running wide open or not at all.

Anyone have any idea what it could be that it would work for a little bit after I clean/reassemble everything and then as it's running, it would go back to only running wide open or off?

michelle
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Governor stuck on anything?

BAD LS1
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Make sure the linkage at the carb is a. Hooked up and B. the right hole (look for witness marks). If that checks out, do a static governor adjustment. If you aren't familiar with how to, I'll try my best to explain.

Locate the governor arm and a 1/4" headed screw that holds it to the governor shaft. Not the governor shaft pinch bolt!!! Loosen this screw, move the throttle lever to full speed and note the direction that the throttle shaft on the carb turns to go WOT, it will be counter clock wise. Rotate the governor shaft counter clock wise,independent of the governor arm. Hold it tight to cc and tighten the 1/4" screw down and test. If that doesn't fix it or you don't want to attempt the above, I'll be happy to stop by and look at it/fix it.

Slow5oh
12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I took a video, because i found a snowblower forum (no clue they had those)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic0_WDIbHG0&feature=g-crec-u

I basically have zero throttle control.

BAD LS1
12-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Well it's not a governor problem! When u say wide open, I think it takes off for the moon. There is a simple fix, but w/o look at it it's hard to tell if the speed control bracket linkage is the issue or something else

BAD LS1
12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Did you take the carb off and just undo the smaller link to the carb? Or did you take the thicker link off between the governor arm and the speed control bracket too??

Slow5oh
12-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I didn't disconnect any of the linkages and from anything I can find online they are where they are supposed to be. I suppose I should have been a bit more specific in my first post. I didn't remove the carb as I don't have a carb rebuild kit on hand, so I cleaned it as much as I could with it still attached.

BAD LS1
12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Ok, have to verified the throttle shaft moves freely? Did you take the heater box off over the carb? I assume you did to put what looks like a new muffler on it. Hard to tell from the video, but does the rpm stay pretty steady or does it sound like its gradually increasing in speed all on its own?

Slow5oh
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes I did put a new muffler on just today, as the other one was just dangling and I thought it might be part of the problem.

The shaft moves freely, and returns easy as well.

When I first started it after putting everything back together, it was a gradual increase, but now it's kind of as soon as you start it, maybe 5-6 seconds after it's started, it revs up like in the video.

stenchmiester
12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
air leak?