PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Impreza Handling options ??

2006wrxtr
12-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I want to improve my 2002 Impreza 2.5RS's handling.
Don't really want to lower the car, I like not having
to worry about scrapping on bumps and generally not
worrying to much about road conditions.
I am thinking Struts and Swaybars, any recomendations??

wrath
12-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Buy a car not meant for single white mothers that were afraid to buy a Grand Am ten years ago?

twicks69
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Don't forget control arm bushings, swaybar bushings and a set of KYB adjustable struts on stock springs.

For options of brands and pricing, do some looking, as well, Lizmo or myself should be able to get you some good deals through our vendor accounts with parts distributors.

Tim Zimmer - TMZ Performance
Sent from Evo Phone via Tapatalk2

2006wrxtr
12-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Don't forget control arm bushings, swaybar bushings and a set of KYB adjustable struts on stock springs.

For options of brands and pricing, do some looking, as well, Lizmo or myself should be able to get you some good deals through our vendor accounts with parts distributors.

Tim Zimmer - TMZ Performance
Sent from Evo Phone via Tapatalk2

thanks for the useful info

WhatsADSM
12-01-2012, 07:51 PM
As much as I love replacing control arm bushings becareful with that on a daily driver. Your best bet may likely be to simply replace them with stock rubber if they are worn out.

As for the remainder. Its going to be hard to really improve the suspension a ton without lowering the car at all. However there should be a number of decent suspension options out there that will lower the car just a small amount. Since that is just an rs I'll bet those stock springs are awefully soft and keeping them (even with new stiffer damped struts) will leave a LOT to be desired. I disagree with the above and would really recommend replacing the springs just look for ones without a big drop. Ultimately you need to cure the static roll that exists with stock springs.

Since this is your daily I am going to assume that you want just a decent improvement that is livable with daily use and not something that is really a competition setup. In that case I would recommend just keeping it simple and cost effective. Replace the struts with something new and gas. Even simple kyb gas replacements would be fine. Then try to find a decent set of springs that are sprung a little stiffer with a very small drop (like 1")... Eibach pros come to mind. Then finally go with some swaybars. Definitely go adjustable and definitely start with the rear bar first. The sway bars should come with new end links. Replace tie rods (cheap simple insurance) and if can afford to deal with the time/money required for new control arm bushings then go for it. Again I would probably throw new rubber ones in for a daily driver, or else be very careful with your selection of materials (read I wouldn't just go throw poly stuff in there). And most obviously be sure to get the car aligned, if possible you may want to tweak the alignment just a touch depending on what you are going for.

WhatsADSM
12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Buy a car not meant for single white mothers that were afraid to buy a Grand Am ten years ago?
Lol... That did make me chuckle a bit...

Although in the OP's defense that platform is actually pretty decent when it comes to "handling". I can't remember who but someone on BCM thinks its like the best handling car out there (saying it was better than a Vette, lotuses, etc.) While it definitely isn't that, I will agree that they are very good; certainly better than something like say a grand am ;).

spooln30
12-04-2012, 01:34 AM
On my old 96 Legacy L it handled like well a Legacy L so I got some Scion TC 215/45/17 wheels and them alone made a nice difference. Being both our cars run a 205/55/16 OEM tire size the 215/45/17 is the correct upsize that won't mess with your speedo. Mine was dead on. On the cheap you can get a set of 04 STI struts and springs and some Subaru Tribeca sway bars. I know the front sway bar will work but you need to check on the rear. They both work on Legacys so they should on yours too. Our Subarus are the most interchangeable cars I've ever owned, even more than Honda's. You could even find a used 04 STI axle back for a little extra performance and much better sound.