PDA

View Full Version : Rearend Upgrade

PonyKiller87
09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Ok heres the deal I started looking into changing the gears out for larger ones now that I have the T56 in and running. Heres where the problems starts I have the 9 bolt borg warner rear end with disc brakes and 3.27 ratio. The cheapest set of gears I can find Is about $450 for the gears and rebuild/install kit, and that is for 3.70 ratio. I could get a 3.91 or 4.10 for about another $50 or $75.

My question is, would I be better off swapping in a completely different rearend from a 4th gen? I realize if I do that the wheels wont fit right because of the backspacing. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, Im still not sure if I want the 3.70 or the 4.10s anybody out there with the T56 wanna shed some light on expericene they might have or what they think?

BAD LS1
09-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Well the Australian 9 bolt is better than the GM Corporate 10 bolt.

So if you go to a 4th gen 10 bolt, A. its gonna fit funky cuz its longer like you mentioned, B. any kinda EXTREME power or abuse it will not tolerate. If you do occasional drag racing and run regular street tires on the street it might live a decent life. But if you plan on high rpms launches on slicks that will cut it off at the hips.

For $500 for 9 bolt gears, id start saving up for a properly fitting 12 bolt or 9" because it would suck to pop that 9 bolt too after the gears, its a little more expensive than a 100$ carrier and 180$ set of gears for a 10 bolt.

Food for thought...

:3gears:

PonyKiller87
09-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Thats pretty much what I was figuring that for that kind of money I might as well go with something much stronger.

Any idea or ballpark on what a 12 bolt or a 9inch would cost me? or do you know anyone that might have one they need to get rid of? I think I would preffer to go with the 12 bolt just to stick with GM stuff.

BAD LS1
09-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Your average moser 12 bolt for fourth or 3rd gens alike will be anywhere from 1800 to 2500 pending how you option it out.

You dont have abs so that saves a bill, get a spool that will save some yet. and so on...

You might wanan check some 3rd gen boards classifieds and see if you can pick a used one up.

rsscoty
09-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Yes Kevin I would have to agree withTom.
The little Aussie nine bolt is a great rearend if you just gonna do a swap from the 2:73 pegleg drum brake goofy stupid little rearend like I have. Step up and get something that will be able to handle what ever you're gonna throw at it.

I read an article here awhile back in hot rod or some such publication that wa talking about the stock rearend that is in my car and how it could be rebuild with better gears and axles and a posi unit and would be quite stout for up to about 425 whp. Problem was by the time you got done you would have had about 750.00 in the thing. Would of been great if you had that kinda money to just throw away.

Tom I just heard about your cam issues, that sucks man

Scoty

BAD LS1
09-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Tom I just heard about your cam issues, that sucks man
Scoty

Yeah its ok man. I got that sorted out now, lets just say it "should" be fixed. :shades

PonyKiller87
09-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah I looked on ebay and a bunch of other places on line and about the cheapest I found was a used 12bolt for $1000, which already had 4.10s in it. But I cant afford that right now, not unless I sell my 9bolt for about $800, lol. Oh well I guess I will just deal with it for now, summer is almost over anyways.

Kory 88Iroc lt1
09-28-2004, 06:46 PM
My 9 bolt with 373s will be for sale in the next month or so. It's only got about 5k on it since I had the gears installed. I'll let it go for 475 complete.
If you are interested pm me.
Kory