PDA

View Full Version : ~~Swap TPI to Carb .....

67-400
11-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I have 92 Z28 that I just bought a 406 crate motor for. Its a motor primarily set up for carb, however the manufacturer said it would work for my car if I choose to keep it fuel injected. All I would have to do is re-map the computer. With WBD and/or LMT I figured no problem.

So now I got the motor in my garage, I took the intake manifold they gave me off & put my TPIS Miniram intake on to size it up. The intake bolt-holes line up perfect but the intake ports are mis-aligned. The ports are equally sized (height & width) but the ports on the manifold sit lower than the cylinder head ports do.

So I guess I have two options....figuring out how to solve that mis-alignment problem or going carb on my new motor while selling my Miniram intake with my 58mm BBK TB. (any takers?) lol

That being said, whats all involved with converting a computer to carb? Is it as easy as im thinking in my head? (go easy on me, i'm not too technically advanced when it comes to this) New throttle/kickdown cables and adjust, buy a vacuum advanced distributor, toggle switch operated cooling fans and what else? I already have a toggle switch hooked up to the "Lock-up" option on my torque converter. (700R4 auto)

Thanks for your input......
-Mike

outlawgibbs
11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Youll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure down far enough for the carb, unless you want to drop the tank and remove the fuel pump. I dropped the tank on mine and would never do it again. I also converted a 2.8 to a V-8 so it was a bit more work. Other then that its pretty easy

Irish
11-21-2012, 05:00 PM
How did you determine that that runners do not line up?

Prince Valiant
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
What kind of difference are you talking about? Is this with intake gaskets in place? Could just some milling of one surface or another or both correct the difference?

67-400
11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
How did you determine that that runners do not line up?

The ports on the cylinder head are visible over the top of manifold, gasket is in place.

67-400
11-21-2012, 08:45 PM
What kind of difference are you talking about? Is this with intake gaskets in place? Could just some milling of one surface or another or both correct the difference?

I don't envision that helping by the looks of it. The bolt holes line up perfect. I would think milling it would throw that geometry off?

67-400
11-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Youll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure down far enough for the carb, unless you want to drop the tank and remove the fuel pump. I dropped the tank on mine and would never do it again. I also converted a 2.8 to a V-8 so it was a bit more work. Other then that its pretty easy

So I wouldn't have to drop the tank if I get a pressure regulator? Is it really that easy or is there more stuff involved in making sure the pressure is dropped?

67-400
11-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I would still beable to use my 700R4, right? Aside from my lock-up already set up via toggle switch, anything else affectd by the computer?

Irish
11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I would still beable to use my 700R4, right? Aside from my lock-up already set up via toggle switch, anything else affectd by the computer?

Are you talking about running carb with your 700R4? If so, make sure you adjust the kickdown cable correctly.

Prince Valiant
11-21-2012, 10:52 PM
From a quick read, it doesn't appear 85 and earlier heads are compatible w/ L98 style manifolds. Maybe a better answer would be to modify a manifold to work with the TPS stuff, IE, fuel injection ports, throttle body. Or maybe seeing what is out there pre-made, like these from edlebrock, perhaps could work...http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/efi_chevy.shtml

Not sure if all that would clear the hood when in the car.

Irish
11-21-2012, 10:56 PM
From a quick read, it doesn't appear 85 and earlier heads are compatible w/ L98 style manifolds. Maybe a better answer would be to modify a manifold to work with the TPS stuff, IE, fuel injection ports, throttle body. Or maybe seeing what is out there pre-made, like these from edlebrock, perhaps could work...http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/efi_chevy.shtml

Or he could have someone weld injector bungs onto his carb intake, slap a 90 degree or a forward facing elbow, and a 5.0 style 80mm throttle body. Call it a day.

BadAzzGTA89
11-22-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.thirdgen.org/

BadAzzGTA89
11-22-2012, 04:33 PM

You are correct not much room under there!

67-400
11-22-2012, 04:51 PM
You are correct not much room under there!
Got a 4" cowl

67-400
11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
http://www.thirdgen.org/

Thanks, I've been watching that one too.