PDA

View Full Version : Degreeing cams on a Ford 4.6 modular?

OxmanWI
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I would have started this thread in the Ford forum, but I'm hoping to get more views by putting it here. I'm looking for someone in the area that could help me degree and properly time my aftermarket cams with my 4.6 2V modular engine. I know about Marv at C&M, but I do not want to deal with him. I can bring my engine to you or if you can make it to my garage in the Falls that would be great. In exchange for your help I offer beer, food and cash for your time. The engine shop (in chi-town) that assembled my motor did a great job building the long block, but assumed that I had stock PI cams and assembled the timing chains on the stock timing marks. With the modular 4.6 and aftermarket cams, it needs to be degreed and properly timed not only for performance but to avoid piston valve contact. Send a PM for my number or message me.

Thank you BCM!

Josh

animal
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Good luck.

OxmanWI
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Haha, I'm screwed right?

blackmage
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Do you have any type of adjustable cam gears? or the stock ones that are keyed on?

OxmanWI
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Stock cam and crank gears

blackmage
11-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Well you're giong to need a way to adjust the timing, so you should start off here. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51800505/
If you're any sort of mechanically inclined, get yourself a decent degree wheel and just follow through these steps with a friend. (Friend for moral support as its a tedious and time consuming process haha) http://www.modularheadshop.com/Articles/Cam%20degree.htm

I degreed my 4v but that was hell, the 2v should be a lot easier.

Irish
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Well you're giong to need a way to adjust the timing, so you should start off here. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51800505/
If you're any sort of mechanically inclined, get yourself a decent degree wheel and just follow through these steps with a friend. (Friend for moral support as its a tedious and time consuming process haha) http://www.modularheadshop.com/Articles/Cam%20degree.htm

I degreed my 4v but that was hell, the 2v should be a lot easier.

What was hellacious about it? What cams were you using? I'm a 4V guy also.

OxmanWI
11-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I figure I might be doing it myself. I know about the adjustable gears, but I don't have all the tools to do the job. I wonder if I can rent those tools from autozone or a parts store since that will be the only time I use it. I got my cams and other parts from Nick at MHS. I've been trying to call him all week to get some info but he just sold his company and the number and email doesn't work.

Irish
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I figure I might be doing it myself. I know about the adjustable gears, but I don't have all the tools to do the job. I wonder if I can rent those tools from autozone or a parts store since that will be the only time I use it. I got my cams and other parts from Nick at MHS. I've been trying to call him all week to get some info but he just sold his company and the number and email doesn't work.

I heard about that on another forum!!! I'd be willing to help out. Did you get my pm?

OxmanWI
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you after the last PM you sent. I had sent out a dozen or so PM's on here. I ended up sending my cams with sprockets back to Nick so he could degree them and get the TFS crank gears. Nick sold MHS to Excessive Motorsports and works for them now. There should be a new website soon. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

blackmage
11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
how is he going to degree the cams without the engine?

Irish
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM

I am wondering that too!

Russ Jerome
11-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Stock cams have flats on rear to align, easier with tools but can be made out of flatstock from Menards.
I did it on a 87 LSC, did heads and all in car without a glitch but labor intensive with all the gears.

Reverend Cooper
11-23-2012, 06:17 PM
I told you to hit up Russ,where is the confusion?

lit666
11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/COMP4-102.pdf

OxmanWI
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM

I am wondering that too!

You send your cams with cam sprockets in the mail. He will test and measure the cams, label the cam sprocket with the degree. Mine were Left side 120 and Right side 114.5. You then install the cams with sprockets with the right side timing mark at 10 o'clock and the left side 2 o'clock. Your crankshaft key needs to be at TDC. You then put on the trick flow gears with the advanced or retard degrees with the timing chains matched up. By doing it this way you don't have to degree the cams with the wheel or tools. Not as precise as an infinitely adjustable set of cam gears or using the wheel but you will be within one degree. More importantly they won't be too far advanced so that the intake valve hits, nor too retarded so that the exhaust valve hits.

Thanks again for all the replies and help.

DurtyKurty
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Sounds sketchy.

Irish
11-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Sounds sketchy.

Agreed.

blackmage
11-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Sounds sketchy.

Agree also. Thats not accounting for possible stretch in the chains or wear. Im willing to bet, even with new chains in there, you could be closer to a few more degrees off than you think.