PDA

View Full Version : Millermatic 211

gen2guy
11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I know some of you on here have purchased this welder i just wanted to know how you like them and if they have held up and if they are what u expected. I am looking to purchase one.

WI_Dave
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I like my 211, though I have not used it as much as I planned yet. Simple to use, versitile, 110/220v and the spool gun for aluminum is $200 when the next machine up the spool gun was $800.

gen2guy
11-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks Dave, did you buy local or online?

WI_Dave
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
I bought it local from airgas but shopped online first. They beat any price I found then they gave me a discount because where I work has an account with them and they saw the caller ID when I called from there lol.

BR3W CITY
11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I wanted one, but the price was killing me. I ended up finding the Hobart 210MVP, made by the same parent company and most of the wear parts are completely interchangeable. There are some small differences (poly guide wheel instead of metal, slightly different whip, not much but slightly). Its more than $350 cheaper than the miller, and has the same warranty.

PonyKiller87
11-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I wanted one, but the price was killing me. I ended up finding the Hobart 210MVP, made by the same parent company and most of the wear parts are completely interchangeable. There are some small differences (poly guide wheel instead of metal, slightly different whip, not much but slightly). Its more than $350 cheaper than the miller, and has the same warranty.

Will the hobart still take the $200 spool gun?

BR3W CITY
11-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes and no. I don't know exactly which spool gun you saw, because they changed the connection type on them a while ago.

Most common is the SpoolMate 100, which is ~180-250$ depending where you find it, and is designed for the Miller 211
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/wire_feeders/spoolmate_100_series/

The Hobart unit uses a SLIGHTLY different connector (which is the same as older Miller units, so you may be able to find a used miller gun that fits...but thats up to luck and creativity). The spool gun itself is the SpoolRunner 100...the exact same thing...with a different connector....and its cheaper, with the same capabilities.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/spoolguns/spoolrunner-100/

I've actually read on weldingweb. that the tapped power on the Hobart units (i.e. the "cheap" setup) responds better to spool gun usage, including on aluminum, than the digital power on the Miller MVP units.

If you want to come and try my Hobart 210MVP (on 120 and 75/25, I don't have 220v access here) your welcome to do so. I have scrap etc.

spooln30
11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Using a MIG to weld aluminum is not ideal even though they sell migs that do so. If you plan on welding aluminum more often then save your money and just get a TIG welder. The welds come out so much better and you'll be able to weld anything. I've used a spool-gun mig on aluminum and I didn't like the welds at all and when you start getting into the more high grade aluminum the mig will not cut it. But if your not going to need the precision of a TIG then the Miller and Hobart migs are great. What ever you do DO NOT buy any welder from Harbor Freight. LOL.