PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck with ebay, attempting to get a refund via ebays resolution center

pOrk
10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I bought 2 leather bucket seats and a rear bench from a seller on ebay with great feedback. Front seats are heated and full power, rear bench is simply that. After receiving and installing the seats I noticed its missing part of the wiring harness for the seat track position sensor and the lower heating element in the seat is non-functioning. The seller offers to give me a refund minus shipping costs, and this doesn't sit well with me at all. That's 175 dollars in shipping costs EACH WAY for items that were described as in great working, COMPLETE condition. Obviously its not complete since part of the wiring harness is missing and the heating element is non-op.

Anyways I've opened a claim via ebay and they are giving him a week to respond. How does this generally work, am I right in thinking he needs to cover shipping expenses? Will ebay make me ship the seats back before I get a refund?

The last time something like this happened, I was the buyer and never actually received the item and paypal couldn't recover the funds for me. I was out 800 bucks and that was 6 years ago, also the last time I used ebay or paypal. Nice knowing that the first time I use ebay again I run into problems :\

pOrk
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Also, I attempted to get a partial refund for him to either cover the expense of having the seat covers switched onto my seats ( $250 ) or having the drivers seat heating element replaced ( $225 ) and having the wiring harness replaced ( $87.98 ) and he refused both options stating that the auction was for a set of power heated seats and had no mention of having the wiring harnesses included.

-stew-
10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
You're putting these in your jeep that wasn't equipped with these features?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

pOrk
10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Jeep was equipped with everything except leather.

After reading through ebays protection policy, it appears that I will have to cover the return shipping of 175 bucks. Am I better off disputing the transaction with Visa?

Yooformula
10-26-2012, 04:15 PM
can you post a link to the ad? IMO, you are sol in terms of getting a full refund since you installed the rear seats already. I dont see why you wouldnt have got a full refund if what you got wasnt what was listed in the ad.

pOrk
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
They are used what's it matter if they were installed? I had no idea the wiring harness was missing stuff till I plugged the seats in and got the air bag lights and obviously couldn't test the heat elects before the seats were installed.

GTSLOW
10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Did you use paypal?

Car Guy
10-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Am I better off disputing the transaction with Visa?

YES. Call them.

-stew-
10-27-2012, 09:56 AM
From the ebay listing:

2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
4 DOOR LIMITED
5.7L V8 4WD
VIN# 1J4HR58285C555130
OEM COLOR NAME : LIGHT GREYSTONE

This listing is for a complete set of front and rear seats out of a 2005 GRAND CHEROKEE. These seats are in good pre-owned condition, there are no major stains, cuts, rips, or tears. The leather is in good shape with some minor normal wear. These seats are all electric with manual lumbar, memory, and are heated. Back seat has a fold down center console, as well as pull out cupholders. These are complete with the tracks and headrests. All used seats are cleaned before the auction, though may require some minor cleaning upon arrival, as any used part would.

Included in this Auction

1.) Both Left and Right Front Seats with Tracks and Headrests

2.) Complete Back Seat

I don't know dude, the ad doesn't say anywhere that they tested all the functions, or that all the functions worked. You shoulda called coleman. Or bought local.

Wagonbacker9
10-27-2012, 11:25 AM
seats are in good pre-owned condition,

IMO that covers basic functionality. Also, he stated that the seats are heated. That means the heating elements function. This is a "not as described" claim. And I would also refuse to ship back, as you just need a couple of operating parts to make them "as described".

If you get the shaft here, is it that hard to swap the leather covers onto your seats? I'm not familiar with Jeep but on many makes its really not that difficult.

Nickerz
10-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Its highly unlikely you're going to be offered anything other than what you've been offered already. If the item is under $20, eBay will often cover the whole item if there is a dispute. In this case they'll tell you that you can ship the item back and pay for it.

Yooformula
10-27-2012, 02:56 PM
You can argue that they dont work and see if ebay/paypal will allow a full refund incl shipping based on just that. The ad says nothing about including the wiring harness so that would be a losing point for you if are trying to get $$ refunded for that otherwise box em up and demand a full refund based on them not working.

pOrk
10-27-2012, 05:19 PM
The seats will not function without a wiring harness and in our ebay messages he did state all original wiring is intact and included and the seats functioned. Ebay has all that info. There should be a resolution from ebay within 48 hours so we will see how it goes. I have no problem shipping them back, but I am not paying for it since the ONLY reason I bought them was due to them being listed as complete used working seats. I could have had the entire interior redone at a place on the south side in leather for 999 and now that this went the way it did, I wish I would have done that from the get go. I just prefer OEM quality leather interiors over aftermarket.

theavenger333
10-28-2012, 04:44 PM
i've been through a ton of ebay disputes. Honestly, you're gonna get what you're offered at best. It doesn't say anything specifc about the wiring harnesses. Because the harness' are removable, they aren't guaranteed. It says they include the tracks, but nothing about the harness'.

You definatly have a legit claim with the Heater not working, it says in the auction they are heated seats, and are are functional. Even if you win an ebay claim, you will still not get a free transaction though. Shipping costs are never guaranteed. I don't buy anything used on ebay, there are way too many ways things can go wrong. Especially with a big item such as these.